closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby world cup 2019

Best game of the tournament so far, frenetic pace and the Japanese were immense!

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Great match from Japan. They remind me of my Jack Russells, small, fast, tenacious and relentless.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    They are incredibly fit and you can see they have a passion for the game and want to be a top side.

I would welcome them in the 6 nations as an extra participant if that is allowed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

I would welcome them in the 6 nations as an extra participant if that is allowed.
    I’d happily drop Italy out and have Japan in. Be a bit of a logistics nightmare for away games though.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    They are incredibly fit and you can see they have a passion for the game and want to be a top side.

Personally I would rather Georgia or Japan play instead of Italy.

Perhaps we need a Northern Hemisphire 6 Nations with relegation for the team who finish bottom. The Autumn could be used for a round robin matches between the relegated team and at least 2 of those with sufficient ranking points I.e Japan, Georgia, Russia, Italy, even Scotland.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I agree about Scotland needing to have a good look at themselves Andy. Gregor Townsend never seems capable of creating a cohesive team, making so many changes from game to game. I think Laidlaw has played his last game at number 9. He might be a good game manager but with the new generation of scrum half’s, like Ali Price and George Horne, he’s no longer the differentiator he once was. I think the game has moved on and he doesn’t fit into it.
    I never rated Laidlow. He spent to much time gobbing off to the ref and not enough time focusing on his job.

Alas Scotland made exactly the same mistake appointing Townsend, as England did when they appointed a ex players, who had little experience of coaching, let alone coaching at international/test level. I have nothing against ex international players coaching, but they need to cut their teeth in a league first.

Hopefully the SRFU will be giving Jospeh a call immediately after the World Cup. Because if they dont, I am sure others will.
    Last edited by Andyg; 14th October 2019 at 08:52.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Out of curiosity, you say Japan are not quite at the level of the top four but are on a par with Australia.
    Who do you believe are the top four? I would have thought Australia would have been amongst them.
    AB’s
    Springboks/England
    Ireland/Wales

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Out of curiosity, you say Japan are not quite at the level of the top four but are on a par with Australia.
    Who do you believe are the top four? I would have thought Australia would have been amongst them.
    New Zealand, England, South Africa, Wales. Ireland banging on the door. Australia probably 6th

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    AB’s
    Springboks/England
    Ireland/Wales

Whoa! A long delay and then we both reply at exactly the same time and the same answer. There will be talk of multiple usernames....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Whoa! A long delay and then we both reply at exactly the same time and the same answer. There will be talk of multiple usernames....
    I am the the real ryanb741

I'm Ryanb741 and so's my wife...

Hogg, Maitland, Seymour, Barclay, Russell, Harris, Gray, Price, Nel - there's enough ability there to form the backbone of what should be a a really decent team, so what's happening to stop them performing?

Master
    Consistent team selection would be a good start.

What are your predictions for the quarters? It’s going to be a very interested set of games:

England v Australia. England have dominated in recent encounters, but can they do it after relatively easy games so far? I think they will but it’ll be close.

New Zealand v Ireland. Have to go with NZ, probably the most certain of the results.

Wales V France. Wales clear favourites and should do it, but can France have one of their flashes of brilliance?

Japan v South Africa. I think this will be the most interesting game. If Japan can play with ball in hand like they did this weekend, they could do it. SA will come out on top though I think.

I’ve cleared the diary for both mornings (much to my Wife’s annoyance ) and can’t wait for it...

Master
    My predictions would be England, NZ, Wales and SA in the next round. I'd prefer to see Ireland (my home country) Japan (good for world rugby and a joy to watch) and France (family connection and the - now rare - Gallic brilliance) to go through but think it is unlikely based on the draw. I think the only one that is uncertain is Australia and England, but I think England will pull it off.

I can see Japan taking SA out - just on fitness alone

NZ not even warmed up yet

Master
    You have to go to News Thump for the real story-
    https://newsthump.com/2019/10/13/sco...S8OD1EU5KcF3MQ

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    My predictions would be England, NZ, Wales and SA in the next round. I'd prefer to see Ireland (my home country) Japan (good for world rugby and a joy to watch) and France (family connection and the - now rare - Gallic brilliance) to go through but think it is unlikely based on the draw. I think the only one that is uncertain is Australia and England, but I think England will pull it off.
    My predictions are the same as yours but I think they are all uncertain apart from NZ who I can’t see Ireland troubling. I think England are extremely strong and should beat Australia, Wales should beat France but Japan and South Africa is a coin toss for me.

