closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iOS 13.0 and iOS/iPadOS 13.1.3 (now out)

iOS 13.0 and iOS/iPadOS 13.1.3 (now out)

So iOS 13.0 was released yesterday evening for the iPhone. iOS 13.1 will be coming on 24th for the iPad. I’ve updated my iPhone X because I’m picking up an Apple Watch 5 today. If I hadn’t been I would have waited for the second update.

For those that have installed, what do you think of the new features?

I really like the new swipe keyboard. It seems to work better than GBoard does. I also like dark mode, especially for the settings screen.

The new share sheet looks well organised. I like the new Aa button at the top left of Safari which gives access to settings such as ad blocking.

I need to read the MacStories review to find out about all the new features.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/i...tories-review/
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 16th October 2019 at 20:56.

Looking forward to the new features as well and hoping the download doesn't take the 2 hours it said it would take!

Took me 40 minutes in all.

Keyboard swipe looks useful, have to try it for a while.

Wasn't dark mode already available?

Blog Entries
    I like it - set my background to total black and using 'dark mode'. I like the swipe keyboard too - seems to pick the right words accurately. Make sure to back up your devise before the upgrade. We all do that of course don't we?

Photos app is better - dark mode 'maps' is crap - can't see a thing!!

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wasn't dark mode already available?
    Dark mode is new. You can set it to always on or to come on in the evening and switch off in the morning. You do this in the Display and Brightness settings.

Hello

It seems to be ok. I like the dark mode.

One thing I have noticed is is that if I'm listening to music and respond to a text / whatsapp it stops the music.

Anyone else have this.

Best,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Dark mode is new. You can set it to always on or to come on in the evening and switch off in the morning. You do this in the Display and Brightness settings.
    There was dark mode accessible by triple press of side button (though not automatic by time of day) isn’t that the same?

There was dark mode accessible by triple press of side button (though not automatic by time of day) isn’t that the same?
    No it’s not. That was an accessibility setting which allowed you to reduce the brightness of the screen or invert the colours. Dark Mode keeps the same brightness but changes the interface colour to be mainly white text on a black background.

A nice little feature in Notes is being able to rearrange the order in a checklist with drag and drop, and also move all ticked items to the bottom in one go if need be. I have quite a few lists for recipes and shopping and these features will be useful. I also like the way the Photos app works now. The claim that the new IOS would speed up devices seems to hold true, the Oxford English Dictionary was always the slowest of all my apps to open, it's instant now.
    F.T.F.A.

iOS 13.0 and 13.1

No it’s not. That was an accessibility setting which allowed you to reduce the brightness of the screen or invert the colours. Dark Mode keeps the same brightness but changes the interface colour to be mainly white text on a black background.
    It also gave mainly white text on black background - looks the same to me. Method still works to toggle dark mode.

Edit - May be different in that apps like maps didn’t use it but text based apps (settings, mail etc) did.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 20th September 2019 at 12:52.

It also gave mainly white text on black background - looks the same to me. Method still works to toggle dark mode.

Edit - May be different in that apps like maps didn’t use it but text based apps (settings, mail etc) did.
    This is an accessibility setting (Settings - Accessibility - Accessibility Shortcut). You can assign 9 different functions to this shortcut including Smart Invert Colours. This is not the same as Dark Mode. Smart Invert Colours inverts the colours of everything. This includes webpages. Dark Mode inverts the interface but not content like web pages. It is possible for a web designer to code a web page to change appearance if iOS Dark Mode is enabled.

Dark Mode status can also be checked by apps which can then implement their own dark mode interface. It is a much more powerful feature than Smart Invert Colours.

Master
    I like it mostly, although I’m running 13.1 Beta 4 so my experience is likely slightly different to yours.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    I like it mostly, although I’m running 13.1 Beta 4 so my experience is likely slightly different to yours.
    I was considering putting 13.1 on my iPad Pro but haven’t yet. I think I can wait until 24th when it is due to be released.

