closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rugby world cup 2019

Master
    Disappointing and frustrating game for me, but the green wall proved a bit too much for us.

It should be an interesting final, and seeing what tactics England bring to the party to see them off.

But, well done Wales, and here’s to 4 years time!

I found that game very disappointing from the Welsh. Their heart was here but where was their rugby?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    A really disappointing semi final from both sides to be honest. SA probably deserved to edge it, just.

France must be absolutely kicking themselves. They should have beaten wales last weekend and I think they would have beaten SA today

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I found that game very disappointing from the Welsh. Their heart was here but where was their rugby?
    Yeah, that’s a fair question.

There were times when Wales had the ball and didn’t seem to know what to do next.

The SA defence was better than perhaps even we made it look, and we missed Liam Williams badly.

As I said, disappointment is my main emotion at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    France must be absolutely kicking themselves. They should have beaten wales last weekend and I think they would have beaten SA today
    I don’t see it like that at all, France have no winning ways, I don’t think they would have beaten either side today. Perhaps a change of coach will help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    A really disappointing semi final from both sides to be honest. SA probably deserved to edge it, just.

Time for a bit of Danish philosophy I think.

Søren Kierkegaard said something along the lines of we live our lives going forward, but understand them only looking back.

It’s a bit like Rugby tournaments then really.

You can only play and perform against those put in front of you each match, not sure that replaying those games in hindsight with different results tells us much.

It can be fun though!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutted but in all honesty didnt expect us to level at 16-16 so I was ecstatic and even thought we might sneak it at the end until the turnover which sealed our fate

Thought Halfpenny did a good job considering his lack of games.

Think we missed Navidi a lot and they were just too physical up front for us to get a grip on things.

With our depleted first team I think we will sadly get a good pasting next week in the meaningless 3rd place game.
    Last edited by kultschar; 27th October 2019 at 13:02.

I never thought anyone would manage to introduce Kierkegaard in a rugby thread.

Well done, mate!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    You wouldn't watch rugby if it was that type of attritional play every week.
    I dont fancy the final being much different with SA intent on pulling England into a forwards battle and trying to sneak it with penalties.

The game reminded me of a heavy weight boxing match with a couple of over weight, punchy ex champions coming back in to the ring for one more match. Either one could win because either one had a knock out punch, but both were too slow and lacking lacking the necessary skills to really finish the other off. 12 rounds later we effectively have a split decision.

Wales will be very disappointed because they could (should) have won it, however they seem completely unable to change their game plan - even after they scored their try. I appricate that North was injured,but simply hammering away against the SA pack or kicking the ball away was doomed to fail.

England hopefully will have learnt from today game and will execute better than Wales did. What really shocked me were the number of box kicks which were allowed to bounce, knocked on or just turned over. Error after error.

My biggest worry now is that England will be thinking they already have one hand on the cup and fail to turn up next week.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    An accurate summary.

This was a game which required not just heart and strength, but moments of flair to break through the deadlocks.

Unfortunately, Wales' world class flair players (namely Falateu, Anscombe and Liam Williams) were all injured.

I think having just one of them fit would have pushed the SA game Wales' way, all else being equal.

That said, given how well England are playing, all three would have had to be fit for Wales to have stood a chance of beating them.

Still, I think Wales did about as well in this WC as they were able to.

Disappointed that we didn't make it to the final. Not sure if we'll see another chance for 2 home nations in the final for a long time.

Simply put we didn't play the right game to beat SA. We tried to beat them at their own speciality and came up short. When we finally moved the ball the reward came. It looked set to come down to a late penalty and it could have gone either way in the end.

In all honesty we haven't really clicked during the tournament for some reason. We've ridden our luck and not really looked that threatening or inventive. We'll always suffer with injury issues due to the small pool of quality players. Had we made the final we would have had to mix and match again to make the best of who was still fit. I fear the wounded ABs will tear us a new one in the 3rd place game.

England definitely have the game to beat SA. They have been a joy to watch so far. I'll be cheering them on next week.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The game reminded me of a heavy weight boxing match with a couple of over weight, punchy ex champions coming back in to the ring for one more match. Either one could win because either one had a knock out punch, but both were too slow and lacking lacking the necessary skills to really finish the other off. 12 rounds later we effectively have a split decision.

Wales will be very disappointed because they could (should) have won it, however they seem completely unable to change their game plan - even after they scored their try. I appricate that North was injured,but simply hammering away against the SA pack or kicking the ball away was doomed to fail.

England hopefully will have learnt from today game and will execute better than Wales did. What really shocked me were the number of box kicks which were allowed to bounce, knocked on or just turned over. Error after error.

My biggest worry now is that England will be thinking they already have one hand on the cup and fail to turn up next week.
    Don’t think Eddie will allow that to happen. Also if they play like they did on Saturday they will murder them, this England side are good in fact very very good.

Just to add I watched the match in the Theatre on board a Cruise ship in the middle of the Atlantic 900 Brits going mad. Priceless
    Last edited by hilly10; 27th October 2019 at 23:48.

The fields of Athenry sung on terraces of Wales v All Blacks. All very surreal

Not sure what to make of that match. Some promising positions from Wales and 2 nice tries but handling errors let them down. Wales uncharacteristically loose in defence too but understandable given the wind-down nature of the game. Not easy to make parallels with the Wales vs Boks game and Eng vs NZ as an indicator of the relative merits of the 2 finalists as Wales changed 9 of the starting line up and some of the absentees are key players. I guess only Wales will know who the stronger side really is.

I was playing golf this morning so have only just seen the game.

Good effort by Wales, but it illustrated the gulf between them and the All Black. Watching the Welsh simply hammer away at the AB was an excellent Plan A, but when that failed where was plan B and plan C. It was like watching England 4 years ago. No imagination and totally dependant on the defence missing tackles or making a mistake.

As for the AB's they won at a cantor despite not having a functioning line out and a desire to play Barbarians style rugby. Worthily winners on the day. Personally I think the score line flattered Wales.

The excitement starts to mount at Chez Andy . Good luck to England and their supporters.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Come on England!

Really looking forward to this tomorrow.
    Haven’t got a clue how the rules work ( to a degree) but as a spectacle and occasion , it’ll be brilliant .
    Watched the semi last week in a packed bar in the city centre and the atmosphere was amazing .

Master
    25/1 for a draw
    just saying

Best of luck to the Springboks. ;)
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Arsehole. If it was Scotland or Wales in the final (Scotland 😂😂😂😂) I would want them to win.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Arsehole. If it was Scotland or Wales in the final (Scotland ) I would want them to win.
    Exactly that.Let this be one invariable rule of your conduct—never to show the least symptom of resentment, which you cannot, to a certain degree, gratify; but always to smile, where you cannot strike. Lord Chesterfield, Letter to his Son, March 26, 1754

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Really looking forward to this tomorrow.
    Haven’t got a clue how the rules work ( to a degree) but as a spectacle and occasion , it’ll be brilliant .
    Watched the semi last week in a packed bar in the city centre and the atmosphere was amazing .
    Watched it in Asda near the Etihad prior to the Villa game. Everyone around 'phones watching it, it was really exciting. Brilliant performance and interesting to note how many football fans take more than a passing interest in RU.
    Last edited by mjrennie; 2nd November 2019 at 08:00.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    interesting to note how many football fans take more than a passing interest in RU.
    I have noticed this more than ever this year. It didn't seem to have anywhere near this effect in 03 & 07. Long may the patriotism (in these gloomy times) continue.

COME ON ENGLANG!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I have noticed this more than ever this year. It didn't seem to have anywhere near this effect in 03 & 07. Long may the patriotism (in these gloomy times) continue.

COME ON ENGLANG!
    Well tbh football is turning more and more into a shite shadow of itself and rugby is a far better sport. The only problem is the gap in quality between teams is still a bit wide.

Good luck to both teams. I do hope it’s not a war of attrition up front and that both sides try to run the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    and that both sides try to run the ball.
    SA don't run the ball.

Journeyman
    Hour and a quarter until KO. Excited 😆 yet nervous 😬! Come on England.

Master
    Good luck England.

SWMBO's preparing the bacon rolls, coffee machine is at the ready and I'm about to light the log burner.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    May the best team win.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Arsehole. If it was Scotland or Wales in the final (Scotland ) I would want them to win.

And thats the difference between many English Rugby fans and those from other parts of the UK. Rather sad really, but unfortunately nothing new.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    25/1 for a draw
    just saying
    A fool and his money are easily parted.

England by 15+. (hopefully).

I would just like to take this opportunity to wish the officials a good game. Without the officials we would have no sport.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Well tbh football is turning more and more into a shite shadow of itself and rugby is a far better sport. The only problem is the gap in quality between teams is still a bit wide.

Good luck to both teams. I do hope it’s not a war of attrition up front and that both sides try to run the ball.
    VAR is destroying football. VAR in RU seems to be about a million times better. I'm very bothered by it in football and I'm not alone. Now come on England.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Theatre is packed on the Cruise Ship 5am in the morning. Come on England

Master
    Come on England!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Understandable POV seeing the smugness and gloating in this thread. If I wasn’t English I’d think the same.

Probably unbearable if we win.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Garces as ref........WTF!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Understandable POV seeing the smugness and gloating in this thread. If I wasn’t English I’d think the same.

Probably unbearable if we win.
    As a proud Welshman I hope England play as they have done throughout the tournament so far. They've been a joy to watch and thoroughly deserve to be in the final. (We on the other hand have been largely average at best in all honesty)

Yes, some England supporters will be unbearable should they win, but mostly they will be the ones that are that way anyway, regardless of the discussion at hand. Just to be clear, we have plenty of those in Wales too :)

All the same, good luck England!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    SA don't run the ball.
    Somebody forgot to tell them that.

Master
    Boks scrum looks impressive

Master
    Hmm. SA making the bookies doubt their odds so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Hmm. SA making the bookies doubt their odds so far.

Correct. Before play were 5/2. Now in play 5/4.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Balanced beautifully so far.

All SA at present - not looking good. Come on England.

Hope they didn't peak last weekend.

Master
    All SA at present - not looking good. Come on England.

Hope they didn't peak last weekend.
    Too harsh on your team.

Wow! That was exciting! Amazing defensive play by the Boks.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Andre Watson, part 2. Awful official.

Boks smashing England at the set piece. England looking very nervous and lucky to only be down 6 at the break

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Very watchable first half. England unlucky to be behind, and need to sort out the scrum.
    As a confirmed lifelong Ulster and Ireland rugby fan I say " come on England ", by far the best of the 6 nations teams in the tournament. Let's get this won in the 2nd half.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Half time score just about right.

SA much the better team so far, and England making all the mistakes. Can’t blame the officials.