closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Omega Seamaster GMT (2534.50.00) & Titanium- Opinions / Advice

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113

    Omega Seamaster GMT (2534.50.00) & Titanium- Opinions / Advice

    This is a watch that his been in the back of my mind for a while, I keep coming back to it & am now on the hunt for one.

    Does anybody own the GMT or have owned one previously?
    Just interested to know what to look out for when buying & any positive or negative opinions............
    Last edited by ENES; 22nd September 2019 at 21:33.

  2. #2
    I had white one for 16 years. If you are buying make sure bezel is not scratched, because of it is quite expensive to replace. Recent service is nice to have, doesn't have to be Omega service, because of movement is based on ETA 2892 and most watchmakers are familiar with it.

  3. #3
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    1,407
    I have one, it's one of my favourite Omegas. They are fairly common so you should be able to be picky and get one in good condition. It's very comfortable to wear.

    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Grantham, UK
    Posts
    5,492
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've had one since 2007, very comfortable to wear. It came on the 'Speedy' bracelet which is tapered so comfy but has pins to remove/add links and no adjustment. I then bough the more recent screwed link 'Bond' bracelet and added the micro adjust clasp - very happy with it. Wears fine on leather, NATO and Omega rubber too.

    A replacement bezel assembly (unlie Rolex, insert is not sold separately) USED to be about 160ukp but may be a lot more now so as advised, pick carefully.

    It is slightly thicker than the 2254 but the lack of He release crown makes it much better looking, IMO. If it does not hand wind smoothly, something is wrong (which a simple service will probably solve)

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Thanks for the replies & advice.
    I tried one on yesterday - it did sit nicely on the wrist & was very comfortable on the Bond bracelet.
    The black/silver bezel can look a bit much in some photos, but wasn't anywhere near as dominating in the wrist.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    3,576
    It's good to have if you actually need 2-3 time zones on the go at once, but the non GMT quartz Seamasters have a quickset hour hand and are slimmer and better looking than the GMT IMHO.
    I have the 2265, 2255, 2264 and 2254, the quartz are brilliant as a grab and go. As I wear a 16613 most of the time I'm only really wearing one of the Omegas if I need something else, I always pick up one of the Omega quartz, the autos really don't get a look in anymore.

  7. #7
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    93
    GMT diver could be the ultimate daytime holiday watch plus a second dress watch for those long serene evenings of gastronomic indulgence with the fair lady


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,299
    I find it very "loud" the number, bezel etc., all shout out at you ......

    for my taste there are nicer Omega Sports watches about

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    for my taste there are nicer Omega Sports watches about
    Such as?
    I am also considering other alternative SMP 300 models.

    The bezel does look pretty "loud" in a lot of photos, but didn't seem to dominate when I wore it.

  10. #10
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Such as?
    I am also considering other alternative SMP 300 models.

    The bezel does look pretty "loud" in a lot of photos, but didn't seem to dominate when I wore it.
    I think your above observation is spot on. I was never crazy about the Great White GMT for the exact reason of the (what appeared to be)huge numbers on the bezel. When I finally got to see one in the metal for the first time I was genuinely surprised how they didn't appear that way in person at all and instantly fell in love with the thing. I bought it and haven't looked back.

    Weird how photos can sometimes give a very false impression. Of course not saying those numbers aren't large, but certainly in my case they were nowhere near as overpowering as I'd always thought they were in every pic I'd seen.

    I prefer the Great White but both versions are amazing.

    Last edited by Tetlee; 19th September 2019 at 17:29.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Such as?
    I am also considering other alternative SMP 300 models.

    The bezel does look pretty "loud" in a lot of photos, but didn't seem to dominate when I wore it.
    Just the normal SS Seamasters

    Last edited by BillN; 19th September 2019 at 17:52.

  12. #12
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    That looks really good on the grey cordura strap.

  13. #13
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,077

    Omega Seamaster GMT (2534.50.00) - Opinions / Advice

    I like these models. I did own two of the black dial GMTs but in the end moved them on for the white dial. A great summer watch.

    If you’re going for the black dial, try and be clear with yourself on bracelet preference. Earlier models were on the ‘bond’ style (but without the two-button sports clasp and divers extension - just a single button gold-inlayed clasp). Later models had the ‘speedy’ style. The former does not taper, the latter does. I had one of each and found the bond most comfortable but much preferred the aesthetics of the speedy style.

