closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's taken me 14 years but finally I have my 'grail' watch...

It's taken me 14 years but finally I have my 'grail' watch...

Well as the title says, it's taken me 14 years to finally get my 'grail' watch, I know it's a term some people on here don't like but for me it truly is the one I've wanted for too long.1994 Rolex GMT Master II 16710. I've wanted one of these since about 2005 but stupidly went with a Submariner for my first choice even though I knew it wasn't the one I really wanted and kept going back too.

I got my first Rolex Sub 14060M back in 2008 and kept it for a year or two before selling as it wasn't getting worn plus my ex and I had just moved into our first home and the funds went towards wooden blinds throughout our new home (still kick myself over the price I sold it for lol).

Then in 2012 I purchased a Rolex 116010LN which tbh I never really wore due to the maxi case but deep down I still hankered for a GMT, throughout the two years I owned it I constantly thought about trading for a GMT Master 116710 but never got round to completing a deal. Fast forward to 2014 and I decided to sell it after buying our next home, I was a bit daft in thinking we needed the money for the house when in reality I could off easily kept the SubC and still be in a position to re-vamp the new home. Then two years later we decided to divorce and the money from the watch basically paid my ex's solicitors and again I was still a distance from getting my GMT Master II.

2016 came and after the divorce I bought my own place and spent the next 3 years doing it all up top to bottom, I've dabbled with a couple of Rolex's and a lot of other brands, Tudor, Omega,Oris etc etc but none of them were the watch I have completely hankered for. So this year I finally decided after watching the GMT's rise stupidly that I would finally bite the bullet and get the watch I've always wanted, so after one day in May looking around I spotted a mint example in Milton's, a 1994 16710 Coke watch with original strap and other bits original to it, I rang Milton's and then drove over to Liverpool the next day and left the deposit saying I'd get it when I return home from working away.

I finally got round to picking it up the back end of August and then immediately dropped it into Goldsmith's for a new Rolex Pepsi bezel and then went back to work.

Just got home yesterday and picked the GMT up today and I'm totally smitten with it, can't stop admiring it on the wrist and tbh I'm buzzing inside about finally getting the watch I should of got all those years ago.

This one is my keeper unless I'm ever in a need of raising money to keep a roof over my head then this will be the one I'll never sell...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 19th September 2019 at 17:49.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like youve had one hell of a ride. The 16710 is a classic and well worth the wait, enjoy!

Lovely watch i always regret selling my 16700 as its was so versatile and i should have kept hold of it along with the sea-dweller.

I could never warrant paying todays prices for one though.

Craftsman
    Good on you.

Enjoy!

Well tbh, I was never going to find one for £4.5k like I could back in 2014 when I was considering trading the SubC against a GMT in Blowers, but I was happy with the price I paid, tbh I think it was a very very good price from Milton's compared to other bricks and mortar shops out there...

Back then you could have traded the sub for a gmt and got cash back! Funny how times change.

You’ve got the coke and Pepsi inserts, no need for a black one IMHO. Pick up a jubilee and a rubber b and you’ve everything you could ever need!

Mine’s been my go to watch for so long now but it hasn’t seen the light of day since my 40mm Everest arrived.

It’s not going anywhere though as it’s the watch I wore when I walked my daughter down the aisle in June.

Craftsman
    Coke bezel - my favourite.

Nice condition too. Looks great for a 25 year old watch. The plots haven't yellowed either. Does the tritium still glow?

Congratulations, that last shot in the Pepsi is perfect. A keeper for sure!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    What a beautiful watch, congratulations. The maxi cases never worked for me, I far prefer the shape of these five digit models. A guy I used to work with had one of these, a gift from his father. Lovely in the flesh.

I also really firmly believe in getting exactly what you want, even if it takes a lot longer. It's almost always worth the wait, in my experience.

Thanks all, I would like the Jubilee bracelet and will look out for one roughly the same age (anyone know the bracelet model number which would fit this 1994 16710?) and to answer the other question no the lume doesn't glow but I won't be changing the dial if if ever goes for a service. Milton's have given it one of their customary services and it really is a stunner...

A very familiar story in lots of respects! The watch looks very nice, well deserved and hopefully all the sweeter for it.

Master
    What a story!

I'm glad you got where you wanted to be, and sincere wishes to enjoy for many years!

Master
    Thanks for sharing. Can see why the 16710 is a classic and what a journey you went through to get there. Look forward to the many iterations of this on the Friday thread as you switch out bezels, change straps/bracelets.

Well done, it is a great watch👍

Journeyman
    👏👏👏👍👍👍👍

Journeyman
    Congrats on getting your grail watch. Really like the coke bezel also

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Congrats, it’s a lovely watch. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations - glad you got there in the end. The watch is a stunner - I prefer the coke bezel - dresses it up a bit. One of the best watches ever- slim, comfortable, accurate, looks to die for and super versatile (arguably more so than a sub).

Well done, it does look very nice!

Just lovely, and covers so many bases with the various bezels. I've often wondered how different a 16710 would wear on the wrist to the new BLRO GMT (which I do have). I imagine even more comfortable due to the slimmer and smaller case, but then possibly the older style bracelet is a downside ...

Anyway, many congratulations, lovely watch, and glad you got it in the end !

Master
    Superb! Well worth the wait for that beauty.
    I changed my insert from coke to Pepsi as well. The blue is really vibrant and lifts the watch.

Huge congrats - sounds like it's been some journey! The 16710 is a great watch - enjoy it! :-)

Congratulations. Mine says hi.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a lovely watch. Congratulations and enjoy!

P.S. Out of interest, when did Tritium go out and Swiss Made come in? Around 2000?

Blog Entries
    Wow. What a journey. Congratulations on getting your grail!

Martyn

You deserve it. Well done.

Journeyman
    congrats , good things come to those who wait. Sounds like you went through quite a few alternatives, so getting one after all these years must feel sweeter .

Good on you dude!

BUBI 0_0

I really enjoy hearing about people finally getting the thing that they’ve been after, and finding it as enjoyable an experience as they hoped it would be.

I didn’t have to wait quite as long before I got my own personal unicorn watch but it’s quite a thing when what you’ve wished for actually becomes yours.

Master
    Congratulations on your purchase! Makes me really lust for a 5 digit Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    P.S. Out of interest, when did Tritium go out and Swiss Made come in? Around 2000?
    Tritium was replaced with Luminova (Swiss dial) in 1998. This was replaced by Superluminova (Swiss made dial) in 2000.

Craftsman
    Well done! It’s fantastic !

Master
    Congratulations! Always good to hear when people get a watch that’s been calling your name for so long!
    Looks amazing for something from 1994.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Big fan of that, wear it in good health.

Love mine too, it's a keeper for sure and being able to change the insert is a great feature.

Yes, it’s a massive plus for the 16710, I’m looking for the correct jubilee bracelet next and then I’ll have the full setup, barring the black dial which I don’t want...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Love mine too, it's a keeper for sure and being able to change the insert is a great feature.

What’s the crack with the Roman numeral II in gmt master part. Read something a while back now and yours seems to carry that as opposed to standard II (2) sorry to change subject.

Mate so pleased for You wear it in very best of health.

A stunning Rolex . Congratulations on getting your grail , bet it was worth the wait .

Master
    It’s a lovely watch. I so wish I hadn’t procrastinated on buying one when they were affordable.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great choice, and a nice ending to the journey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Thanks all, I would like the Jubilee bracelet and will look out for one roughly the same age (anyone know the bracelet model number which would fit this 1994 16710?) and to answer the other question no the lume doesn't glow but I won't be changing the dial if if ever goes for a service. Milton's have given it one of their customary services and it really is a stunner...
    Have a chat with your local AD or call St James, when I bought a 16710 ten years ago I bought a Jubilee and end links from my AD for ~£360 which was better vfm than a second hand bracelet.

It’s a pity I had to sell it...

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    What’s the crack with the Roman numeral II in gmt master part. Read something a while back now and yours seems to carry that as opposed to standard II (2) sorry to change subject.

Some of the very late 16710s have the “stick dial” where the II are as I’ve just written rather than with the horizontal parts top and bottom.

It’s supposed to denote that it has the newer movement as found in the GMTc (3186?) but it’s possible that some still have the older movement (3185?) in.

The stick dial watches are more collectible and generally fetch a higher price than the standard 16710.

A great source of info on all things GMT is here.

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-..._timeline.html

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Have a chat with your local AD or call St James, when I bought a 16710 ten years ago I bought a Jubilee and end links from my AD for ~£360 which was better vfm than a second hand bracelet.

It’s a pity I had to sell it...
    Thanks, I'll give them a call next week.

Journeyman
    Superb purchase from a trusted source, a real keeper

Craftsman
    Congrats on getting your grail, looks like its in great condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Elesmy View Post
    Superb purchase from a trusted source, a real keeper
    Yes, buying from Milton's did take a lot of concerns away with spending a lot of money making sure I got a nice example and the service was fantastic, right up to the free bottle of Champagne as well haha...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great watch and well worth the wait. I wish more people were like you, instead of joining waiting lists that have no specific completion date.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Well as the title says, it's taken me 14 years to finally get my 'grail' watch, I know it's a term some people on here don't like but for me it truly is the one I've wanted for too long.1994 Rolex GMT Master II 16710. I've wanted one of these since about 2005 but stupidly went with a Submariner for my first choice even though I knew it wasn't the one I really wanted and kept going back too.

I got my first Rolex Sub 14060M back in 2008 and kept it for a year or two before selling as it wasn't getting worn plus my ex and I had just moved into our first home and the funds went towards wooden blinds throughout our new home (still kick myself over the price I sold it for lol).

Then in 2012 I purchased a Rolex 116010LN which tbh I never really wore due to the maxi case but deep down I still hankered for a GMT, throughout the two years I owned it I constantly thought about trading for a GMT Master 116710 but never got round to completing a deal. Fast forward to 2014 and I decided to sell it after buying our next home, I was a bit daft in thinking we needed the money for the house when in reality I could off easily kept the SubC and still be in a position to re-vamp the new home. Then two years later we decided to divorce and the money from the watch basically paid my ex's solicitors and again I was still a distance from getting my GMT Master II.

2016 came and after the divorce I bought my own place and spent the next 3 years doing it all up top to bottom, I've dabbled with a couple of Rolex's and a lot of other brands, Tudor, Omega,Oris etc etc but none of them were the watch I have completely hankered for. So this year I finally decided after watching the GMT's rise stupidly that I would finally bite the bullet and get the watch I've always wanted, so after one day in May looking around I spotted a mint example in Milton's, a 1994 16710 Coke watch with original strap and other bits original to it, I rang Milton's and then drove over to Liverpool the next day and left the deposit saying I'd get it when I return home from working away.

I finally got round to picking it up the back end of August and then immediately dropped it into Goldsmith's for a new Rolex Pepsi bezel and then went back to work.

Just got home yesterday and picked the GMT up today and I'm totally smitten with it, can't stop admiring it on the wrist and tbh I'm buzzing inside about finally getting the watch I should of got all those years ago.

This one is my keeper unless I'm ever in a need of raising money to keep a roof over my head then this will be the one I'll never sell...
    Congratulations