closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly the worst week for the fundraiser ever

Possibly the worst week for the fundraiser ever

Which is very disappointing, given the amount of Sales Corner activity.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

i've dropped a fiver in just for the use of the forum in general - I would suggest all regular visitors (selling/buying/advice/fun) could make a small donation to boost the great charity side of things.

With giftaid it's over £6 - not going to move mountains - but a little from all is a gesture of goodwill I feel.

Thanks

Master
    I am sorry for you Eddie as this problem will not go away unless you change the way you run this forum.

Either have a set fee for using TZ or at least to use SC or appoint 2 or 3 forum police for SC that can check every post on SC and chase up those that sell but don't put anything in to the fundraiser.(Many so called forum stalwarts are guilty)

Even at a glance to me there are people taking advantage of you and your good nature.

Sorry for the blunt reply but it's the truth.

Mark

I contributed my modest but regular £30 per month as GAYE through my payroll. With tax relief and my company’s doubling of contributions, my nominated charities get £100 per month.

I did sell something on SC this month but funnel any contributions via work given their generous ‘matching’ offer.

I've also dropped in a few quid just for the pleasure of reading and participating

It is time to charge commission or a flat fee for selling on SC

Possibly the worst week for the fundraiser ever

Yes, disappointing indeed. People are inherently selfish.

What can you do?

People are selling watches worth thousands via the forum and they can't drop a decent amount of cash into the fundraiser?

Let's hope this will shame some of the big time freeloaders into contributing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Which is very disappointing, given the amount of Sales Corner activity.
    I don’t think that constantly referencing SC activity helps here; the fundraiser isn’t just about SC. We can and should all put a little in every once in a while whether we sell on SC or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I've also dropped in a few quid just for the pleasure of reading and participating
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    +1 for reading. I know that the idea is that everyone can contribute but I do think that SC users should.

Craftsman
    My suggestion, it’s not transparent on how to contribute to the fund , maybe have a simple sticky with the details . Also be upfront with the expected contribution , a lot of sales are low value but many are 4 figure . If I sold a watch for 3k what would be the going rate ? I hope the boss is fit again .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Just tried to make a donation and the link in the penultimate post in the sticky isn’t working from Tapatalk. Could someone who has access to a computer please post an updated one?

£ 37.50 inc the gift aid just in from me.

Shameful

But it'll always be thus until a forced fee for SC access is introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Just tried to make a donation and the link in the penultimate post in the sticky isn’t working from Tapatalk. Could someone who has access to a computer please post an updated one?
    Here's a link: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/tz-uk2015

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Thanks, donation made.

Craftsman
    All good causes.

I think that as more users migrate to forum apps from PC the fundraiser visibility has dropped to almost zero.

Out of sight is out of mind.

Its also worth remembering that many people regularly give to charities outside if the forum, so I'd only expect SC users to be expected to donate.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Just to point out, the fundraiser isn't JUST funded through sale corner... dealers are asked to pay a contribution for the privilege of using the platform alongside the private users.

I must also point out, nothing seems to be selling. I owe a few quid from the Masonic pieces I had listed, I'll chuck that in tomorrow (Can't use the link through my phone or tablet, only on my desktop at work). Other than that, I don't think dealers sales on here go especially well unless it's a Rolex.

Now, a far as the fundraising is going I agree that 30 quid is crap but how can you force more? Threads like this help squeeze out the odd 20 quid donations out but it's a one off, then it's out of sight out of mind again. And i must also add it seems to be the same people who donate, the rest are either very thick skinned, or can't be arsed.
    Maybe it's just that September is a skint month... I'm having a shocking few weeks and I don't know many people who aren't.

If I had it to give, I would happily empty my PayPal account into the forum pot. I dont have two pennies to rub together this week though.

Blog Entries
    Eddie

Clear the swamp no more sales no more pit or if it is feasible a E Bay type policy ie a listing and final value fee but like me you are at an age
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Annual fee to get full membership.

£25 per year seems reasonable.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

That makes perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    That makes perfect sense to me.
    I’d go with that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Another forum I belong to has a similar charging structure, it just works and I'd be happy to pay it here as well.

Master

+1 for me also Ive just listed a few items on SC for the fundraiser
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 19th September 2019 at 10:14.

Another +1; dealers to also continue (!) with the 10% sales levy.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    +1 for me
    Me too, annual or monthly fee a good idea, £5 a month via dd I reckon many would pay up.
    Another sept skinty here! Fundraiser clearout forthcoming in the next week or two though once I can find some of the items from where the dragon has squirrelled them, Smiths stopwatch anyone?

And another on the annual fee train.

