closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sellita SW200 Problem

Sellita SW200 Problem

I got a watch the other day only 9 months old which has a Sellita SW200 movement . I've been wearing it no stop
    but the other day I took it of and noticed the power reserve only lasted for about 20 hours give or take should be 38hrs

So I went to wind it up by hand and it just didn't feel right the rotor started to spin as I was turning the crown and then
    I knew I'd broken something it as it felt like a bag of nails and the second hand just stopped and that was that bugger

I believe this is known problem with the movement SW200 movement and was fixed with the SW200-1

Thankfully it has a 2 year warranty so I'm going to post it of today and see what they say

I'll keep you posted

Master
    What watch is it inside?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Its a Spinnaker Tesei the watch I was really enjoying just one of them things I guess

Last edited by bazza.; 27th September 2019 at 08:55.

Just contacted there service centre and no worries they said must likely they'd fit a new movement and turn round is about 2 weeks
    So I'll going to leave a note with the watch asking which movement they we be fitting a SW200 or the SW200-1 should be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I got a watch the other day only 9 months old which has a Sellita SW200 movement . I've been wearing it no stop
    but the other day I took it of and noticed the power reserve only lasted for about 20 hours give or take should be 38hrs

So I went to wind it up by hand and it just didn't feel right the rotor started to spin as I was turning the crown and then
    I knew I'd broken something it as it felt like a bag of nails and the second hand just stopped and that was that bugger

I believe this is known problem with the movement SW200 movement and was fixed with the SW200-1

Thankfully it has a 2 year warranty so I'm going to post it of today and see what they say

I'll keep you posted

I believe the quality of the ratchet wheel on the SW200 is not good and the teeth shear of them .

Just found this online so fingers crossed I get the SW200-1

Grand Master
    Interesting, I didn`t know this. The ratchet wheel teeth can shear on the ETA 2824, but usually it needs the owner to do something 'unwise' with the watch. I came across one where the reversers had stuck, making hand-winding of the watch stiff, but the owner applied force to the crown and was determined to get a result.....which ended with the ratchet teeth shearing.

Another cause of shearing the ratchet wheel teeth is if the watch powers down in an uncontrolled manner, but this shouldn't happen in normal use.

Root cause of the OP's problem is a sticking reverser, I`d bet a pound to a penny on this. My advice to anyone is to not force things if the hand-winding doesn`t feel right, further damage is likely.

Many Sellita and ETA parts are interchangeable, but some are not. Having different variants of Sellita further complicates things.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 27th September 2019 at 12:37.

I had a Sinn U1 with the sellita movement and it felt so rough to wind I sent it back directly to Sinn - who sent it back with a detailed note saying it was functioning perfectly. Apparently it’s a ‘feature’ of the movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    The Sellita should feel no different from an ETA 2824. I find 2824s benefit from extra lubrication to the crown wheel and winding wheel teeth, if not they can feel a bit gritty. There isn`t much mechanical advantage in the hand winding compared to a 2892, a 28245 takes 30 twists to fully wind whereas a 2892 takes around 50. As far as I know the mainsprings are a similar length, certainly not a huge difference, so 2892s always feel a bit smoother.

Lightly greasing the back of the winding wheel is another useful trick with a 2824, it can contact the mainplate and wear if it isn`t lubricated, Sellita 200 will be the same.

Sometimes there's a simple answer when a watch doesn`t feel nice to wind, I always check that the movement's sitting correctly in the case, if not the stem isn`t aligned properly.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The Sellita should feel no different from an ETA 2824. I find 2824s benefit from extra lubrication to the crown wheel and winding wheel teeth, if not they can feel a bit gritty. There isn`t much mechanical advantage in the hand winding compared to a 2892, a 28245 takes 30 twists to fully wind whereas a 2892 takes around 50. As far as I know the mainsprings are a similar length, certainly not a huge difference, so 2892s always feel a bit smoother.

Lightly greasing the back of the winding wheel is another useful trick with a 2824, it can contact the mainplate and wear if it isn`t lubricated, Sellita 200 will be the same.

Sometimes there's a simple answer when a watch doesn`t feel nice to wind, I always check that the movement's sitting correctly in the case, if not the stem isn`t aligned properly.
    Interesting cheers

Interesting, I didn`t know this. The ratchet wheel teeth can shear on the ETA 2824, but usually it needs the owner to do something 'unwise' with the watch. I came across one where the reversers had stuck, making hand-winding of the watch stiff, but the owner applied force to the crown and was determined to get a result.....which ended with the ratchet teeth shearing.

Another cause of shearing the ratchet wheel teeth is if the watch powers down in an uncontrolled manner, but this shouldn't happen in normal use.

Root cause of the OP's problem is a sticking reverser, I`d bet a pound to a penny on this. My advice to anyone is to not force things if the hand-winding doesn`t feel right, further damage is likely.

Many Sellita and ETA parts are interchangeable, but some are not. Having different variants of Sellita further complicates things.

The OP mentioned the rotor spinning when winding , so I have no doubt you are correct about the sticking reverser I have had this problem with some of my watches in the past .

I mentioned the ratchet wheel teeth because this is the known problem with the sw200 .

Master
    100% it's the reverser.

Blog Entries
    I find 2824s benefit from extra lubrication to the crown wheel and winding wheel teeth, if not they can feel a bit gritty.
    Very interesting. I often find 2824s are bit on the gritty side when winding and this makes a lot of sense.