closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The (cough, cough) new Iphone 11 - thoughts?

The (cough, cough) new Iphone 11 - thoughts?

Im struggling to see what in real world terms it will do that is massively different to the exisiting models (XR etc)

I get that the camera is supposed to be mega mega etc - but cmon......

Don’t underestimate that - they’re more cameras with additional phone functionality these days, rather than vice versa.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th September 2019 at 14:35.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Don’t underestimate that - they’re more cameras with additional phone functionality these days, rather than vice versatility.
    True, the name iPhone doesn't really suit the product any more. I probably use the phone feature 1% of the time I'm actually using the device.

After 5g I don't see any revolutionary features being added to handsets anytime soon, just incremental improvements to batteries, processor speeds and camera tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Im struggling to see what in real world terms it will do that is massively different to the exisiting models (XR etc)

I get that the camera is supposed to be mega mega etc - but cmon......
    From what I can see it's not much different from last year's models (or even the year before that). But most phone contracts are 2 years now, I've had my current iPhone 7 for nearly 3, so the 11 Pro I've just ordered will be a massive upgrade, especially as I took no notice of the new models last year because I had no intention of upgrading.

Apple (and everyone else I guess), needs only to make the current phone different enough from the model two or three generations ago to get people to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Don’t underestimate that - they’re more cameras with additional phone functionality these days, rather than vice versa.
    Or handheld computers with a camera attached. There isn't much I can do on a laptop that I couldn't do on my phone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    From what I can see it's not much different from last year's models (or even the year before that). But most phone contracts are 2 years now, I've had my current iPhone 7 for nearly 3, so the 11 Pro I've just ordered will be a massive upgrade, especially as I took no notice of the new models last year because I had no intention of upgrading.

Apple (and everyone else I guess), needs only to make the current phone different enough from the model two or three generations ago to get people to upgrade.
    Exactly my thinking.

I have a 7+ and have been hanging on until this release, and hope I will see a big difference. The 7+ is still pretty amazing though!

Shame Apple have reduced the trade in from £280 last month to £160 this month for my 7+ against the top model new phone.

My daughter who works in IT and is s bit of a gadget geek, reliably informs me that the 11 isn’t worth bothering with and you’d be better off waiting for the 12 next year.

She still uses a 6s though, although she says that she needs to upgrade because it’s no longer supported by the new iOS.

For those with an X or XS then I don’t think it’s worth the upgrade.

No 5G, no USB-C connector on the phone to charge.

I’m holding out for the Pixel 4. If that is 5G, I might switch even though I’ve used an apple phone for the last 10 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I’m holding out for the Pixel 4. If that is 5G, I might switch even though I’ve used an apple phone for the last 10 years.
    I'm really keen to switch, but frankly am terrified of leaving the comfort of Apple. I feel too embedded into iOS with iCloud and AirDrop etc and friends who only use iMessage.

I was looking at Samsungs earlier this year and they seem as good for much, much, much less money.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I'm really keen to switch, but frankly am terrified of leaving the comfort of Apple. I feel too embedded into iOS with iCloud and AirDrop etc and friends who only use iMessage.

I was looking at Samsungs earlier this year and they seem as good for much, much, much less money.
    I’ve been gradually weening myself of apple for the last year initially because I got fed up that Apple Music won’t chromecast to my google home max speakers. I’m now pretty much exclusively using google apps on my iphone in preparation to be able to break free of apple.

Thinking now that most phones have reached their peak, used to upgrade every other year.

I'm not upgrading my iPhone X.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My daughter who works in IT and is s bit of a gadget geek, reliably informs me that the 11 isn’t worth bothering with and you’d be better off waiting for the 12 next year.

She still uses a 6s though, although she says that she needs to upgrade because it’s no longer supported by the new iOS.
    6s will run IOS 13.

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios-13/

New iPhone is a joke. No improved screen refresh rate 5G or even USB C. Even OnePlus are putting them to shame. That being said the OnePlus cameras are total balls.

I'm waiting for the Pixel 4, hope it has 5G. Netflix already leaked the screen specs which look delicious.

Not much of a step up from my XR but I will upgrade into the 11 in January.
    Our phones get passed down so wife gets the XR, daughter gets her 8 and son get her 7.

So in the long run we get good use out of them.

When I think about how much I do on my iPhone I think it’s good value. Especially compared to the 5 or 6 times a day I check the time/date on a Rolex/Omega/Breitling !!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Will upgrade next year as I have the Max.

Battery upgrade sounds good in the 11 but that and camera not enough for me to upgrade.

Guess USB-C will be chucked on next one properly

I was somewhat underwhelmed at the iPhone 11 reveal. I wasn't expecting much as the rumours predicted correctly that there would be no 5G or USB-C until 2020. I'm sure the camera is excellent though that of my current iPhone X is none too shabby. I'll be sticking with my iPhone X and consider upgrading next year if 5G rolls out near me in rural Gloucestershire.

Word on the street is wait for the 19

Why isn't it called the iPhone XI?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Probably something to do with xi jinping. Apple don't want to be banned in china like Winnie the Pooh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Why wasn’t X called 10?

Blog Entries
    Crikey, I'm still using an I-Phone SE!

And still mourning the passing of these...........

Although there may be hope yet......https://www.t3.com/feature/motorola-...te-price-specs.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Crikey, I'm still using an I-Phone SE!
    A lovely sized phone. I have the XR and it's a brick compared to the older iPhones. (It does take nice photos, though!)

Craftsman
    I shall just stick with my XS this year. The green colour on the Pro is quite a nice change, though.
    Last edited by Benji053; 19th September 2019 at 20:14.

Master
    I’m still using my SE too!

Providing it lasts that long I shall wait for the iPhone 12.

Needs five cameras.......five is the operative number.
    Gillette understand this.

Three is a bit rubbish....

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Why wasn’t X called 10?
    Well it was when spoken
    It's just a matter of time...

Excited about the Pixel this year, finally might leave apple.

I got the seven three years ago, having held in to my 5S for what appeared to be an eternity before that.

I need to upgrade the 7. It’s so slow. The battery is awful. Typically I’ve held out too long and will by an iterative model the year before something more significant arrives. I just never get it right 🤦*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Why wasn’t X called 10?
    Why wasn't X called 9?

Craftsman

If she is an IT geek, she should know that the latest IOS 13 supports the iPhone 6s, but not iPhone 6, so she doesn't need to upgrade

just the colours for existing X and newer users

went to look today like the total apple fanboy I am but no, not worth it over my X, which will probably not be bettered until the 12 comes out.

also I'll wait for 5G (when it comes to my area) and that means that and the 12 I expect will be my next upgrades - so three years with an X looks pretty likely

IOS 13 is a nice upgrade, had it in beta on my ipad for a few months and got used to it, but didn't want to risk it on my phone.

updated today and it runs really nicely and got the newer apple carplay layout as a bonus I wasn't expecting too greeting me when I started the car this morning

all of the above subject to seeing the 11 Pro max in green which they didn't have.......

Master
    Battery on 11 Pro supposedly lasts 4hrs longer than equivalent sized XS. That's not been mentioned yet but it's a pretty big improvement.

They have really messed the numbering up. The cameras are getting silly, but what else can they add.. xray cameras next..

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I like iPhones but realise they’re stupidly expensive for what they are, especially in comparison to Android. To counteract this I make mine last for 3 years - glass screen protector and decent case from day 1 , and tbh it takes about 3 years before I see any upgrade on the new generation that I actually want or need. My current one is a 7, and I don’t see anything on the new models that’s particularly earth shattering (and the 7 takes perfectly good photos for my needs). I’m hoping the XR or 11 are cheaper by April when the 3 years are up. I always aim to get the ‘normal’ sized model with the biggest battery capacity - friends with the XR really rate the battery in comparison to older models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    They have really messed the numbering up. The cameras are getting silly, but what else can they add.. xray cameras next..
    Thanks for that, really useful.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    If she is an IT geek, she should know that the latest IOS 13 supports the iPhone 6s, but not iPhone 6, so she doesn't need to upgrade
    It’s probably (almost certainly) me who got it wrong. Either she has a 6 not a 6s or I just wasn’t listening properly!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

It does feel a little "Welcome to 2017"

Craftsman
    Still unsure if I want to return to Apple.

Left last year to Huawei p20 pro. Camera fantastic, android is ok, but it's not as slick as apple.

However it's a very small difference and I don't think the price justifies it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk