closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby world cup 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Why is Ford kicking out of hand so much when England have the ball in the Argentina half???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Just team tactics, he must have been told in the dressing room to do that. Blame the coaches I guess

Master
    No chance. Not enough skill. Will be NZ or South Africa

Spot on. Lack of discipline will cost England in the knock out stages.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So slow at the breakdown need to recycle the ball far quicker to0 keep the opposition on the back foot.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Really flat performance from England, very frustrating to watch. If they can’t command the game against a 14 man Argentina it doesn’t bode well for the next round.

'Dear RWC2019,

Can we have Nige as ref in all our remaining games?

Yours etc..

Eddie Jones
    '

England beat what was in front of them.

Hardly inspiring, though. Could have had a couple of yellows (I thought Sinkler's no-arms tackle to the knee of an Argentinian ball-carrier two metres from the goal-line particularly worthy, foul play & cynical).
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very lacklustre performance by England, not sure why we switched off in the second half. Usual argie bargie though, guess they are still bitter about 82.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Very lacklustre performance by England, not sure why we switched off in the second half. Usual argie bargie though, guess they are still bitter about 82.
    #gammongammongammongammon

Putting 6 tries past Argentina is good for anyone, and doesn't happen very often (not in the last 2 years at least).
    Sure, the match was flat for a while there, but England did okay.
    Another bonus point win with the squad intact, that's fine by me, especially as the quarters are now assured.

More interesting is the fact that I suspect Japan will put Scotland out, as they play next Sunday, and Scotland have to play Russia on Wednesday in between.

Dave

^^^^^^^^ Totally agreed.

Argentina are a good hard team. They finished 3rd in the last WC so are no mugs. England did exactly what was required of them - 39 points (it should have been 48), 6 tries and no major injury concerns (although Billy might be rested against France) and we get the same crap about England not being good enough, not enough skill, shite, gormless, blah, blah, blah - so predicable and so boring.

As for England having Davis in their pocket - proper funny. Clearly someone who has never watched Nige ref an England 6 Nations Match before.

As for England having a massive advantage because Argentina had a player send off, clearly they are unaware that in 2018, England beat Argentina with 14 men after Daly was sent off in the first 5 minutes.

Honestly I am not sure what some people actually expect to see. Zero handling errors, zero penalities, numerous tries scored from inside your own 20 meters, every scum/line out won, etc, if so, then expect to be disappointed. In fact I wouldn't even bother watching it, because clearly it's not the game for you.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    3 yellows at least avoided by England, the most obvious being sinkler chopping the Argentinean down below the knee with a no arms tackle in the first few minutes. Also the player tackled in the air and the swinging arm to the head near the end.
    England deserved the win alright, but rode their luck with the officials.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Lots of comments from people who obviously don't understand Rugby. The aim is to get through to the next stage and win every game that is required. Think England did very well, Argentina is not a shabby side. Well done England onwards and upwards. Also the commentary team in the studio were pleased and complimentary, or are they fan boys as well or seasoned pundits.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Lots of comments from people who obviously don't understand Rugby. The aim is to get through to the next stage and win every game that is required. Think England did very well, Argentina is not a shabby side. Well done England onwards and upwards. Also the commentary team in the studio were pleased and complimentary, or are they fan boys as well or seasoned pundits.
    I’ve played and watched enough rugby to know when a side is firing on all cylinders, England looked flat and not clinical enough to trouble a better side... I am a ‘fan boy’ but obviously don’t understand rugby as well as you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I’ve played and watched enough rugby to know when a side is firing on all cylinders, England looked flat and not clinical enough to trouble a better side... I am a ‘fan boy’ but obviously don’t understand rugby as well as you.
    Obviously not. But keep watching and you might learn

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Obviously not. But keep watching and you might learn
    You’re funny

I don't think anyone would argue New Zealand are considered to be tournament favourites, but am curious to know more about the "better teams" who England wouldn't trouble.

France? Who England beat 44-8 in Feb.
    Wales? Who lost 33-19, before they beat England 13-6 when England only had 13 players on the pitch.
    South Africa? who lost to England in their last 2 games.
    Austrialia? Who England beat 30-6 only a couple of months ago.
    Ireland? Who had there arses handed to them 57-15 not long ago and who also lost 32-20 in Dublin.
    Scotland - comedy gold, but at least managed a draw recently

I would be the first to accept that previous form is no guarantee of future success, but I honestly don't think there is a team England should be scared of. Even NZ, who lost to Ireland twice in last couple of years, who were average against SA and only beat England by a single point last time they played in 2017 (admittedly at Twickers).

Looking at the tables (and form), England's run-in should be Australia in the quarter finals, then NZ in the semi (which will be very tasty and the winner of this will most likely win the cup). However now that England have qualified, Eddie may decide to rest many of first starters against France and be happy to lose. This would mean England would avoid NZ until the final. Personally I hope he doesn't do that, but it's nice to have that option. That's said, i am sure France would be happy to be group runners up, but they will most likely face Wales.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Rugby world cup 2019

Judging by today , and the ‘warm ups’ across the teams: SA, Wales, AUS and NZ would all be a challenge for us, I bow to all the apparently superior rugby knowledge though.

I truly hope we can do it, and that the team can find that next gear. The key is belief and getting it right on the day.

I’m a huge fan, who’s been to more England games than I can remember; since my first with my grandad at 8, but I’m not so blinkered that I can’t see the challenges.

Master
    Of all the "home" nations in the tournament I feel that only England have a realistic chance of winning the tournament. Ireland being the number one ranked team in the world is frankly laughable (and I say that as a huge fan of Irish and Ulster rugby), especially so after being beaten by Japan. If England fire on all cylinders they are capable of beating any team, but need to put in a consistent 80 minute performance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    If England fire on all cylinders they are capable of beating any team, but need to put in a consistent 80 minute performance.
    And the same can be said for both Ireland and Wales.

Judging by today , and the ‘warm ups’ across the teams: SA, Wales, AUS and NZ would all be a challenge for us, I bow to all the apparently superior rugby knowledge though.

I truly hope we can do it, and that the team can find that next gear. The key is belief and getting it right on the day.

I’m a huge fan, who’s been to more England games than I can remember; since my first with my grandad at 8, but I’m not so blinkered that I can’t see the challenges.

I agree they would be a "challenge", just as France, Ireland and Japan would be, however you said England wouldn't "trouble a better team". It was this I had a bit of a problem with and wondered who you were referring to - hence my question.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I think we can safely say England should marmalise this France outfit next weekend. I predict at least 2 tries from rolling mauls as the French couldn't handle the Tongan forwards. In the quarters Wales will smash France

A narrow squeak for France. Great entertainment and much better than NZ rampant demolition of Namibia, which was a no contest.

Someone needs to tell the France Team that Rugby is a team sport. Currently they have many individuals (some are pretty good) doing there own thing rather than simply looking after the ball and playing as a team.

The games against England next week will prove just how good France are, but I imagine Wales are already thinking about their semi against SA or Ireland.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Looks like Wales are certainly thinking about something other than the current game. And as to the yellow card.... can't tackle high, can't tackle low either it seems, we should just cut to the chase and make it tag rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Looks like Wales are certainly thinking about something other than the current game. And as to the yellow card.... can't tackle high, can't tackle low either it seems, we should just cut to the chase and make it tag rugby.

Its not that bad, I still see a lot of arms at or near the head and the ref ignores or doesn't see most of it.

Seems to me they use it as a deterrent to keep the game reasonably clean and sin bin the odd guy who they thought was taking the p++s

Master
    As a Scot I’m taking one game at a time, enjoyed this mornings game-and Wales/Fiji-, I’ll worry about Japan on Sunday when I get up, if we’re home soon Edinburgh and Glasgow will benefit from having full squads sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    As a Scot I’m taking one game at a time, enjoyed this mornings game-and Wales/Fiji-, I’ll worry about Japan on Sunday when I get up, if we’re home soon Edinburgh and Glasgow will benefit from having full squads sooner than later.
    Scotland need the game of their life, Japan seem to be lifted by the crowd and the climate suits them obviously.

If it was raining and freezing cold Scotland would give them a beating lol.........

Interesting matches today. Scotland was very clinical against Russia and put away their chances. I still fancy Japan to beat them, however it will be a close game.

Wales were less convincing and I think the score line flattered them. That said they did beat Australia so deserve to progress to play France, assuming England beat France of course.

The phony war will be over soon and we will start seeing some proper Test Match Rugby

Friedrich Nietzsche

The England V France game has been cancelled due to the Typhoon.
    I am not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.
    The England team get a good rest between games but I think England needed to play a stronger opponent and France could have offered this challenge.

