closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby world cup 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    How can you say this? Tonga shipped 92 points against New Zealand and 44 points against Japan in the past month. England were abject. The good thing is it was a gimme match and not a crucial game but they need to get better
    Because the Pacific Island Nations are woefully underfunded and cannot have their players in camp for months in advance of the competition, so those results give a false sense of thir worth.
    The Tongan preparation games were bound to start with a car crashes, as they have to collect their players from all 4 corners of the earth for the first time in ages.
    If you compare todays team to the one that played in the Pacific Nations cup earlier this summer, it is 80% different.
    But once assembled, their team improves quickly because they are talentend and great rugby playing nations (20% of all of the world's professional rugby players come from Fiji, Tonga or Samoa).
    Do you really think, watching the Tongans play today that NZ would put another 97 points on them? No. Japan over 40? - no chance. NZ 40? Maybe.
    Tonga's ability was poorly represented by those warm-up results, because they went into those games half-baked. They are better than that, and come the big stage, they want to prove it, so they will have played their best today.
    And they may continue to do so, but they may also dip in form if it becomes clear that qualification from the group is unattainable.
    England certainly left some points on the table today, no doubt, but they did okay.

D

Master
    Getting all the wee jobs(ie forum browsing) done now before the rugby starts today, looking for a classic Welsh performance===

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Getting all the wee jobs(ie forum browsing) done now before the rugby starts today, looking for a classic Welsh performance===
    From start of the second half until the last few minutes certainly weren't classic. But what the heck, a confident win with bonus point secured in the first half, job well done!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Pity it is so far, I would go to Japan in a heart beat if it was not SOOOO far
    Really? I have a lot of friends who want to go but can't quite pull the trigger, but with an event to attend there it would make it unmissable. I'm quite liking the Sue Perkins two-parter on Japan, summarises my own feelings and experience, an amazing, unique place to visit as a tourist but not a place to live.

How can you say this? Tonga shipped 92 points against New Zealand and 44 points against Japan in the past month. England were abject. The good thing is it was a gimme match and not a crucial game but they need to get better
    Easy, because it's based upon facts and knowledge, rather than some misguided dislike of the "Orcs" (which you seem the want to refer to the England Team as) and your seemly ignorance of World Rugby. .

As for previous results. Again, it means very little. Just a few weeks ago England put Ireland (the number 1 team in the world) to the sword by a record amount. Do you think that England would achieve the same next week? Highly unlikely. Plus don't forget that in August, Australia beat NZ 47 to 26, and NZ only just managed to beat Argentina by 4 points. Neither results are likely to be repeated in the coming weeks.

Winning the WC is about peaking at the right time. The only thing a team can achieve in the first 3 weeks of the competition is to lose its chance to progress to the knock out stages. As demonstrated by England in 2015.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Tom English, who is Irish but works for BBC Scotland, doesn't miss in this piece:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49788522
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Tom English, who is Irish but works for BBC Scotland, doesn't miss in this piece:

Crikey, he's not sugar-coating it, is he?

The 2019 Rugby World Cup. A festival of rugby, with the greatest teams in the world. And Scotland.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I saw that piece I thought he had to be Scottish to get away with the venom, if that's not a call to arms for the Scots I don't know what is
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Rugby world cup 2019

If you apply that logic then you could say that since England put 50 points on Ireland in the warmups and Ireland beat the ABs last year then it follows that England will notch up 60+ against the All Blacks.....

Personally I have no doubt that England will be better against France and Argentina

Sorry Andyg - I see you’ve made the same point - and rather mote eloquently than me!
    Last edited by CriticalMass; 23rd September 2019 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

The 2019 Rugby World Cup. A festival of rugby, with the greatest teams in the world. And Scotland.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.

But just when you think it couldnt get any worse for Scotland, it now looks as if Ali Price is out for the rest of competition.

I have never been a fan of Laidlaw, and lived in the hope that Gregor would see the light - alas that option have now gone. Great news for Japan though.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.

But just when you think it couldnt get any worse for Scotland, it now looks as if Ali Price is out for the rest of competition.

I have never been a fan of Laidlaw, and lived in the hope that Gregor would see the light - alas that option have now gone. Great news for Japan though.

Laidlaw does an excellent job as assistant referee...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Really? I have a lot of friends who want to go but can't quite pull the trigger, but with an event to attend there it would make it unmissable. I'm quite liking the Sue Perkins two-parter on Japan, summarises my own feelings and experience, an amazing, unique place to visit as a tourist but not a place to live.
    For me it would be a 3 hour drive to the airport, 11+ hours flight plus all the extras.