One thing to be aware of is the Reminders database is not backwards compatible after it has been upgraded to iOS 13 format. When you open Reminders for the first time it asks if you want to upgrade the database. It tells you which devices you can upgrade to support the new format and also which ones won’t support it. In my case it tells me I need to upgrade my iPad and MacBook Pro. It also tells me an old 2009 MacBook Pro I have won’t support the new format. Finally it tells you who you share reminders lists with. This is helpful if you use it for something like a shared shopping list. Before you upgrade the database you will need to make sure the other people can use iOS 13.

This is an accessibility setting (Settings - Accessibility - Accessibility Shortcut). You can assign 9 different functions to this shortcut including Smart Invert Colours. This is not the same as Dark Mode. Smart Invert Colours inverts the colours of everything. This includes webpages. Dark Mode inverts the interface but not content like web pages. It is possible for a web designer to code a web page to change appearance if iOS Dark Mode is enabled.

Dark Mode status can also be checked by apps which can then implement their own dark mode interface. It is a much more powerful feature than Smart Invert Colours.
    The features are linked because Smart Invert Colours shortcut now toggles Dark Mode.
    Smart Invert Colours never inverted colours of apps like Maps.

Craftsman
    So iOS 13.0 was released yesterday evening for the iPhone. iOS 13.1 will be coming on 24th for the iPad.
    For those that have installed, what do you think of the new features?

I really like the new swipe keyboard. It seems to work better than GBoard does. I also like dark mode, especially for the settings screen.

[/url]
    Its just like my windows phone was 5 years ago, swipe keboard and dark display, hurrah !

First impressions are good.

Not tried the keyboard sweep yet.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    Its just like my windows phone was 5 years ago, swipe keboard and dark display, hurrah !
    Had this on my very old Samsung S4 as well many, many years ago.

Craftsman
    I’ve been running ios13 on my phone and iPad for a while through the beta program and I think the extra features are pretty good, i particularly like being able to insert a picture directly from your iPhone camera, without saving and sending it etc, but the feature i like the most is being able to use the iPad as a second screen for my Mac, it works brilliantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    First impressions are good.

Not tried the keyboard sweep yet.
    Keyboard sweep typing is really good

Try swiping the longest words you know and it gets them right

Master
    Is it just me or is double tap to zoom in safari broken now

Absolutely loving the swipe keyboard, although it seems to fail occasionally.
    Hopefully the next update will iron out a few bugs.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Not just you.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    It works on my iPhone X. I haven’t installed the beta in my iPad so can’t say what that does.

It works on my iPhone X. I haven’t installed the beta in my iPad so can’t say what that does.
    Reports have it that this is the worst and most broken of all of Apple's releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Reports have it that this is the worst and most broken of all of Apple's releases.
    I haven’t had any issues on my iPhone X but have seen the same reports. Had I not needed to install for the Watch 5 I would have waited for 13.1 on Tuesday.

I’m running iPadOS 13 beta 4 and it’s pretty solid, browser that identifies as a Desktop is a great feature!

Installed iOS 13 on my iPhone X and have the following observations:

- The swipe to type feature I've used a couple of times when I've remembered and it's highly accurate - quite impressive.
    - Despite being set to update apps automatically on both WiFi and 4G they didn't and still don't automatically update; I used to check manually once a day or so. I've just checked in the almost hidden area where you now check and there were 16 apps awaiting update. What were we waiting for? For me the 'Update' tab has moved and been replaced by 'Arcade' that I will never use - see below.
    - I believe it's got to the stage now where on setup there should be options to hide certain capabilities. For me: Games, Arcade, Animojis and the like - I will never use them and I would prefer to have the ability to hide all that stuff that has such prominence now.
    - Not strictly an iOS 13 issue but Photo Stream hasn't worked with Windows 10 on either my desktop or laptop for well over a year and no amount of searching for a solution has resolved the issue. Apple - get it fixed!
    - Dark Mode is meh. I have it seto to use Dark Mode between sunset and sunrise and using the apps is fine but the appearance of the main screen with lots of folders of apps isn't nice.

Last edited by Skier; 22nd September 2019 at 07:05.

I was on the 13 beta and posted about the lack of app updates and that they had now been tucked away but never had a reply so it looks like they ignored my comments.