Cymru am byth

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    You have to go to News Thump for the real story-
    https://newsthump.com/2019/10/13/sco...S8OD1EU5KcF3MQ
    LOL

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Alas Scotland made exactly the same mistake appointing Townsend, as England did when they appointed a ex players, who had little experience of coaching, let alone coaching at international/test level. I have nothing against ex international players coaching, but they need to cut their teeth in a league first.

Hopefully the SRFU will be giving Jospeh a call immediately after the World Cup. Because if they dont, I am sure others will.
    Townsend had 5 years as head coach of Glasgow Warriors in the Pro 12 and previously was an assistant coach with Scotland.
    He was highly regarded with Glasgow,winning the Pro12 and at least 1 final.
    The SRU feared if they didn’t take him at the time that they may not have gotten the opportunity again as he was being touted for a few big club jobs.
    Fair to say it hasn’t worked out but it wasn’t in any way the equivalent of promoting Martin Johnson to head coach.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Townsend had 5 years as head coach of Glasgow Warriors in the Pro 12 and previously was an assistant coach with Scotland.
    He was highly regarded with Glasgow,winning the Pro12 and at least 1 final.
    The SRU feared if they didn’t take him at the time that they may not have gotten the opportunity again as he was being touted for a few big club jobs.
    Fair to say it hasn’t worked out but it wasn’t in any way the equivalent of promoting Martin Johnson to head coach.

Martin Johnson wasn't the only one that sprung to mind, I was also thinking of Andy Robinson.

But personally speaking, with a few exceptions (Leinster, Munster) Pro14 is not high enough standard. But ask yourself many Scottish clubs have won the European Cup.

Hopefully SRU will look beyond its borders

Friedrich Nietzsche

Regarding Predictions.

NZ Vs Ireland - despite losing twice to Ireland in the last couple of years I have to go with NZ, unless of course Ireland have found a secret strategy to beating the All Blacks. NZ

England Vs Australia (Eddy Vs Checka) - Australia are on the slide and England are on the up plus have some real world class talent available to them via Saracens (Euro Cup Champs) and Exeter (Prem runner ups). Plus they have a full squard, although I wonder if Mako might be a bit under done. I have to go England - mostly because I hope to see them play the All Blacks in the semi. .

Japan Vs SA. As much as I would love Japan to repeat its feat from 2015, i simply cannot see it happening assuming SA don't crack under the pressure- which is possible. My vote goes to SA.

Wales Vs France. Tricky one this because France managed to blow a 16 point lead in their last game against Wales. Man for man France have better players, but Wales have a better team and it's usually the better team will win. Unfortunately neither team has really impressed so far, but it wouldn't surprise me if France won.

All games will all be quite close and much will depend on who makes the least number of mistakes and maintains discipline. The refereeing may also play a part in who wins and who goes home.
    Last edited by Andyg; 14th October 2019 at 16:49.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm still trying to work out how good South Africa are. I know a couple of years ago they were woeful, started their improvement in the series vs England in SA, had some good results vs the All Blacks including a draw in New Zealand, lost to England narrowly at Twickers, started well against the ABs in the pool match but faded, steamrollered the other sides through brute power. What I'm trying to say is I can't fathom out whether they are a contender near the All Blacks level or are at the Australia level with a decent fly half (Faf Du Plessis). They could be the dark horses here.

I'm still trying to work out how good South Africa are. I know a couple of years ago they were woeful, started their improvement in the series vs England in SA, had some good results vs the All Blacks including a draw in New Zealand, lost to England narrowly at Twickers, started well against the ABs in the pool match but faded, steamrollered the other sides through brute power. What I'm trying to say is I can't fathom out whether they are a contender near the All Blacks level or are at the Australia level with a decent fly half (Faf Du Plessis). They could be the dark horses here.
    They have 2 of the best scrum halves in the tournament in De Klerk and Reinach, the 2 best second rows in Mostert and Etzebet, 2 of the fleetest wingers in Kolbe and Mapimpi and a host of quality on other positions, albeit I see them as being a bit one dimensional through the centres. I actually think the one position they are weakest in is fly half - Handrie Pollard is solid if unspectacular and Jantjies is spectacular, but flaky as pastry and has been known to tighten up under pressure and make big errors (both for SA and the Lions).

I see them being right there at the end of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    They have 2 of the best scrum halves in the tournament in De Klerk and Reinach, the 2 best second rows in Mostert and Etzebet, 2 of the fleetest wingers in Kolbe and Mapimpi and a host of quality on other positions, albeit I see them as being a bit one dimensional through the centres. I actually think the one position they are weakest in is fly half - Handrie Pollard is solid if unspectacular and Jantjies is spectacular, but flaky as pastry and has been known to tighten up under pressure and make big errors (both for SA and the Lions).

Thanks. I actually meant Faf de Klerk and not Faf du Plessis lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post

Reinach, is the nephew of a very good friend, it’s all I hear about! Lol 😂

Looks as if Dobson is being "charged" by World Rugby for bringing the game into disrepute following his comments about suing World Rugby for millions if Scotland's game against Japan was called off.

Karma is such a bitch at times.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Looks as if Dobson is being "charged" by World Rugby for bringing the game into disrepute following his comments about suing World Rugby for millions if Scotland's game against Japan was called off.

Karma is such a bitch at times.
    Scotland haven't exactly covered themselves in glory both on and off the pitch this world cup. Plus I saw on TV a lot of their fans not covering up their tattoos which is outrageously bad mannered of them

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Things will start to get good now it’s the knockouts! Can’t wait!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Scotland haven't exactly covered themselves in glory both on and off the pitch this world cup. Plus I saw on TV a lot of their fans not covering up their tattoos which is outrageously bad mannered of them

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Why?
    Japan culture is not to show your ink although the authorities have taken a more relaxed approach. Tbh at all games in crowd views I’ve seen tattoo adorned arms from all country’s fans.

Was in Japan for 2 weeks, Loads of tattoos, from all nations fans on show.
    No one seemed to mind anywhere.

Pro 14 standard is fine, it's entirely different from the prem but that's no bad thing in and of itself...it doesn't need to be either or.

Dodson is a prat. I don't like him for a variety of reasons. But I would expect any chief exec of any union to do exactly the same in the position he found himself in last week.
    I think any fan wants to see their teams play and make their own luck.
    Gilpin will fold, and it will all blow over.

Parisse's comments were spot on. I'm surprised the Italian union stayed quiet. I'm glad hes not retiring and hope to see him in the 6n.

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk

Made me laugh.... I'll get my coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Made me laugh.... I'll get my coat.
    i hope this is still true after the weekend.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Not even close to how Uruguay behaved, trashing restaurants, assaulting staff, spitting, drunk - be interesting to see what disciplinary action gets given to an emerging nation like Uruguay for such behaviour. I mean Christ on a bike 2 huge professional rugby players representing their country actually assaulting staff in a restaurant. Wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Not even close to how Uruguay behaved, trashing restaurants, assaulting staff, spitting, drunk - be interesting to see what disciplinary action gets given to an emerging nation like Uruguay for such behaviour. I mean Christ on a bike 2 huge professional rugby players representing their country actually assaulting staff in a restaurant. Wtf.

Wow, that's terrible. Got a link.

In other news. Ford is dropped against Austrialia indicating that England want to keep more ball in hand rather that kick for territory, and have a forwards battle. Not personally convinced, but I imagine Eddie is looking at this as a dress rehearsal for the game against NZ assuming we win. Plus I imagine Pocock and Hopper were fancying their changes against Ford simply because he really is quite small.

The missed game against France might really come back to haunt England as it would have been a good idea to break the Ford Farrell axis in a game that didn't really matter.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow, that's terrible. Got a link. .
    https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...estaurant.html

Thx. I imagine the two players involved will be sanctioned for it.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thx. I imagine the two players involved will be sanctioned for it.
    Outrageous way to behave but they expressed remorse

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Outrageous way to behave but they expressed remorse

Most likely sobbered up and realised they had been di*ks.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Everyone’s going for the obvious results, so I’m going:
    Japan, France, Australia and (with slightly less conviction) Ireland.

