closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cotswolds hotels.

Master

Cotswolds hotels.

The wife and I want to go away for a couple of days early next month to celebrate our wedding anniversary and a quick look at google images suggests that the Cotswolds is not a bad place to try.
    I did a quick search and the only result I saw for Cotswold hotels is from 2010 and as we all know, a hotel that might have been great then could be awful now, so after some recommendations off anyone who has stayed there recently.

Cheers.

If a self-catering holiday home is an option try Cotswold character cottages.
    We booked through them last bank holiday for a place in Stow.

Craftsman
    Stayed at the Redesdale Arms in Moreton-in-Marsh a few times and good food and rooms. Good location for exploring the Cotswolds.
    https://www.redesdalearms.com/

We stayed here https://sudeleycastle.co.uk/cottages self catering last April and it was really nice (well apart from the vertigo attack I had). Just a short distance from the likes of Stow and Bourton on Water.

Master
    Broadway is a really lovely village. We stayed at the Lygon Arms which is a lovely hotel with lots of character. There’s quite a few nice hotels around that area.

Hotels or will pubs with nice accommodation ?? Plenty of hints for that sort of thing.

Journeyman
    I’d second Broadway, I go there a lot in my camper van as it is fairly local to me. Lygon Arms is nice but Dormey House is nicer if you want to push the boat out. I also like Boughton on the water and it will be (slightly) less tourist filled that time of year and fairly central if you fancy checking out other locations in the Cotswolds. I’d recommend the apartments available through the Cotswold perfumery if available, very high spec. My personal favourite would be Lords of the Manor Hotel in Upper slaughter, the walk between upper and lower slaughter along the Windrush makes me think I’m in Hobbiton.

Bourton On The Water... Lovely place.
    Nice to hear about Lygon Ams - we've booked fo October half term. Broadway is lovely.

We've stayed at Cotswold House in Chipping Campden a couple times. Lovely village and drive to get there is lovely.
    As also mention, Slaughters lovely (Upper and Lower).

Check out Secret Escapes, or Off Peak Luxury for some good inclusive deals.
    Booke the Lygon Arms through Mr & Mrs Smith, and got 4 nights for 3, with a few extras thrown in.

Stunning place the Cotswolds... could quite happily move there one day...

Master
    Whatley Manor is on the edge of the Cotswolds and was stunning first class food with two Michelin stars and a superb spa but they do charge for it.

Last stayed there two years ago so dbl check tripadvisor if interested.

Avoid Bourton on the Water until the depths of winter. It is ghastly in the season , I know, my parents lived there until recently.

Master
    The two De Vere places are catching our eye at the moment. I like the thought of the view over the lake, but I also think that Manor House looks stunning too.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    The two De Vere places are catching our eye at the moment. I like the thought of the view over the lake, but I also think that Manor House looks stunning too.
    At the water parks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    At the water parks?
    One is at a water park, the other is just off the M5

One is at a water park, the other is just off the M5
    The one at the Cotswold water parks is really nothing special if you've been to one De Vere you've seen them all. It's about 10-15 minutes up the road from me and been there several times, whilst it's ok it's nothing special. The Hare and Hounds in Tetbury and as CM said Whatley Manor are great.
    looking for somewhere to eat out......Potting Shed in Crudwell which isn't far or the Wild Duck at Ewen which may be open again next month not sure.

Craftsman
    The Slaughters Manor House.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The one at the Cotswold water parks is really nothing special if you've been to one De Vere you've seen them all. It's about 10-15 minutes up the road from me and been there several times, whilst it's ok it's nothing special. The Hare and Hounds in Tetbury and as CM said Whatley Manor are great.
    looking for somewhere to eat out......Potting Shed in Crudwell which isn't far or the Wild Duck at Ewen which may be open again next month not sure.
    Whatley Manor is fully booked for my dates unfortunately.
    De Vere Tortworth Court is very different from the De Vere water park hotels though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    The Slaughters Manor House.
    Fully booked.

Master
    The de vere at the water park is very corporate. My company block books it for 6 weeks each summer for all our residential training courses. If the thought of sharing your stay with 300 auditors wasn’t bad enough, The rooms near the water are always full of spiders for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    The de vere at the water park is very corporate. My company block books it for 6 weeks each summer for all our residential training courses. If the thought of sharing your stay with 300 auditors wasn’t bad enough, The rooms near the water are always full of spiders for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks. I’ll give that one a miss then.

Craftsman
    Take a look at any of the properties owned by Cotswold Inns. I’ve stayed in all of them over the years.

https://www.cotswold-inns-hotels.co.uk

Master
    Heard good things about Ellenborough Park.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...s_England.html

But no first hand experience yet.

Also Cowley Manor? Stayed there five or six years ago good spa and food but no Whatley, but it might be worth a look?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Take a look at any of the properties owned by Cotswold Inns. I’ve stayed in all of them over the years.

https://www.cotswold-inns-hotels.co.uk
    There are a couple on there that look nice. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Heard good things about Ellenborough Park.

But no first hand experience yet.

Also Cowley Manor? Stayed there five or six years ago good spa and food but no Whatley, but it might be worth a look?
    Both fully booked for our dates.

We stayed at the Old Stocks in Stow-on-the-Wold a couple of years ago, very nice indeed

https://www.oldstocksinn.com/

Craftsman
    There are a couple on there that look nice. Thank you.

To help you choose from Cotswolds Inns, here's my opinion on the towns ..

The Close - Tetbury - Very nice location, town is busy and lots to do/see right on the doorstep
    Hare & Hounds - Tetbury - Out of town, captive market, need car to go anywhere
    Manor House - Moreton In Marsh - Nice location, plenty of other dining/drinking options nearby
    Lamb - Burford - Lovely stereotypical Cotswold town, lot's of other places to see/eat/drink but very touristy
    The Bear Of Rodborough - Stroud - the most chavvy Cotswold town, I'd give it a miss
    The Broadway - Broadway - Less to do, very touristy
    The Swan - Bibury - Not much else to do, very touristy. Visit here for a walk and to see Arlington Row (famous also for the yellow car) but no need to stay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-39456449

The other consideration might be to stay in Cheltenham and do a couple of day trips around the Cotswold towns. Cheltenham is a great city.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    To help you choose from Cotswolds Inns, here's my opinion on the towns ..

The Close - Tetbury - Very nice location, town is busy and lots to do/see right on the doorstep
    Hare & Hounds - Tetbury - Out of town, captive market, need car to go anywhere
    Manor House - Moreton In Marsh - Nice location, plenty of other dining/drinking options nearby
    Lamb - Burford - Lovely stereotypical Cotswold town, lot's of other places to see/eat/drink but very touristy
    The Bear Of Rodborough - Stroud - the most chavvy Cotswold town, I'd give it a miss
    The Broadway - Broadway - Less to do, very touristy
    The Swan - Bibury - Not much else to do, very touristy. Visit here for a walk and to see Arlington Row (famous also for the yellow car) but no need to stay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-39456449

The other consideration might be to stay in Cheltenham and do a couple of day trips around the Cotswold towns. Cheltenham is a great city.
    Thank you for this, most helpful.

Master
    Thank you for all your help folks. We ended up booking the MacDonald Alveston Manor in Stratford-upon-Avon.
    It fell comfortably with the budget we set ourselves and I liked the idea of a swimming pool area to relax in, in the evenings.

Too late to suggest the Pudding Club then. Maybe next time.

https://www.threewayshousehotel.com/pudding-club/

Hi Big Vic

Me and 2 other couples are staying in Mickleton over October half term did you try the Pudding club ? , more importantly did you use the 2 pubs in the village
    The Butchers Arms and the Kings Arms ?

Cheers

Wayne

Craftsman
    A place I've stayed a few times is the Wyck Hill House Hotel, it's beautiful, and the restaurant is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Hi Big Vic

Me and 2 other couples are staying in Mickleton over October half term did you try the Pudding club ? , more importantly did you use the 2 pubs in the village
    The Butchers Arms and the Kings Arms ?

Cheers

Wayne
    Me and the missus have been to the pudding club a couple of times & I organised a large group booking of about 24 once too. It is simply marvellous!
    We’ve only managed the Kings Arms once after a night on the puds, it’s not a night for beer.

Master
    Well we are off on our weekend away tomorrow and a quick google shows that the British Motor Museum is only a half hour drive from our hotel.
    Can anyone who’s been say if it’s worth a visit?

Well we are off on our weekend away tomorrow and a quick google shows that the British Motor Museum is only a half hour drive from our hotel.
    Can anyone who’s been say if it’s worth a visit?
    Its worth a visit

Grand Master
    we stay here every year during the WOMAD festival. It's a b and b but the owner is a great guy and his level of service is absolutely superb, food is excellent and the barn wing with the glass wall is on the riverbank, he'll even provide you a fishing pole. we came back wet and cold and muddy at 01.00 am the first year we stayed and upon waking our coats and shoes had been cleaned and dried out. for a b and b it's 5 star service.

http://trucklebridge-bed-breakfast.w...hotels.net/en/
    https://www.facebook.com/Trucklebridge/
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 3rd October 2019 at 23:17.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    The rooms near the water are always full of spiders for some reason.
    Ick. Bleurgh.

Blog Entries
    The wife and I want to go away for a couple of days early next month to celebrate our wedding anniversary and a quick look at google images suggests that the Cotswolds is not a bad place to try.
    Not that I intend to criticise your choice of the Cotswolds but I used to live in Mid Glamorgan and it's beautiful round there as well as surrounding areas such as the Gower and Brecon Beacons. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Not that I intend to criticise your choice of the Cotswolds but I used to live in Mid Glamorgan and it's beautiful round there as well as surrounding areas such as the Gower and Brecon Beacons. ;-)
    I totally agree with you Mark. Indeed, Brecon, West and North Wales are all beautiful.........BUT, it just rains all the bloody time.
    Plus it would be nice to go somewhere we haven’t been before.

Blog Entries
    BUT, it just rains all the bloody time.
    Plus it would be nice to go somewhere we haven’t been before.
    Hah, so true about the rain. ;-) And mist on the hills.