closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dslr help

Blog Entries

Dslr help

Hi, looking to buy Canon slr as a present, I've had quite a few compact cameras but not up on slr cameras.
    My budget is around 150-200
    Girlfriends son is just starting out so any advice will be welcome.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    EOS 50D?

Master
    don't forget the cost of the lens that may be needed

60D but might be over 200 depending on condition etc.

I would not curse someone with an older canon than that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    60D but might be over 200 depending on condition etc.

I would not curse someone with an older canon than that
    What would be wrong with something pre-60D ?

I would put funds more to a quality lens, most DSLR’s like Canon or Nikon are good quality in daylight (low light shows noise from older sensors due to lack of high ISO technology), thing is a cheap soft lens will always be that no matter what camera you put it on.
    It’s a bit like hifi, good quality speakers will sound good in a reasonable CD/Amp set up, cheap speakers will sound crap on a good set up.

Saying that your budget is small, if it’s purely for learning photography then I would go for a 50mm f1.8 prime lens which should be about £60 and spend the rest on the camera body.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a Nikon man so can’t comment on Cannon but join talk photography and do some research on there.

Master
    Don't think your budgets enough for a decent camera and lens.

Master
    I have had a few Canon bodies (40D, 60D, 7D, 7DII, 5D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D3, 1DS2 and 1DS2) over the years before moving to Nikon. I have to say that I thought the 40D was a really well sorted camera which would be perfect for a beginner to play with. Someone like MPB or WEX would sell you one of these used for a very reasonable price with a warranty; see here: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...canon-eos-40d/ . Add on a lens like this https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...sm/sku-872342/ or better still a nice fast prime lens and you would have quite a decent set-up.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, you could consider a used 5D plus 50 prime for not crazy money and you will enable the chap to create some even more fabulous images.

Either way, good luck with your selection.
    Last edited by gc52; 21st September 2019 at 19:19.

Master
    Another vote for the 40D a great first DSLR

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Agree on the 40D is a great camera still have mine around I only moved away from it to have something smaller :)

I could probably sell you mine if you were interested I have the 40D and 17-85mm boxed and still in great condition, though the sensor could perhaps do with a clean

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    What would be wrong with something pre-60D ?
    Incredibly poor ISO performance. I used to have Canon but switched to Nikon and Fuji which are considerably better.

I would not use a 40d again even if it was free
    Last edited by xellos99; 21st September 2019 at 21:45.

Master
    Incredibly poor ISO performance. I used to have Canon but switched to Nikon and Fuji which are considerably better.

xellos99, I suspect that you might have had a dirty or faulty sensor or experienced hot pixels or"digital dandruff". The High iso performance of the 40D is not at all bad. Keep below iso 800, or 1600 if pushed, and images are pretty good.

If you go above this then Topaz Denoize or, or similar software, can help.

The OP can find a good review of this body here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d

The iso performance can be found here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/18

The OP can decide whether or not it is acceptable for his purposes.

As an aside I have owned a load of Fuji bodies in the past and fully agree with xellos99 that the out-of-camera jpegs from Fuji bodies are a cut above the 40D at all but base iso levels.

I also currently shoot with Nikon D810 and D850 bodies nowadays and these too are better than the 40D in every way.

However, all of these are in a completely different price bracket to the 40D ! I still maintain that the 40D is the best bang-for -buck (as they say) camera available. Canon and third-party suppliers make some decent reasonably-priced lenses in Canon mount also.

Blog Entries
    thanx guys for all your advice, looks like the d40 seems a good starting point for him.

The Canon that’s just gone on SC is a decent buy if you up the budget a little.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I agree. I started out with one but got shot of it, it was crap. I mean . . .

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I agree. I started out with one but got shot of it, it was crap. I mean . . .
    Yes they are, I owned about 20 different dslr`s and the 7d, 550d, 40d were the bottom 3 ISO performance.

Canon just cant make APS-C cameras with good ISO performance and the older they are the worse.

Get yourself a Nikon d5500 or d7500