It would end up over 30 hours round trip and it is too daunting for me personally

Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    I saw that piece I thought he had to be Scottish to get away with the venom, if that's not a call to arms for the Scots I don't know what is
    Iain Morrison (a former Scotland international & member of the 1995 World Cup squad) has a go at Townsend & the team in The Scotsman:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby...ules-1-5009848
    ______

​Jim.

Scotland's issue is consistency. On their day they can beat anyone. On their day they can also lose to anyone. I'd fancy them for the quarters at least though
    Nah - they look woeful of late - outgunned with ease by the Irish - and need to seriously open the locker to pick up anything

Dull as it is - NZ will win - and it will still be an exciting ride for the semi finalists onwards - Ireland will still have their shout I reckon too

Master
    I reckon(hope) that Scotland will come good, but as usual, too little, too late.

Roll on the pro 14 and the chance of a win.

Master
    I really don't see Scotland raising a smile, let alone their game.
    Given the trouncing by Ireland and now losing Hamish Watson and Ali Price, I really don't see us getting out of our group without a struggle. I'm surprised to hear that Henry Pyrgos is flying out but it could give George Horne a good chance to prove himself.

Master
    I'm flying out this week with work and hoping that we have secured a ticket for Eng v Arg. Hope England hit their straps for that game in Tokyo!

A team ranked 10, loses to a team ranked 19 - who would have thought it.

Wonderful result by Uruguay. It just goes to show that upsets can happen or team's can perform better than their previous form suggests.

Friedrich Nietzsche

The Uruguay defence was fantastic
    The Uruguay vs Georgia game will be a cracker.

I believe England were originally branded "white Orcs" in 2003? I'm happy for them to be branded this again in 2019.

Master
    A team ranked 10, loses to a team ranked 19 - who would have thought it.

Wonderful result by Uruguay. It just goes to show that upsets can happen or team's can perform better than their previous form suggests.
    Fiji appeared to trying to win the game at a stroll, Uruguay wanted it so badly, worth a watch btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I believe England were originally branded "white Orcs" in 2003? I'm happy for them to be branded this again in 2019.
    They were actually branded "white orcs on steroids", by a NZ sports columnists called Michael Laws. The actual quote was . "They're battle-hardened Vikings - all scars, snarls and, in Lawrence Dallaglio's case, snorts. The rest of the pack were simply giant gargoyles - raw-boned, cauliflower-eared monoliths that intimidated and unsettled. When they ran on to the field it was like watching a tribe of white orcs on steroids."

The problem is that a) it's hardly "branded" - it's just a quote, ,b) if you use it, very few others will know who you are actually referring to (any more than if you referred to them as Vikings) and c) it referred to a team in 2003 which included Jason Robinson who was hardly white - so a tat racist. Especially when you consider the number of non-white players in the 2019 squad. So it's not really appropriate

So why not simply stick to "The Roses", "The Roast Boeuf" (If you are French), or simply "England", then we will all know where you are coming from.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Well it's been an intense week here in Japan, been sightseeing around Osaka and Kyoto, also spent all of monday hung over after the opening weekend... Alcohol is a bit too easy to come by here tbh...

Anyway, on the Shinkansen from Himeji to Osaka now, shower then it's off to the England - USA game in Kobe, I dont expect an upset but hopefully USA can make some sort of game of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Well it's been an intense week here in Japan, been sightseeing around Osaka and Kyoto, also spent all of monday hung over after the opening weekend... Alcohol is a bit too easy to come by here tbh...

Anyway, on the Shinkansen from Himeji to Osaka now, shower then it's off to the England - USA game in Kobe, I dont expect an upset but hopefully USA can make some sort of game of it.

Watching it on TV as we speak. I am so envious of all those who made the trip. If you had a shower before the match, you will most likely need another looking at the number of sweaty bodies.

Looking good for England so far. They still have a few gears to go. Some will complain that it's not been as free flowing or exciting as some matches, but what we are watching are an England simply doing the business. Possession and dominating rugby at its best.

Friedrich Nietzsche

In no particular order from today's game-

Joseph looked electric, very classy.
    Youngs seemed to be on a mission to make Heinz look good, at least for his first 20 minutes
    Shame we conceded a try, would have been nice to keep a clean sheet
    Much more assured England performance, but no real test yet
    The change in personnel seemed to halt England less than it has some, perhaps Eddie's rotating squad is eventually paying off.