You know it makes sense

Master
    Annual fee isnt the way forwards; remember the majority of the users here are 'casual users' - I get enjoyment from coming here for 30 mins once a week or every 2 weeks and rarely post these days, so I certainly wouldnt pay £25 for that.

When I was a very frequent poster and user - at least an hour a day - I would have paid.

So, I think a fee would see forum use drop by 80% and it would just be the usual bores who live on here arguing at each other. The forum would die.

Craftsman
    Another +1

Charge £1 every time someone types Brexit. You'd be solving world poverty within a week

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Perhaps those 'doing people a favour' by regularly selling what amount to new watches at a profit, should put in 10% as well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Cool

Aplologies,easy to overlook.Have paid in £30.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm up for £25 a year membership subs, too.

I've had a man cave clear-out which will be listed on SC soon... naturally a %age will go to the fundraiser.

Daniel.

If it’s a mandatory subscription then it’s not eligible for Gift Aid which does make a big difference. I think it should be technically voluntary but the norm for all regular forum members to support the fundraiser in one way or another.

Some forums put a star or some symbol next to your name to indicate you are a contributor, based on an annual subscription thats voluntary, this can motivate a lot of people to do the right thing and clearly marks out the free loaders too.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Annual fee isnt the way forwards; remember the majority of the users here are 'casual users' - I get enjoyment from coming here for 30 mins once a week or every 2 weeks and rarely post these days, so I certainly wouldnt pay £25 for that.

When I was a very frequent poster and user - at least an hour a day - I would have paid.

So, I think a fee would see forum use drop by 80% and it would just be the usual bores who live on here arguing at each other. The forum would die.
    Not sure that would be the case if the donation enabled SC and BP access, Adrian. A point to consider, though.

I may be missing it but I don't see the fundraiser link when using the Tapatalk app. If this is the same for everyone else this maybe the main issue as I'll bet most folk use Tapatalk on their phones etc to access the forum and so there is no indication of the fundraiser.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I’d be happy with an annual fee. The T6Forum is free to use but has a sub of £12 if you want added features such as image posting and ability to sell items. That seems logical to me.

Master
    Another forum I frequent have a badge next to username saying Fred Supports then the forum name.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

just make it a flat % of total sales cost, once sold seller edits sales title with link or screenshot link to donation - give them a week and if the link isnt there just ban them .

Blog Entries

Would that cover sales as well for dealers etc? Would seem a bargain for some and perhaps not for others.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The Fundraiser began in early 2013 and since then has raised a total rapidly approaching (ok, not so rapid last week) £100,000. That's a huge achievement by any measure. Focussing on one poor week doesn't tell the whole story. From a personal perspective I would be against an annual fee (though I would pay to see the back of the Bear Pit )

I have a restored another ship's light that will be auctioned here for the Fundraiser once the oak base is complete. Have a look at THIS thread (post #30, 3rd picture) for pictures of a very similar lamp.

I believe regular updates from the charities that are supported as to what the money donated has helped achieve would act as an excellent reminder. I'm not suggesting Eddie does this; he has enough on his plate. However, I'm sure someone would have the time and volunteer to take on this role once a month or so.

Master
    I also give regular amounts to various other charities the simple way is to charge to sell an item, I don't want to pay £25 subscription for a few minutes a week on here but I am all for paying to use sc.

There has actually been three different fundraisers since 2013.

£ 7,160.24 - closed 02.10.13
    £ 34,472.48 - closed 09.01.15
    £110,905.00 - open

Total: £152,537.72

All totals include Gift Aid.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

£110,905.00 - open

Eddie
    Well that is something to be proud of!

Well done on your efforts Eddie.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

£110,905.00 - open

Eddie
    Firstly, huge credit to you for implementing this. That money could have changed some peoples lives.

Secondly I don’t see how a fee could be charged for accessing the forum as whilst existing members would possibly pay, new members would never join as they wouldn’t value it as they would be unaware of what they might get out of it. So eventually the forum would decline. Paying to either sell on SC or access it might be an option, however it depends on what IT involvement something like that might take to set up - could be too much hassle for you possibly?

Thirdly, what always amazes me in life - why can’t people just do the right thing? It’s not hard to be honest, ethical and fair and treat people the right way. Maybe I don’t always get it right, but I try and treat people the way I’d like to be treated. People know the rules, it’s not that hard to follow them. Maybe give people a chance going forward and if they continue to ignore your rules, take action. Your call of course and you need to do what’s simpler for you as my guess is you don’t need the hassle.

Anyway again congrats on the fund raising, that a lot of money raised!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    And another on the annual fee train.

You know it makes sense
    Yep I'm in for that too