Craftsman
    Urgh have to wait for it to be pushed out by work before I can install.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1981 View Post
    Urgh have to wait for it to be pushed out by work before I can install.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Opposite situation for me, I have 7-10 days grace period in which to install the latest IOS updates otherwise my access to work email and other apps is revoked!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Can you provide links to these reports please? I've only seen good reviews and it works perfectly on my device.
    F.T.F.A.

Another annoying thing is health, used to go straight to your weekly summary, now it always gives you a daily overview with extra selections required to get to weekly.

Craftsman
    I seem to be having an issue where I can see my notifications from the standby screen but tapping on them does nothing, even when the phone is unlocked. Other than that, no problems and I’m pretty happy with the changes they’ve made.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I seem to have a new forum related issue; I can no longer paste image links from my hosting app into a post. That’s a massive deal!!

I shall investigate today.

So the introduction of iOS 13 means I can no longer post pics on the forum. Brilliant.

Anyone else found this? If so, how did you resolve it please?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    So the introduction of iOS 13 means I can no longer post pics on the forum. Brilliant.

How did you post pics from your phone before? Whatever is causing your problem may be fixed on Tuesday with 13.1.

No problems here on my iPhone 7plus using either Tapatalk to post images direct from device, or via iCab browser using links from my SmugMug account.
    F.T.F.A.

I can still post pics via Postimage hosting on my iPad as it doesn't have iOS13 yet. So it's definitely the upgrade that's knacked it for me.

How did you post pics from your phone before? Whatever is causing your problem may be fixed on Tuesday with 13.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    No problems here on my iPhone 7plus using either Tapatalk to post images direct from device, or via iCab browser using links from my SmugMug account.

Craftsman
    I'm having a few glitches...

Photos or emails deleted are sometimes still there.
    Month names in Google Calender have random letters missing.
    Battery life seems to have shortened dramatically, may be some settings that are using processes that i dont know about.

It's destroyed my battery!!

I'm losing 50% every half hour. It's also broken my daughter's Instagram. I think a trip to Apple is required.

Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    I'm having a few glitches...

Photos or emails deleted are sometimes still there.
    Month names in Google Calender have random letters missing.
    Battery life seems to have shortened dramatically, may be some settings that are using processes that i dont know about.

It's destroyed my battery!!

I'm losing 50% every half hour. It's also broken my daughter's Instagram. I think a trip to Apple is required.
    If you go into Battery settings, it tells you what is using the battery. It would be worth looking at what’s causing the issue there before going to Apple.

Instagram works with no problem on my phone. Has your daughter tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

What phone are you using? Yesterday my iPhone X had 5h 5m of screen on and 3h 23m of screen off time, using 90% of the battery. My battery health is 92%.

Completely screwed my iPhone x
    Done something weird to my contacts and so when a message comes in it just says the number and not the name. Also the numbers for all contacts are now placed in a different format, so box it xx xx xx xx
    instead of xxxxxxxxxxx

Tried everything and I still can’t post pics :(

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    This update bricked my SE. Spent a good few hours yesterday trying to get it back as it stated it’s failed and to contact Support. Ended up using iTunes in the end to get it back.

It’s now working although I’ve lost a few items i.e. passwords saved for websites, finger prints and app passwords.

B

Seamless for me TBH.

I always make sure everything is updated and backed up - all apps. etc. before I embark on this and I have never had an issue.

For those having problems it might be best to reset the phone and start from scratch?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I see my iPad Air is no longer supported and won’t receive 13. Obviously, it works just fine but would it be a security risk to continue with it on 12.4.1?

Upgrade to my XR seems to have gone ok BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I see my iPad Air is no longer supported and won’t receive 13. Obviously, it works just fine but would it be a security risk to continue with it on 12.4.1?

Upgrade to my XR seems to have gone ok BTW.
    If any security problems come up for 12.4.1, Apple have shown they will update old versions. In July iOS 9 and 10 were both patched.

If any security problems come up for 12.4.1, Apple have shown they will update old versions. In July iOS 9 and 10 were both patched.
    Thanks, Phil. That’s good to know.

iOS 13.1 has been released.

iOS 13.1 has been released.
    iPadOS 13.1 available for my iPad though no sign of an update for my iPhone X.
    Last edited by Skier; 24th September 2019 at 19:53.