closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review of Davosa "vintage" GMT (Rolex 1675 homage)

Review of Davosa "vintage" GMT (Rolex 1675 homage)

I bought this homage watch recently. Here's my thoughts of it. Enjoy the writeup.

LINK TO THE REVIEW

Thanks for that. I had a Davosa years ago, which I really liked. As homages go though they are way off Revue Thommen & Grovana for quality.

I really like the looks and the thin case.

How does the 24h hand work on a real 1675? I know my 16710 is completely different with that rotating 12h hand. I have only tried the 1675 on a few times but always forgot to ask this question.

Is the 24h hand settable at all on older GMT Masters or does it just follow the 12 hour hand constantly? Only the rotating bezel is used when travelling through the different timezones?

Have you ever seen a Parnis GMT homage? For £70 I'm very impressed with mine, not sure upgrading to a £300 Davosa would be worth it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Thanks for that. I had a Davosa years ago, which I really liked. As homages go though they are way off Revue Thommen & Grovana for quality.
    Davosa must be the superior watch nowadays? They must of improved their quality now or lacked it then.

All the reviews say that Davosa are a tier above Steinhart (then grovana) in quality and even now they trump Steinhart overall in finish and homage execution.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Davosa trump Steinhart? I didn’t know that, I’ve been looking out for a steinhart, but doubts about the quality put me off, might be time to look at a davosa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Davosa trump Steinhart? I didn’t know that, I’ve been looking out for a steinhart, but doubts about the quality put me off, might be time to look at a davosa
    They are priced above Steinhart for a kick off. Not meaning that this factor is exclusive to qualify as higher quality but Steinhart seem to suffer in their ocean one range from pointed lugs or banana lugs that jut out .

Don't get me wrong Steinhart provide a great value for money propositon and are finished to a good standard. Solidly made and I don't think you could go wrong with a Steinhart or a Davosa.

Davosa business manager contacted me regarding this article and they asked if they could use my photos.

That was quite flattering.

They took the criticism very nicely too. I think it was well deserved because I don't see the point of independently settable 24h hand at all. Makes ZERO sense to me. Also the second hand not matching the second ticks on the dial is pretty bad and it must be fixed (imho). Seikos don't have issues like this and they put out superb quality in the 100 euros category.

Other than that it's pretty damn nice looking watch. Light box pictures don't do it justice as the dial and bezel are glossy and shiny.
    Last edited by JPE; 19th September 2019 at 20:31.

Craftsman
    I’m no fan of homages but that is a rather good review.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    I’m no fan of homages but that is a rather good review.
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Have you ever seen a Parnis GMT homage? For £70 I'm very impressed with mine, not sure upgrading to a £300 Davosa would be worth it.
    They look pretty cool. I see they made a "Batman homage" as well. They seem to be all "supercase" (6-digit) homages.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I don't see the point of independently settable 24h hand at all. Makes ZERO sense to me.
    I've never owned a watch with a independently settleable 24hr hand but from reading your review of how it works, could it be this way so it can track those pesky 30 or 45 minute offset time zones? This is not possible with the more favoured independent hour hand of Rolex, Seiko, Omega etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    They are priced above Steinhart for a kick off. Not meaning that this factor is exclusive to qualify as higher quality but Steinhart seem to suffer in their ocean one range from pointed lugs or banana lugs that jut out .

Don't get me wrong Steinhart provide a great value for money propositon and are finished to a good standard. Solidly made and I don't think you could go wrong with a Steinhart or a Davosa.

Thank you, I’ve not really looked at Davosa before, they have some nice looking watches.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Thank you, I’ve not really looked at Davosa before, they have some nice looking watches.
    I had a Davosa YachtMaster homage which I really liked. A shame I had to send it back to Chronomaster due to their wildly inaccurate description of its condition, really.

Thanks for the review. It's a nice looking watch, and avoids some of the blingier aspects of other homages. One small correction about your comments on Seiko's quartz managing to hit the second markers. I think we all know that they don't always. I've had several, including a Tuna which were way off.

In my experience, Citizen manage to achieve that alignment, I've three which are bang on, and Casio on my one ana-digi. If they can manage it, so should other manufacturers, including Ronda. I've never had a watch with one of their movements which has not phased in and out of hitting the marks.

Davosa business manager contacted me regarding this article and they asked if they could use my photos.

That was quite flattering.

They took the criticism very nicely too. I think it was well deserved because I don't see the point of independently settable 24h hand at all. Makes ZERO sense to me. Also the second hand not matching the second ticks on the dial is pretty bad and it must be fixed (imho). Seikos don't have issues like this and they put out superb quality in the 100 euros category.

Other than that it's pretty damn nice looking watch. Light box pictures don't do it justice as the dial and bezel are glossy and shiny.
    Last edited by dkpw; 20th September 2019 at 08:52.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thanks for the review. It's a nice looking watch, and avoids some of the blingier aspects of other homages. One small correction about your comments on Seiko's quartz managing to hit the second markers. I think we all know that they don't always. I've had several, including a Tuna which were way off.

In my experience, Citizen manage to achieve that alignment, I've three which are bang on, and Casio on my one ana-digi. If they can manage it, so should other manufacturers, including Ronda. I've never had a watch with one of their movements which has not phased in and out of hitting the marks.
    Ok. Good to know. I haven't owned a quartz Seiko in a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I had a Davosa YachtMaster homage which I really liked. A shame I had to send it back to Chronomaster due to their wildly inaccurate description of its condition, really.
    Do you have a photo of the YM homage?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I've never owned a watch with a independently settleable 24hr hand but from reading your review of how it works, could it be this way so it can track those pesky 30 or 45 minute offset time zones? This is not possible with the more favoured independent hour hand of Rolex, Seiko, Omega etc.
    Yeah, maybe. I find this system very awkward. I hope they'll change it to fixed position.

Update: I've noticed that the 24h hand isn't keeping in sync with the local time.

Setting that 24h hand is dodgy and now it's not even keeping in sync. This is NOT a GMT watch, the hand is there just for the show. Not very flattering for Davosa, eh? :(

Blog Entries
    Update: I've noticed that the 24h hand isn't keeping in sync with the local time.

Setting that 24h hand is dodgy and now it's not even keeping in sync. This is NOT a GMT watch, the hand is there just for the show. Not very flattering for Davosa, eh? :(
    If I understand you, surely this is a fault.

Watch was a little disappointing but at least it photographs well.

I was thinking about trying one of these and wondered if anyone else had any experience of this particular model?