Winner of England vs Australia will probably be whoever finishes with most players on the pitch. Australia have been awful so far, both in performance and attitude, so they can only improve. England over confidence will be their downfall.

France will produce their annual performance, then get hammered in the semis.

Japan and Ireland just because :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Everyone’s going for the obvious results, so I’m going:
    Japan, France, Australia and (with slightly less conviction) Ireland.

Winner of England vs Australia will probably be whoever finishes with most players on the pitch. Australia have been awful so far, both in performance and attitude, so they can only improve. England over confidence will be their downfall.

France will produce their annual performance, then get hammered in the semis.

Japan and Ireland just because :-)

Its certainly a bold choice. I wonder what odds you could get. Big I imagine.

France certainly have a chance, as does Australia. Sorry to say Japan doesn't simply because they are great with the ball, but SA will simply stop them getting any. NZ are not the same team that won the WRC 4 years ago, but then neither are Ireland.

Getting very excited in Chez AndyG.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Most likely sobbered up and realised they had been di*ks.
    Looking at how the law in Japan works suggests they could find themselves in clink while the crime is investigated.

What a shift bt England. 10m left but no sign of losing. Now I need some Irish magic next, or just discipline and let NZ lose it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Really strong performance from England. It's a long time since I've cheered as loudly as I did when Watson intercepted that long pass to score the try.

Master
    The lack of any additions to this thread for most of the match suggests it might have been a nervous 50 or 60 mins for England fans, but they’ve done a job on Australia.

A good performance, but they’ll need even better to get past their likely semi final opponents. No easy games now for anybody.

Master
    Excellent performance all round. Particularly impressed with the defence, especially at the restart when Australia were right on England's try line early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The lack of any additions to this thread for most of the match suggests it might have been a nervous 50 or 60 mins for England fans, but they’ve done a job on Australia.

A good performance, but they’ll need even better to get past their likely semi final opponents. No easy games now for anybody.

Very tense here. Even when England were 14-3 points up.

Australia reminded me of England over the past few years. Lots of procession, but little cutting edge and silly mistakes. England on the other hand were like Ireland of old - managed to get the turn overs, managed to be patient, managed to make the break throughs, kept the ref on side.

Highlight of the game.

Garces "I want to check the two passes"

TMO "First pass was unclear"

Garces "It was clearly forward"

At this point I actually could relax.

On the downside, very underwhelmed by Slade, made one of Mays tries, but looked a bit out of his depth. As if trying to hard. I was really please when Ford came one because I knew then England would win. The only question was by how much.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Very tense here. Even when England were 14-3 points up.

Australia reminded me of England over the past few years. Lots of procession, but little cutting edge and silly mistakes. England on the other hand were like Ireland of old - managed to get the turn overs, managed to be patient, managed to make the break throughs, kept the ref on side.

Highlight of the game.

Garces "I want to check the two passes"

TMO "First pass was unclear"

Garces "It was clearly forward"

At this point I actually could relax.

On the downside, very underwhelmed by Slade, made one of Mays tries, but looked a bit out of his depth. As if trying to hard. I was really please when Ford came one because I knew then England would win. The only question was by how much.
    It was a good game to watch for me, whenever England get a start they’re a very difficult team to overtake nowadays.

I’ll enjoy the next game too before my own nerves can start to kick in for our game against France in the morning...

Solid game from England, but really tense until the last 10 minutes as Australia still looked strong. Level heads and sticking to the game plan worked!

Looking at the stats, if you hadn't watched the game you would be shocked by the the result. Just look at the tackle count!!!

England-Australia
    Possession: 36%-64%
    Territory: 38%-62%
    Metres run: 273-568
    Clean breaks: 7-8
    Defenders beaten: 12-21
    Tackles made/attempted: 160/181 - 66/78
    Turnovers conceded: 8-18
    Penalties conceded: 8-5

Friedrich Nietzsche