D

Decent performance but baffled as to why they didn't hoof the ball out on the gong. No point in chasing points and risking injury and ultimately it had the opposite effect and USA scored - strange decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    In no particular order from today's game-

Joseph looked electric, very classy.
    Youngs seemed to be on a mission to make Heinz look good, at least for his first 20 minutes
    Shame we conceded a try, would have been nice to keep a clean sheet
    Much more assured England performance, but no real test yet
    The change in personnel seemed to halt England less than it has some, perhaps Eddie's rotating squad is eventually paying off.

D
    Agreed - sort of. The USA was made to look very ordinary by a very good and controlled performance. We should not forget that the USA turned over Scotland last year and are ranked above Italy.

In other news George Ford seems to be getting better with age. The pack were awesome and Watson looks very much up to task. Plus we have to consider that Maro and Manu were not even on the bench. I was less impressed with Daly - especially his decision making in the final few minutes. He should have simply got it off the pitch.

Farrell was lucky not to have been serious injured by a rather reckless "tackle".

All in all a banana skin avoided and a good warm up session before they play the Pumas (who are ranked only 2 places above the USA). The real test will be against France, however that is rapidly becoming a dead rubber. Whatever happens it will be Wales or Australia in the next round. Hopefully England can repay either team for 2015

Friedrich Nietzsche

Good performance.. Played to their strengths.. They could have mauled every possession... Will be interested when they meet a proper pack.

Agreed - sort of. The USA was made to look very ordinary by a very good and controlled performance. We should not forget that the USA turned over Scotland last year and are ranked above Italy.

In other news George Ford seems to be getting better with age. The pack were awesome and Watson looks very much up to task. Plus we have to consider that Maro and Manu were not even on the bench. I was less impressed with Daly - especially his decision making in the final few minutes. He should have simply got it off the pitch.

Farrell was lucky not to have been serious injured by a rather reckless "tackle".

All in all a banana skin avoided and a good warm up session before they play the Pumas (who are ranked only 2 places above the USA). The real test will be against France, however that is rapidly becoming a dead rubber. Whatever happens it will be Wales or Australia in the next round. Hopefully England can repay either team for 2015
    2015 can never be paid for soz.
    Seriously, despite Fiji's latest defeat there's still no guarantee Wales will get through. Although it is more than likely it'll be Wales and Australia, in which order we'll know Sunday.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 26th September 2019 at 17:03.

Master
    Well it was incredibly hot in the arena, they kept the roof on for some reason. Wasn't much of a contest but England looked really strong. Obviously outsized the Americans.

No rugby today. Next game for me is Japan-Ireland on Saturday, should be a lot noisier in the arena then... :)

Thought England looked solid in the set piece yesterday, which ultimately was enough to set the platform and also looked good in the collision - winning most from memory. Heinz looked good aside from giving away an early penalty (the second one against him shouldn't have been a pen I think), Ford also looking good (I was his biggest critic not so long ago). JJ maybe doing enough to wrestle the 13 shirt back from Slade. Disappointments for me, Daly didn't really seem to do much and when he did have space late on he didn't really exploit it (I think up to 70 minutes he'd made one carry?). I'm really not sure what Piers Francis brings to the party, although he's now been cited for that opening tackle (which I thought looked sketchy at the time), so I expect we won't see him again in the pool stages. The back row (Billy aside) are solid enough, if unspectacular and it will be interesting to see how they hold up against some more serious back row competition.

All in all though, a decent start, 2 bonus point wins, no major injuries, everybody getting some minutes, and the set piece looking retty tidy. All to play for.

Why didn't Owen Farrell have an HIA yesterday after the "tackle" where he clearly received a heavy contact to his head, and the player who hit him was sent off?

Master
    Francis been cited for the early tackle, might have been different if it had looked at live. Last 2 minutes of the game looked a keystone cops/Harlem globetrotters period.

@ashtennisguru Daly has the x factor, like cipriani (that's a player I feel sorry for but that's another thread) he will perform when he needs to... Always my biggest fear was brown or Daly when you played the Irish.. Seems to just do it... Aka Liam Williams

Craftsman
    Agree regarding Daly. Think we should line up with Watson at 15, Nowell and May on the wings with Daly as utility back cover from the bench (could cover 13, wing, FB).

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Agree regarding Daly. Think we should line up with Watson at 15, Nowell and May on the wings with Daly as utility back cover from the bench (could cover 13, wing, FB).
    I couldn't agree more, although I'd prefer to have Big Joe on the left wing. I think that Jack Nowell should return quite soon, but he's been through the mill recently, having an operation on an ankle injury sustained during the Premiership final, followed by appendicitis. And Watson spent a year recovering from a serious achilles injury, so he's still slightly off the pace.

Daly is a liability under a high ball, so why play him at full-back?

Why didn't Owen Farrell have an HIA yesterday after the "tackle" where he clearly received a heavy contact to his head, and the player who hit him was sent off?

I image that the doctor was able to perform an assessment on the pitch and could clearly see that Farrell wasn't suffering.

No idea what the HIA actually comprises of, but image it includes looking at pupil reaction - so a similar test performed by judges and medics in boxing. Also Farrell was up on his feet pretty quickly and was looking to give Quill his own brand of concussion.

Friedrich Nietzsche

@ashtennisguru Daly has the x factor, like cipriani (that's a player I feel sorry for but that's another thread) he will perform when he needs to... Always my biggest fear was brown or Daly when you played the Irish.. Seems to just do it... Aka Liam Williams

i agree regarding Daly except yesterday he did not really on it - I thought he actually looked a bit poorly - pethaps it was the heat. Playing May at full back would be a waste plus he cannot kick as well Daly. i very much doubt we will see Nowell unless someone picks up an injury - why take the risk someone who hasn't played since May.

I think Eddies first pick will see Daly at 15, May at 14 and Wason at 11. 12 will be Farrell and Manu will play 13.

Joseph, Slade will back up Manu (assuming he does switch to 8 - which would be quite interesting. Big Joe will back up Watson and May.

Eddie certainly had plenty of talent to call on.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman

Rugby world cup 2019

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the form of both Watson and Joseph. I’m inclined to think Watson a better choice at FB than Daly who has looked a bit off the pace recently. And the perception that he is weak in the air could become a self- fulfilling prophesy against teams like Wales , SA and NZ.
    As a supporter from the SW I would love to see Slade and Nowell play a part - but I’m not sure they’d make the cut in Eddie’s starting XV.
    Last edited by CriticalMass; 27th September 2019 at 21:28.

Craftsman

Rugby world cup 2019

[QUOTE=Andyg;5210497]
    Joseph, Slade will back up Manu (assuming he does switch to 8 - which would be quite interesting. [\QUOTE]

First I’ve heard this suggested! Any evidence that this is a prospect? I wouldn’t put it past Eddie- didn’t we have a quick glimpse of Jack Nowell at No 7 not so long ago?

Craftsman

Rugby world cup 2019

Just watched the Fiji Uruguay game. What a cracker....it’s not just about a tier 1 is it!
    Last edited by CriticalMass; 27th September 2019 at 21:35.

[QUOTE=CriticalMass;5210707]
    Joseph, Slade will back up Manu (assuming he does switch to 8 - which would be quite interesting. [\QUOTE]

First I’ve heard this suggested! Any evidence that this is a prospect? I wouldn’t put it past Eddie- didn’t we have a quick glimpse of Jack Nowell at No 7 not so long ago?
    Alas no evidence - wishful thinking perhaps, but if Billy gets injured Eddie will need a ball carrier and Manu fits the bill. Personally I would love to see Billy at centre and Manu at 8. It would cause chaos for defences - especially those used to seeing Billy at 8. In fact it would be great if they could interchange

Nowell at 7 was interesting, but a flanker is a pretty specialised role and Nowell is simply not big enough. Nowell at centre or outside centre however is more likely if he is not on the wing.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't disagree and think that Daly is a fantastic rugby player, plus I have been saying for years that I think he has all the requisite skills to make an excelent fullback - albeit he needs time there and to work on his positional play and receiving the high ball. Brown was an excellent defensive fullback nd could beat the first defender, unfortunately his inabiiity to make the pass when it was on for a winger in space let him down massively. Also agee 100% with you on Cips, but on the plus side it means he is free and available for Glaws :)

Right now my back three would be Watson at 15, May and Cokanisiga on the wings, with Daly as utility cover on the bench (sorry, I mean as a finisher ;) )

Ireland getting it done (slowly) against a very quick Japanese team.. They can make a break anytime. Penalty count high again.

Get best off.. Hot or cold with him.. Seems Ireland still need the set piece to get things moving... Gone backwards with this game whatever the result. Carty has been anonymous, just goes to show you sexton or bust

Master
    Japan ahead !

Come on Japan! And I say this as a half Irishman

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Nobody noticed that Japan came on with 20 players for the second half...

Ireland might be in danger of embarrassment here...

Master
    Shambles