    Both the GMTs wear quite a bit thicker than their 3-handed cousins (for obvious reasons) but not overly so. I definitely had a bit of a thing for these SMPs for a while, but have moved a few on now.




  14. #14
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    1,407
    I do like that Great White, seen a few on the Friday watch posts.

    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  15. #15
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    If you’re going for the black dial, try and be clear with yourself on bracelet preference. Earlier models were on the ‘bond’ style (but without the two-button sports clasp and divers extension - just a single button gold-inlayed clasp). Later models had the ‘speedy’ style. The former does not taper, the latter does. I had one of each and found the bond most comfortable but much preferred the aesthetics of the speedy style.
    I'm thinking along the same lines.
    The speedmaster style bracelet looks better on the watch to me - not tried it yet.
    But the watch I tried with the Bond bracelet wore very well & was really comfortable.

    That blue/steel SMP in your pic also looks good!

  16. #16
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    That blue/steel SMP in your pic also looks good!
    Thank you. It’s still very much a favourite:


  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Grantham, UK
    Posts
    5,492
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I find it very "loud" the number, bezel etc., all shout out at you ......

    for my taste there are nicer Omega Sports watches about
    The bezel looks a lot more obvious in forum pictures than in real life. The Rolex GMT bezel (pre ceramic) is nicer IMO but the sword hands of the Omega are nicer (I have had both models and favoured the Omega)

    Most (all?) other Omega Seamasters have a He release crown and that kills them for me.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I think your above observation is spot on. I was never crazy about the Great White GMT for the exact reason of the (what appeared to be)huge numbers on the bezel. When I finally got to see one in the metal for the first time I was genuinely surprised how they didn't appear that way in person at all and instantly fell in love with the thing. I bought it and haven't looked back.

    Weird how photos can sometimes give a very false impression. Of course not saying those numbers aren't large, but certainly in my case they were nowhere near as overpowering as I'd always thought they were in every pic I'd seen.

    I prefer the Great White but both versions are amazing.

    I sold my Great White because I could never get the bracelet comfortable - the watch head is heavy and flat backed and it slid around. I tried lots of straps and never found one that suited it.

    Until now. That grey strap looks fantastic.

  19. #19
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by unwittingaccomplice View Post
    I sold my Great White because I could never get the bracelet comfortable - the watch head is heavy and flat backed and it slid around. I tried lots of straps and never found one that suited it.

    Until now. That grey strap looks fantastic.
    Hey thanks, glad you like my choice there. I think grey works really nicely with the Great White, I also like it with this grey Aevig NATO.


  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The bezel looks a lot more obvious in forum pictures than in real life. The Rolex GMT bezel (pre ceramic) is nicer IMO but the sword hands of the Omega are nicer (I have had both models and favoured the Omega)

    Most (all?) other Omega Seamasters have a He release crown and that kills them for me.
    The HE crown doesn't really bother me, although does have simpler lines without it.
    But I do really like the sword hands - much prefer them to the skeleton ones on more recent Seamaster models.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    The HE crown doesn't really bother me, although does have simpler lines without it.
    But I do really like the sword hands - much prefer them to the skeleton ones on more recent Seamaster models.
    Likewise I have never understood why they end of life'd the 2254 style sword hands and kept the 1990's skeleton hands. I suppose they want the "Bond" connection but they didn't even keep the swords for the Aqua Terra or PO.

    Going back to the original poster looking at buying one - always check the lume on the sword hands. I had a GMT where the lume had faded on the hour hand down the middle.

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Grantham, UK
    Posts
    5,492
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    The HE crown doesn't really bother me, although does have simpler lines without it.
    But I do really like the sword hands - much prefer them to the skeleton ones on more recent Seamaster models.
    The skeletons never appealed - had the Omega version of an Aerospace for a few months (can't recall the name) and the hands didn't appeal. A skeleton version of a PloProf is a poor substitute for the long-lasting lume from sword hands. The arrow-headed current versions also don't appeal.

    I wouldn't say this model is "Omega at their best" as I don't know all their models but 12 years on it is still my favourite watch.

  23. #23
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,283
    I have one and it is firmly in the 'keepers' box. I don't travel as much with work these days (although I'm in Dallas today heading for San Francisco this afternoon) but, when I do, I always take it with me and use it for the first few days in time zone, mainly so I don't phone the wife at the wrong time.

    I've never had a SMP with a He valve so can't compare but I certainly don't either dive to that depth or feel the need for something else on that side of the watch.

