closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first Vostok

My first Vostok

A few weeks back I ordered a Vostok via Meranom. Paid via PayPal. Was asked to provide a mobile number subsequently which I noticed a few weeks later. So the delivery got a bit delayed but now I finally have it in my hand.
    Quite pleasantly surprised. Expected it to feel small and fluffy but actually feels quite substantial and wears quite well.
    Ordered the model with a fully indexed bezel and I like the look. The crown is what it is. Surprisingly it is holding its own against a couple of sports Rolexes that arrived shortly before. May be it is the novelty but feel it will get worn quite a bit.
    Many thanks to Number 2, Lampoc and Mr.Curta for their guidance and encouragement.
    A few quick pics

Nice one Raj! Welcome to the club. I have a old style Amphibia and it’s tough old thing, never missed a beat.
    You’ve inspired me to look it out and wear it for a bit.

My first Vostok

Very nice, one of the better dial and bezel combinations IMHO. I hope you get on well with it; the more I use mine for its intended purpose, the more it seems to like it.

You often have interesting straps. Will you try one?

Banned
    Looks good. Hoping it runs well for you.

My hand cranker also from Meranom is running extremely well, +10s since Saturday. It goes a few secs fast per day when wound every 24 hous and a few secs slow if wound say every 35 hours. It has around 42 hours power reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The crown is what it is.
    What? That's the good crown! I steered you away from the bad pressed steel crown on purpose :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    What? That's the good crown! I steered you away from the bad pressed steel crown on purpose :D
    My 10 year old was showing me his wobbly tooth the other day, reminded me of my Amphibia crown.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    A few weeks back I ordered a Vostok via Meranom. Paid via PayPal. Was asked to provide a mobile number subsequently which I noticed a few weeks later. So the delivery got a bit delayed but now I finally have it in my hand.
    Quite pleasantly surprised. Expected it to feel small and fluffy but actually feels quite substantial and wears quite well.
    Ordered the model with a fully indexed bezel and I like the look. The crown is what it is. Surprisingly it is holding its own against a couple of sports Rolexes that arrived shortly before. May be it is the novelty but feel it will get worn quite a bit.
    Many thanks to Number 2, Lampoc and Mr.Curta for their guidance and encouragement.
    A few quick pics

I have several. Old and new. The crown action was designed in Hell and the lume is not very good, but there is something about them. Perhaps nostalgia for us older folk that remember the Cold War. I don't know. I really like them. May I ask the OP the model number? That is a very nice looking one you have there. Thanks.

Journeyman
    I like that very much. I tend to get lost in the vast range on offer on their website so must remember to book mark this. I was a little put off by the wobble crown when I tried my first vostock but soon adapted and grew too appreciate its quirkiness. I may have too indulge once again

Journeyman
    I think the model number is se020b38?

Really love that Black dial and the numerals as well congrats Rajmeister.

Have bought one! Thanks for the heads up. Here's a link.
    https://meranom.com/amphibian-se/020...-bracelet.html
    I already have one with the same dial but with date and a different case. I like the way the numbers seem to disappear when held in a certain light.
    Last edited by Kaffe; 19th September 2019 at 20:22.

I so nearly bought one of those.

It won't keep time like the Rolex but it will do everything else. Welcome to the Amphibia club

EDIT: Bloody hell, the yellow dial is in stock but I want the bracelet. Now I have to buy two.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 19th September 2019 at 21:36.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pickup, looks good value too. I like the plexi visuals around the edge. You should offer to sell your photos to Meranom for this model, you put theirs to shame (although don't imagine they were trying that hard...)!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a blue dialled Scuba Dude a while back. It had a certain charm that more expensive watches, (which lets face it are most other watches!), can't compete with.

Well done Raj good choice,
    Inexpensive they may be, but a Vostok has an honesty about it that very few other brands can match,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I think perhaps I hijacked the thread a bit. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Lol!!

Thanks everyone.👍

Great looking watches, roughly how long do these take to arrive from Russia?

Mine took a few weeks. Amazing what they produce at this price. If you read up on them you will find they are not only cheap but also have some smart innovations that any other brand would market big time (wobbly crown, case back ring to protect gasket etc)

Due to the price it is also a great watch to mess about. Changing bezels, crown or case finish (or more advanced stuff I am still scared of)

Ahh thank you, I really like the look of them. Only asked about delivery from Russia, as on the Meranom site it says it can take thirty to sixty days, which I thought was quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Mine took a few weeks. Amazing what they produce at this price. If you read up on them you will find they are not only cheap but also have some smart innovations that any other brand would market big time (wobbly crown, case back ring to protect gasket etc)

Due to the price it is also a great watch to mess about. Changing bezels, crown or case finish (or more advanced stuff I am still scared of)

I ordered a Vostok komandirskie last night but then seen a review of the identical watch where the owner said it only lasted 10 months before stopping completely. Kinda regret it now to be honest, the advert said average life 10 years lol

Master
    One bad review shouldn't put you off

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    One bad review shouldn't put you off
    Yea your probably right, we will see I guess.

I will be in a rotation anyway, I think the reviewer used it for 10 months exclusively

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I ordered a Vostok komandirskie last night but then seen a review of the identical watch where the owner said it only lasted 10 months before stopping completely. Kinda regret it now to be honest, the advert said average life 10 years lol
    Would’ve still been within warranty for a free repair in that case.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Great looking watches, roughly how long do these take to arrive from Russia?
    I've only ever ordered from Meranom and it takes around 2 weeks every time.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Yea your probably right, we will see I guess.
    I hope it works out for you. There are plenty still going strong after decades.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I hope it works out for you. There are plenty still going strong after decades.
    Two of mine are 30 years old and are running without any issues. I use them as a break in my usual watch rotation, and it's a refreshing break (gratuitous pic, sorry).

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    Two of mine are 30 years old and are running without any issues. I use them as a break in my usual watch rotation, and it's a refreshing break (gratuitous pic, sorry).
    Any 2414a movement ones ? It is a hand winder model that I bought for £27 delivered lol.

Master

My first Vostok

Since we're sharing...here is mine, with a modded bezel

Last edited by Bondurant; 21st September 2019 at 17:48.

That's nice, I thought they were just old watches, time to ask my Russian friend for a favour.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    My first ever mechanical watch! I love mine ordered from Meranom as well. I just about put it on the other day after a good few months of sitting in the box. Couldn’t be bothered changing the date though so chose something else!