England v France cancelled, Scotland v Japan a decision is to be made a few hours before KO. If the Scotland game is cancelled and no alternative arrangements are made to reschedule the match, then Japan will qualify. This could get a bit messy.
    Last edited by zippy; 10th October 2019 at 08:27.

I understand the decision, but not why they couldn’t move the game to a different ground. Seems a real shame to cancel even if the fans there would have had to be refunded if they couldn’t travel to the new venue.

Craftsman
    Rest is good, but I would prefer England to have had some more game time before wales/Australia. They’ve been bonus point perfect, but definitely 20min chunks here and there where we’ve just switched off and we won’t get away with that.

I’ll feel gutted for Scotland if Sunday is cancelled, not that they’ve helped themselves there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Disappointing that the England France game is off, however it's an injury situation avoided.

If the Scotland Japan game is cancelled, the the Scots will claim its was a fix in order to assist Japan's progress. Not a good situation for the tournament, but rules are rules.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Why they can't fly two teams to a stadium that is out of the danger zone to just play a game on a rectangle of grass baffles me. Forget ticket sales etc, just play the game even if it is to an empty stadium (unlikely given that 15,000 turned up just to watch Wales training!). Shocking that teams can be knocked out of the tournament this way.

Bittersweet for England. On the one hand no injuries unless they happen in training. On the other hand their preparation for a game against Australia will be 2 matches against walk overs plus a game against Argentina that was essentially over as a contest after 14 minutes when Lavanini got the red card.

BTW I've been in a Typhoon situation before (in Taiwan) and I can say that even if the storm hits the day before the game is due to start the chances of clearing up and making the area safe for tens of thousands of fans to get to and from a stadium are zero. So unless the storm deviates from the suspected affected area the Scots will be out as they wont get a clear up done in time

Master
    There could well be a few conspiracy theorists sharpening their pencils, should the Scotland game be cancelled, more so given the somewhat "surprising" free kick Japan got for a squint feed into the scrum well into added time, especially when this never gets punished in any other game and scored a bonus point try.

Only saying...………….

BTW I've been in a Typhoon situation before (in Taiwan) and I can say that even if the storm hits the day before the game is due to start the chances of clearing up and making the area safe for tens of thousands of fans to get to and from a stadium are zero. So unless the storm deviates from the suspected affected area the Scots will be out as they wont get a clear up done in time
    Why worry about playing in the original area/stadium? Fly the teams somewhere else before the typhoon hits and play the game! Fans don't have to be there, the ticket money has already been spent or lost or refunded or whatever happens in this situation anyway, but the game is played with a genuine result at the end that is fair for all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    There could well be a few conspiracy theorists sharpening their pencils, should the Scotland game be cancelled, more so given the somewhat "surprising" free kick Japan got for a squint feed into the scrum well into added time, especially when this never gets punished in any other game and scored a bonus point try.

Only saying...………….
    I’m not sure there’s a conspiracy but it was a bizarre decision. I watch a lot of rugby and I don’t recall a referee blowing for a crooked feed in the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I’m not sure there’s a conspiracy but it was a bizarre decision. I watch a lot of rugby and I don’t recall a referee blowing for a crooked feed in the last ten years.

What the ref is looking for is that the ball enters the scum in the middle of the two front rows. He doesn't care that it's thrown in at an angle providing it goes in in the middle. I think the ref gave the free kick because it was clearly not in the middle.

The days of the ball having to go straight down the tunnel are over but it still have to go in the middle otherwise the scum half might as well put the ball in behind the tight end.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    What the ref is looking for is that the ball enters the scum in the middle of the two front rows. He doesn't care that it's thrown in at an angle providing it goes in in the middle. I think the ref gave the free kick because it was clearly not in the middle.

The days of the ball having to go straight down the tunnel are over but it still have to go in the middle otherwise the scum half might as well put the ball in behind the tight end.
    If this was consistently punished, I’d agree but I didn’t see this specific scrum being any different from the hundreds of scrums I’ve seen both live and on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Why worry about playing in the original area/stadium? Fly the teams somewhere else before the typhoon hits and play the game! Fans don't have to be there, the ticket money has already been spent or lost or refunded or whatever happens in this situation anyway, but the game is played with a genuine result at the end that is fair for all.
    Yes but then without a Partisan crowd Japan would be disadvantaged and the last thing the organisers want is for the hosts to be knocked out. There's a lot more to this than meets the eye

Frankly ridiculous that they hold an outdoor team world championships in typhoon corridor. What’s the worst that could happen - oh yeah quarter finalists could be denied their shot. Ach well never mind. Hmm now what if it’s the actual final - hmm All Blacks V Japan. Yeah we cancel that too and call it a draw -

Don’t make me laugh.

Situation stinks of pathetic planning and a sprinkling of commercial decision making. Should be about sport at the finals. Be honest can you imagine Russia v All Blacks and All blacks (holders) eliminated because they weren’t allowed to play them? Things a farce.

Master
    Yes but then without a Partisan crowd Japan would be disadvantaged and the last thing the organisers want is for the hosts to be knocked out. There's a lot more to this than meets the eye
    And there lies the potential conflict of interests for the organisers. If they cancel the match Japan go through without playing Scotland, so where's the incentive to play the match and possibly lose?

It could end up being a very political and emotive decision, especially should the match be called off and the threatened weather doesn't end up being where they thought it might end up.

How late do they leave it to decide? I would imagine with infrastructure, transportation, policing etc that 24 hrs minimum required? So decision in next hour or so or not?

It would be very hard not to feel shafted if you were sent home having been denied the right to even try to book your place.

Eliminated by wind. A new one even for us Scots.

Scotland saying they will take legal action if the game doesn’t go ahead.

Rugby world cup 2019

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Can’t blame them - it’s meant to be a world championship ffs. We deserve the right to humiliate ourselves on the pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    We deserve the right to humiliate ourselves on the pitch
    Yep - we can do that all on our own. Bit of a shit sandwich for both teams as if Japan go through without playing then it casts a shadow on their performances and lets be honest they have been very good so far.
    As they say, rules are rules but I do believe there would be a lot more effort to resolve this if the teams that might lose out were NZ, SA, Eng or Japan themselves.
    I do not want Scotland to go down a legal route as it is already reflecting badly on the country. Just ensure the blazers know of the teams displeasure at possibly being knocked out by poor planing and stuffed shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Yep - we can do that all on our own. Bit of a shit sandwich for both teams as if Japan go through without playing then it casts a shadow on their performances and lets be honest they have been very good so far.
    As they say, rules are rules but I do believe there would be a lot more effort to resolve this if the teams that might lose out were NZ, SA, Eng or Japan themselves.
    I do not want Scotland to go down a legal route as it is already reflecting badly on the country. Just ensure the blazers know of the teams displeasure at possibly being knocked out by poor planing and stuffed shirts.
    Not sure how seeking the right to play your matches in a world championship, that you’ve fought and prepared 4 yrs to get to, is reflecting badly on us. The organizers yes but I think the rugby community would be very sympathetic to how we would feel if it doesn’t go ahead. It’s a complete shambles - the hosts and rugby authorities ought to be ashamed of themselves

I'm puzzled by the weather outrage, as a major cricket fan, it's just something you have to deal with. Look at this summer, we had so much rain and more matches called off than any other WC.

You can't just say don't hold a WC in England for cricket and the same applies to Japan - try to do your best in terms of timing and if the mother nature wants to havoc, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    If this was consistently punished, I’d agree but I didn’t see this specific scrum being any different from the hundreds of scrums I’ve seen both live and on TV.

I think you will find that it is. Perhaps in the Japan match the scum half was taking the p*ss or that the Samoan side of the scum was pushing just before the put in after being warned by the ref.

A free kick is a correct penalty for either.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Good luck with that. The rules are very clear and I doubt Scotland would be worried had they beaten Ireland or that Ireland hadn't lost to Japan. Maybe they think that a typhoon is a typical windy rainy day in Scotland and cannot understand the fuss.

Hopefully the match will go ahead and Japan beats them on the pitch because they simply are a better team.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Good luck with that. The rules are very clear and I doubt Scotland would be worried had they beaten Ireland or that Ireland hadn't lost to Japan. Maybe they think that a typhoon is a typical windy rainy day in Scotland and cannot understand the fuss.

Hopefully the match will go ahead and Japan beats them on the pitch because they simply are a better team.
    Well we won’t know who the better team is unless they get it on come Sunday. This isn’t sour grapes from Scotland cos let’s face it they don’t harbor hopes of winning the tournament but as it stands the tournament is a laughing stock and that is doing nobody any favors. And yes the rules are very clear - but equally we know they would be broken in a heartbeat if the holders or hosts could be “eliminated” in such a stupid way.