    For me, this was from the high point of SMPs. If I were to replace it with something else it would be from the same era with sword hands and a 'wavy' dial. Mine came to me on a perished rubber strap (and I don't wear rubber outside the cellar) so I've replaced it with a 'Bond' bracelet and a nice 'gator strap with the Omega deployant.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Birth Place of Radio
    Posts
    2,601
    One of my biggest regret was selling my Great White GMT

  25. #25
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    32
    I want buy one also

  26. #26
    I had one
    Very accurate and comfortable to wear with a solid feel
    Barry Sheene’s favourite too, I believe.
    Probably about 1800-2000 now I suppose?

  27. #27
    Craftsman JPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    618
    That black GMT is one of the nicest Seamasters ever made. I'd definitely get it with the Bond bracelet. I recall the newer ones came with the "Speedy" band.

  28. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    I've been having a good look at all the SMP models from this era & I kind of quite like the look of the Titanium (not a GMT) Seamasters.
    Does anyone have one or have any experience of the Ti watches?

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,549
    I just got a 2231.50 which is the titanium black dial sword hands SMP. I love it, it was significantly more expensive than the 2254 when new, like 30-40% more and in some ways it shows. I have several steel SMPs including a Great White, 2255 and an incoming non-AC. I rather expected the 2231 to simply be a lighter weight matt finished version of the 2254 but in fact it seems to be made to a higher standard. The differences are subtle, the bezel maybe has a more definite action and the bracelet extension is a slightly different more elegant design. I need to check it with callipers but there is a chance the Ti one is fractionally thinner than the steel Auto too. Its a pity they didn't fit the AML non-AC dial to the titanium models though. I wish I got one years ago.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd September 2019 at 07:18.

  30. #30
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I just got a 2231.50 which is the titanium black dial sword hands SMP. I love it, it was significantly more expensive than the 2254 when new, like 30-40% more and in some ways it shows. I have several steel SMPs including a Great White, 2255 and an incoming non-AC. I rather expected the 2231 to simply be a lighter weight matt finished version of the 2254 but in fact it seems to be made to a higher standard. The differences are subtle, maybe has a more definite action and the bracelet extension is a slightly different more elegant design. I need to check it with callipers but there is a chance the Ti one is fractionally thinner than the steel Auto too. Its a pity they didn't fit the AML non-AC dial to the titanium models though. I wish I got one years ago.
    Thanks for that info - how much do you think I'd be looking at paying for a good 2231.50 full set?

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Thanks for that info - how much do you think I'd be looking at paying for a good 2231.50 full set?
    Between £1750 and £2250 condition/service history dependent.
    It's just a matter of time...

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Thanks for that info - how much do you think I'd be looking at paying for a good 2231.50 full set?
    They seem to be around 2254 money or maybe a hundred or two more. They aren't for everyone, some prefer the more classic 2254 look but I am impressed.

  33. #33
    The Ti SMP is probably the most comfortable watch on a bracelet that I've ever owned. You completely forget it is on your wrist. Plus makes the weight of a Pelagos feel like a cruel joke.
    It's just a matter of time...

  34. #34
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,599
    I’ve never been a fan of GMT watches, but this one definitely represents Omegas second golden era from around 1996 to 2010. That was the period when the quality was significantly better, tge watches were sensibly priced, movements were ETA- based no nonsense designs and parts were freely available. I own a few Omegas from this era and I’ll keep them, can’t stand the current incarnation of the brand but I do like the older stuff.

    Omegas first golden era was from ca1950 to mid-70s, reaching a peak around the late 60s in my opinion.

    The Swatch group restriction on parts supply makes ownership from both eras harder than it was a few years back, which is a shame.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Grantham, UK
    Posts
    5,492
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of GMT watches, but this one definitely represents Omegas second golden era from around 1996 to 2010. That was the period when the quality was significantly better, tge watches were sensibly priced, movements were ETA- based no nonsense designs and parts were freely available.
    +1, agree absolutely.

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The Ti SMP is probably the most comfortable watch on a bracelet that I've ever owned. You completely forget it is on your wrist. Plus makes the weight of a Pelagos feel like a cruel joke.
    That is also my experience. I've recently bought my second 2231.50 (I foolishly sold the first one) and this one is a keeper.

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Thanks for everyone's input on this thread.

    I took a punt on a watch with full set at a great price & this 2255.80 arrived today!
    It is in superb condition for an 18 year old watch - one owner from new & looks totally original, with no obvious sign of any refinishing having been done.
    I am really so pleased with this thing - way better condition than I had hoped for & that dial is quite something!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •