closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Incoming - Patek Aquanaut

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    24

    Incoming - Patek Aquanaut

    Hi all, I wanted to post pictures of my newest acquisition, a Patek 5164 Travel Time in steel.

    I've posted some thoughts about it already in another thread about the aquanaut purchasing process, but in summary I am very happy with it.

    Out of the dozens of watches I've owned over the years, this is by far the nicest that I think I've ever had, or indeed ever seen in the flesh.

    The dial seems to be a different shade of grey or brown every time I look at it, the movement is a joy to behold through the sapphire case back and wrist presence is fantastic.

    I love that it's so understated, although I did go into a watch store in Westfield West London yesterday and everyone who worked there formed an orderly queue to have a look at it ...

    Anyway, some quick pictures. They're just iPhone shots for now but I've tried to capture a couple of different dial colours.





    Thanks for looking.

  2. #2
    Craftsman Arcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    688
    Lovely, nicely understated.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,193
    Very nice ! I had the chance of this earlier this year, but chose the 5167 - but hoping to get the 5164 early next year. I think I prefer the slightly extra weight / size of the Travel Time.

    Do you find the date sub-dial distracting at all?

    P.S. You should try to buy the 5650 blue rubber strap if you can, it works well with the 5164.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Very nice ! I had the chance of this earlier this year, but chose the 5167 - but hoping to get the 5164 early next year. I think I prefer the slightly extra weight / size of the Travel Time.

    Do you find the date sub-dial distracting at all?

    P.S. You should try to buy the 5650 blue rubber strap if you can, it works well with the 5164.
    I did try on a 5167 and really liked it, then I had a chance to see a 5164 and preferred the slightly thicker and heavier case.

    I don't find the date sub-dial at all distracting, actually it's one of my favourite parts of the dial.

    Re strap colours, I would like to try the blue - and the green they once did - but they're quite difficult to get hold of.

    IMO if you like the 5167 you're not going to be disappointed with the travel time version. The actual complication is so easy to use and the mechanics of it are very satisfying - just click fowards or backwards depending on what time zone you're travelling to. The day/night indicators also work on the dial I think and the blue is a lovely colour. I am so happy with mine.

  5. #5
    How does the GMT function work ? Do the buttons make the hour hand jump between home & away or is the hour hand parked under the other one (how I used to keep my JLC GMT) ?

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    366
    Many congratulations. Truely one of the lucky ones. Enjoy it and cherish it in good health.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    How does the GMT function work ? Do the buttons make the hour hand jump between home & away or is the hour hand parked under the other one (how I used to keep my JLC GMT) ?
    Yes, there's a skeleton hour hand hidden under the solid hour hand which becomes your 'home' time if you're travelling in a different time zone; and the solid hour hand becomes your 'local' time wherever you are. The 'local' solid hour hand also dictates the date.

    Essentially every time you press one of the two buttons on the left hand side of the case, the solid 'local' hour hand moves an hour. If you're travelling west, you depress the top button and it sends the the hour hand backwards; if you're travelling east, you press the bottom button and that sends the hour hand forwards. Just click as many times as you need to. So if you live in the UK and you're going to New York for example, just click the top button five times as they're five hours behind us and the solid hour hand will jump back five hours, leaving the 'home' skeleton hand remaining on UK time.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    I did try on a 5167 and really liked it, then I had a chance to see a 5164 and preferred the slightly thicker and heavier case.

    I don't find the date sub-dial at all distracting, actually it's one of my favourite parts of the dial.

    Re strap colours, I would like to try the blue - and the green they once did - but they're quite difficult to get hold of.

    IMO if you like the 5167 you're not going to be disappointed with the travel time version. The actual complication is so easy to use and the mechanics of it are very satisfying - just click fowards or backwards depending on what time zone you're travelling to. The day/night indicators also work on the dial I think and the blue is a lovely colour. I am so happy with mine.
    If you want the blue Iíd send a message to Aksing. I bought the one was selling on SC but it didnít fit my 5167 so kindly let me return it this week so he may still have it available for sale.

  9. #9
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    If you want the blue Iíd send a message to Aksing. I bought the one was selling on SC but it didnít fit my 5167 so kindly let me return it this week so he may still have it available for sale.
    Thanks for the tip-off, I'm not on SC as I haven't been here long enough but I'll message him. Thanks again

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    80
    Congrats, lovely watch


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  11. #11
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I bought the one was selling on SC but it didnít fit my 5167 so kindly let me return it this week so he may still have it available for sale.
    Yes, I thought it wouldn't fit the 5167 from feedback on the Patek forum, but it's good to get actual confirmation of this.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    Hi all, I wanted to post pictures of my newest acquisition, a Patek 5164 Travel Time in steel.

    I've posted some thoughts about it already in another thread about the aquanaut purchasing process, but in summary I am very happy with it.

    Out of the dozens of watches I've owned over the years, this is by far the nicest that I think I've ever had, or indeed ever seen in the flesh.

    The dial seems to be a different shade of grey or brown every time I look at it, the movement is a joy to behold through the sapphire case back and wrist presence is fantastic.

    I love that it's so understated, although I did go into a watch store in Westfield West London yesterday and everyone who worked there formed an orderly queue to have a look at it ...

    Anyway, some quick pictures. They're just iPhone shots for now but I've tried to capture a couple of different dial colours.





    Thanks for looking.
    Saw one of these in a shop window in Guildford today. Nice looking piece!

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    South Bucks, UK
    Posts
    122
    Stunning, love this. Now only if i could get my hands on one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Master watch-nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South of Birminham and north of Luton
    Posts
    4,115
    Cracking watch. I donít wear my 5980 enough. Itís coming out on Friday. I have a hankering for an aquanaut YG the straps sell it for me. Stunning

  15. #15
    Craftsman Byron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    365
    Congrats. Beautiful watch.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Yes, I thought it wouldn't fit the 5167 from feedback on the Patek forum, but it's good to get actual confirmation of this.
    Yes it was a shame as even though the blue is very dark, it complimented the grey dial very nicely. I wish they made more different coloured straps for it!

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, S. Derbyshire
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Yes, I thought it wouldn't fit the 5167 from feedback on the Patek forum, but it's good to get actual confirmation of this.
    Patek forum? Didnít know there was one - can you show me where to find it please?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  18. #18
    Itís a great watch! I have a slight preference for the 5167, but then I prefer 3 handers to most other looks/dials anyway.
    It's just a matter of time...

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    92
    Superb. Congrats

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lichfield
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    Hi all, I wanted to post pictures of my newest acquisition, a Patek 5164 Travel Time in steel.

    I've posted some thoughts about it already in another thread about the aquanaut purchasing process, but in summary I am very happy with it.

    Out of the dozens of watches I've owned over the years, this is by far the nicest that I think I've ever had, or indeed ever seen in the flesh.

    The dial seems to be a different shade of grey or brown every time I look at it, the movement is a joy to behold through the sapphire case back and wrist presence is fantastic.

    I love that it's so understated, although I did go into a watch store in Westfield West London yesterday and everyone who worked there formed an orderly queue to have a look at it ...

    Anyway, some quick pictures. They're just iPhone shots for now but I've tried to capture a couple of different dial colours.





    Thanks for looking.
    Congrats, that watch looks fantastic!

    I went to the Patek museum recently in Geneva. Surprisingly they didn't have that many modern pieces on show.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    894
    Well done indeed. As I said in your previous thread, it's absolutely my favourite watch on earth.

  22. #22
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Well done indeed. As I said in your previous thread, it's absolutely my favourite watch on earth.
    Yes, I think it's my favourite watch too. I haven't seen anything this year that I like more, apart from possibly the new 5726 with the blue dial on bracelet, which I've yet to see in the flesh.

    I did try on a 40mm day date in white gold earlier this week, which I liked on the wrist. I'm just not sure about the roman numerals and there doesn't seem to be an option for batons with the blue dial.

    I tried on a 36mm blue dial (and diamonds) but it felt too small (somehow smaller than a 36mm DateJust weirdly, although I realise they're identical in size ... perhaps it was the added weight of the gold that oddly made it feel smaller).

    Thanks for all the positive comments on the Patek, guys. Can't see my honeymoon with this one ending any time soon.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,299
    Just looked those up - MegaMoney!!!!!

  24. #24
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    162
    Thatís a fabulous watch, love the dial and the complication takes it to another level.

    Was this a new AD purchase or secondary market, if new, how long did you have to wait? Iím interested in this exact model but havenít bothered as I assumed this was a case of, Ďdonít bother, thereís not even a chance of getting on the listí!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,758
    That is a nice watch.

    I did look at the 5167 about three years ago when they were under 13k...don't know what they are now.

    It just didn't float my boat as it felt a little small and lightweight but i now realize i should have bought it as i get older these appeal more to me.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,948
    Big congrats. Long wait?

    I have a 5167 but have been trying to upgrade to the 5164 for ages but not getting much luck. I did get a trade offer for 5167 plus my BLRO but the 5164 was in poor condition.

    Looks fantastic

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, uk
    Posts
    362
    That is stunning. Fantastic looking piece.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,990
    Many congrats, love this watch!

  29. #29
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    24
    I bought it from the Patek Salon in New Bond Street and waited around six months for it. I should add though that I had contacted them at the beginning of 2018 for a 5167 and then passed on it when it arrived in the autumn of that year. So I sort of had a vague relationship with them. It was also supposed to be a very belated 50th birthday present to myself which they knew.

    I suspect the fact that I explained that it was for a big birthday; that I'd already passed on a 5167 and that I kept in touch with them by phone and popped in from time to time all helped make the actual 5164 purchase pretty quick from enquiry to actually having it on my wrist. I've got to say that the whole experience with them was a brilliant one. They were all extremely helpful, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. And that was really important for me actually because I view the experience of buying something as being an important part of the ownership of it.

    I'd try them. If you really want a particular Patek and you don't come across to them as someone who'll immediately resell, then I don't see why you can't express an interest. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know, but I just walked in off the street. I'd never bought anything from them before. Maybe back in early 2018 the hysteria hadn't taken a full grip!

    Re: secondary market, those crazy figures you see on Chrono24 and elsewhere are just the asking price, I would very much doubt people are paying that kind of money for them, although I might be wrong. I personally would never buy from a dealer like that, not because of the money involved, but just because I fundamentally don't like the idea of doing business like that. I only ever want to buy new and from a proper outlet, and I see proper as being either the manufacturer themselves or an authorised dealer. Actually I think I would probably have chosen the Salon over an AD even if that had meant waiting a little longer. I get that that may well sound odd to some people but that's just me.

    Good luck whatever you decide to do. It's a fantastic watch IMO and worth waiting for if buying one new turns out to be a long process.

  30. #30
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    That is a nice watch.

    I did look at the 5167 about three years ago when they were under 13k...don't know what they are now.

    It just didn't float my boat as it felt a little small and lightweight but i now realize i should have bought it as i get older these appeal more to me.
    I sort of had the same experience as you with the 5167 but only after I'd seen the 5164! It's a little thicker, a little heavier and there's more happening on the dial and after seeing one in the flesh, I just preferred it. Not that the three hander isn't also a beautiful watch.

    Thanks for all the comments guys.

  31. #31
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    I bought it from the Patek Salon in New Bond Street and waited around six months for it. I should add though that I had contacted them at the beginning of 2018 for a 5167 and then passed on it when it arrived in the autumn of that year. So I sort of had a vague relationship with them. It was also supposed to be a very belated 50th birthday present to myself which they knew.

    I suspect the fact that I explained that it was for a big birthday; that I'd already passed on a 5167 and that I kept in touch with them by phone and popped in from time to time all helped make the actual 5164 purchase pretty quick from enquiry to actually having it on my wrist. I've got to say that the whole experience with them was a brilliant one. They were all extremely helpful, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. And that was really important for me actually because I view the experience of buying something as being an important part of the ownership of it.

    I'd try them. If you really want a particular Patek and you don't come across to them as someone who'll immediately resell, then I don't see why you can't express an interest. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know, but I just walked in off the street. I'd never bought anything from them before. Maybe back in early 2018 the hysteria hadn't taken a full grip!

    Re: secondary market, those crazy figures you see on Chrono24 and elsewhere are just the asking price, I would very much doubt people are paying that kind of money for them, although I might be wrong. I personally would never buy from a dealer like that, not because of the money involved, but just because I fundamentally don't like the idea of doing business like that. I only ever want to buy new and from a proper outlet, and I see proper as being either the manufacturer themselves or an authorised dealer. Actually I think I would probably have chosen the Salon over an AD even if that had meant waiting a little longer. I get that that may well sound odd to some people but that's just me.

    Good luck whatever you decide to do. It's a fantastic watch IMO and worth waiting for if buying one new turns out to be a long process.
    Thatís a refreshing buyer experience, I will take that on board and pop in when Iím next in London, as Iím 40 in a couple of years and a PP is whatís on my list, as I have an AP Royal Oak.

    Good to know thereís still a route to getting this type of piece.

    Pete


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,948
    I did enquire about the 5164 and explained I already had 2 PPs but the London Salon didnít want to know and said the list was closed for foreseeable future.

    Maybe I will try my luck again

  33. #33
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I did enquire about the 5164 and explained I already had 2 PPs but the London Salon didnít want to know and said the list was closed for foreseeable future.

    Maybe I will try my luck again
    You are not the only one. I tried to get on a list there for about a year, but they took no notice of the fact that I was an existing PP owner. So either OP has been extremely lucky or have a better relationship than thought. As far as Iíve been told - including my own experience, it is more or less impossible to even get on a list anywhere in Europe these days.

  34. #34
    Journeyman Watch_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    56
    Very nice indeed, enjoy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I did enquire about the 5164 and explained I already had 2 PPs but the London Salon didnít want to know and said the list was closed for foreseeable future.

    Maybe I will try my luck again
    Quote Originally Posted by roanje View Post
    You are not the only one. I tried to get on a list there for about a year, but they took no notice of the fact that I was an existing PP owner. So either OP has been extremely lucky or have a better relationship than thought. As far as Iíve been told - including my own experience, it is more or less impossible to even get on a list anywhere in Europe these days.
    Did you both buy previously from the London Boutique?
    It's just a matter of time...

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Did you both buy previously from the London Boutique?
    Nah elsewhere so it wouldnt of helped I guess!

    I did buy a Green Aquanaut strap there for my 5167 (before they stopped selling them)

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Nah elsewhere so it wouldnt of helped I guess!

    I did buy a Green Aquanaut strap there for my 5167 (before they stopped selling them)
    The green strap looks great on the normal dial 5167 imo :)

    I'm hoping my purchase history with them directly might help with a future order, but we will see as I'm still in the queue for two at the minute.
    It's just a matter of time...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •