timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby world cup 2019

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Come on Japan! And I say this as a half Irishman

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I fancied Japan against Scotland but I didn’t see this coming....

You have to laugh, life has a life of its own. Well done Japan and good job Carberry kicking the ball out to end the misery when time was up ... You couldn't make it up.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Great for the game

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Holy feck! ! I thought Japan would be up for it and had a great chance against Scotland but never saw this happening. Ireland were woeful and Japan deserved it.

Ireland or Scotland are now looking at a match against NZ in the next round. Good luck with that. If Scotland do pull out a result against Japan, Ireland might actually go out.

Number 1 team - my arse, and showed that Englands result against them was not a fluke. It also shows how poor Wales and Scotland were as well against them.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The bonus point will save them.. Maybe. Thinking about it that is why I hope Carberry kicked it out. Also just thinking how important K Earls try saving tackle may have been, if they all had played like him..... IF.. Forgive the if..

Last edited by bdkelly72; 28th September 2019 at 12:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of the great shocks, just shows how the newer Rugby nations are catching up. The whole nation will be on a high this evening

Master
    Really glad I got out of bed for that game, huge entertainment, Scotland will be home soon I’m sure.

What a match, Japan seemed to just want it more! Scotland will be nervous now I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    What a match, Japan seemed to just want it more! Scotland will be nervous now I suspect.
    i imagine Scotland were nervous after watching Japan beat Russia and then getting stuffed by Ireland. I would think flights are being sorted out as we speak.

Even if Ireland do scrape through (and they should assuming that Scotland doesn't get a losing point against Japan as well ) then it's SA or NZ next and I simply don't think they are good enough to beat either, but its a funny old game as Fiji and Ireland have found out.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I can't help thinking Ireland threw that game looking at the passage ahead. Better to meet NZ in the next round than later? Full squad etc. Easier progress then?
    Can provide no other reason for the way they stopped playing after 2 tries.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    I can't help thinking Ireland threw that game looking at the passage ahead. Better to meet NZ in the next round than later? Full squad etc. Easier progress then?

Hmmm, I don't buy that. If they had won, then chances are they would have faced SA in the next round who are definitely beatable - as demonstrated by NZ. Plus Sexton seems injured so might not be available for the quarters anyway. A good result today against Japan would have also given Ireland the opportunity to rest a few players against Samoa/ Russia (which they should win at a canter) .

Now assuming they beat Russia, and that Samoa beat Russia. It could all come down to the result between Samoa and Ireland - and I imagine Samoa will fancy it, especially if they beat Scotland tomorrow - which is possible.

Friedrich Nietzsche

As much as I would like to believe that.. I can't. Its not as if they didn't try just couldn't get a line break, Japan played the rush defence better than them, would not mind knowing how many tackles Japan missed as it wasn't many.. Ireland just blow hot and cold now.. They certainly miss sexton
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/09/28...19-ireland-12/

Ireland didn't lie down: they were pretty much second-best all around the paddock. Perhaps that's why they lost?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/09/28...19-ireland-12/

Ireland didn't lie down: they were pretty much second-best all around the paddock. Perhaps that's why they lost?
    Japan were better in defence, in attack, at the breakdown, at set pieces, technically, tactically and from a fitness standpoint. In all other areas Ireland were superior.

Japan have for me always been a fantastic attacking team, but with a very porous defence. Today though, every time an Irish player got his hands on the ball there were at least two Japanese players on them before they could run, think, or pass. Blistering, skillful, hard, and I'd be very worried to be playing them in the morning.

I was just throwing the suggestion out there. Strange results usually happen for a reason. Time will tell if it was just a bad day for Ireland and a good day for Japan. I do hope the process hasn't been tarnished.

Master
    Well it was an amazing night to experience, never dreamed we'd see this kind of result. Was sitting quite near the sideline where players walked on and off and it was clear to see how exhausted Ireland players looked halfway in. Ecopa was a fantastic arena too, and they shot off a big fireworks display after the game.

Today was supposed to be our "big" game, watching wales vs Australia in a few hours, but i doubt yesterday can be topped.

Wales will be gutted to be only 2 points up after 30 mins

Poitie being very lenient to the Wallabies. Australia should have had 2 yellow cards by now.

Get in Wales! I'm not Welsh but the Aussies are very niggly and dirty. From what I've seen today this Wales side is at least on par with England - perhaps not as strong in the forwards but more dynamic in attack and a very nice watch.

Excellent performance by Wales. The drop goal in the first couple of minutes was a surprise for everyone.

Australia simply have not looked after the ball very well and given away to many pens.

It will be interesting to see what Cheika does in second half. It's not over yet, but you cannot help feeling who ever scores next will win the game.

I dont agree with talk of yellow cards. The first penalty was for a late tackle, but the tackler was pretty much committed to the tackle before Biggar got shot of the ball. The second one is a bit more tricky. My view of "leading with the forearm" is when you are holding the ball with one hand and defend off a tackle with the forearm of the other.

People want a safe sport, not a sissy sport. What next will a hand off be considered dangerous play?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Wales lacking a bit of mental strength here. Same as we saw with England vs Scotland. Only one winner from here and they play in yellow

Well played Wales. I was convinced they had messed it up and the Aussies would come back but some great defensive sets there

What a fantastic weekend of rugby! This'll do wonders for the game as a whole.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    Get best off.. Hot or cold with him.. Seems Ireland still need the set piece to get things moving... Gone backwards with this game whatever the result. Carty has been anonymous, just goes to show you sexton or bust

What price paddy Jackson?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    And well played Wales. Grrat defence and turnovers in second half.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wales in defence were massive, but I cannot help thinking that Australia rather blew it. Especially missing that kick to touch in the last 5 minutes and then to cough up the ball in the final seconds. Showed a lack of patience and poor execution.

Good game all the same.

I cannot help thinking that England and France might have a slight disadvantage. They play each other in the final group game and it will be very tough, before they then face Australia and Wales, who would have both had an easier run in.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Romaine Poite is considered one of the best referees in the world...

...just let that sink in.

He was really poor today & his TMO, Ben Skeen, wasn't any better.

Interesting article by an Aussie journalist from a couple of days ago, basically foretelling what Poite's performance today would be like:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/is-ro...by-from-itself
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think I lost a few years watching that.

Wales should of put them to the sword in the first half whilst on top but blew their line out twice where it mattered.

I think after watching Hoopers tackle again on Biggar he knew what he was doing and was not already committed - however thank god we held on. I really thought we had blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Think I lost a few years watching that.

Wales should of put them to the sword in the first half whilst on top but blew their line out twice where it mattered.

I think after watching Hoopers tackle again on Biggar he knew what he was doing and was not already committed - however thank god we held on. I really thought we had blew it.
    Yes of course Hooper knew exactly what he was doing, he slighy changed direction, and went in low with his shoulder. I can't think what a previous poster who defended it here was watching!
    However, I can't be too disappointed that it wasn't a card, or Josh Adams would have had to go off for his high tackle later in the game also, so all is fair.
    Think my pulse rate has only now dropped back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I cannot help thinking that England and France might have a slight disadvantage. They play each other in the final group game and it will be very tough, before they then face Australia and Wales, who would have both had an easier run in.
    “Easier run in” how do you work that out ? they have had to play each other ! “Very tough”, with due respect to France the only thing that should make England sweat is the humidity.

Better from Scotland, although Samoa were never really in it.

Master
    Better, yes but still not mistake free. It's still going to be a tough battle to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    “Easier run in” how do you work that out ? they have had to play each other ! “Very tough”, with due respect to France the only thing that should make England sweat is the humidity.
    Yes, I'd like to know how Wales and Australia have an easier run in. Yes, we've got a long rest now after a short turnaround between Georgia and Australia, but then we face a tough Fiji who have everything to play for, then a short turnaround to a battling Uruguay who have nothing to lose and will throw the proverbial kitchen sink at us. The Uruguay game "should" be a given, but Fiji not so, and both could present plenty of injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Better from Scotland, although Samoa were never really in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Better, yes but still not mistake free. It's still going to be a tough battle to progress.
    Samoa were lucky to get nil. Very, very limited.

Scotland probably underscored by 20 to 25 points. Awarded two penalty tries & should have had a third. Butchered a couple in open play. I'm not convinced by Hogg's 'tactical' kicking, particularly when, on a couple of occasions, there were acres of open field to run into.

As for the officials, they were of the usual standard in this tournament...
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Much shouting in the house during this mornings game, ref and tmo were poor missing several things, still it’s a win and 5 points, the mountain is there to climb still yet. Lots of points permutations in the group tho play through.

A couple of interesting matches tomorrow.

Japan Vs Samoa will be interesting simply because a win for Japan will make it very difficult for Scotland. And I fancy Japan to do well.

England Vs Argentina. A bruising encounter, with Argentina trying to make a point (both in rugby terms, but also from a nationalistic perspective).

England have won the past 9 encounters, and should make it 10. However it will be difficult (it will be hot and humid) and they will need to keep a cool head and not get drawn in to a arm wrestle with the Puma Pack. If England keep their composure, keep the penality count down and look after the ball then hopefully it will be a 15+ Point win, hopefully without any injuries. Fingers crossed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Bonus Point win for England tomorrow and Japan to beat Samoa as well.

Can't see England losing tomorrow, I think they may have a few scares but will comfortably run away with it in the last quarter due to team talent/cohesion, and of course the bench. And I would have thought a Japan win also.

Agree with the 2 above, England to win with a BP (will be a hard game though) and Japan to turn Samoa over!

Journeyman
    Cant see england loseing tomorrow but argentina are a seriously tough team. And are always capable of pulling off an upset. Its far from a guaranteed win. Having said that id be shocked if england didnt win

Red card for Argentina so England will win by 30+ now

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Red card for Argentina so England will win by 30+ now

I hope England put them to the sword however England can make very hard work of situtaions like this! It will be good to see where England are at and whether they have a ruthless edge like they showed against Ireland in the warm ups.

A bit of a turgid kick-a-thon at the moment. Not sure what the tactics are

Master
    Dull dull dull game. Argentina a man down and you wouldn’t know, and England quite lucky to avoid yellow.

England to win the World Cup? Not this England.

Farrell having a stinker with the boot. Should be out of sight already

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Dull dull dull game. Argentina a man down and you wouldn’t know, and England quite lucky to avoid yellow.

England to win the World Cup? Not this England.
    No chance. Not enough skill. Will be NZ or South Africa

Japan beating Ireland lol, As a Welsh man that is hilarious

Why is Ford kicking out of hand so much when England have the ball in the Argentina half???

England quite frankly looking shite in the 2nd half and gormlessly kicking the ball when in possession in promising positions.