closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Must do"s in Seville and Granada?

Must do"s in Seville and Granada?

We're off to Seville on Thursday and then Granada.
    Got tickets for the Alhambra but not really planned anything else yet.

Will be making the most of the Tapas bars and will be checking out some Flamenco I'm sure.

Is there anything you recommend we shouldn't miss?

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Coronation Street tour?

We're staying in Triana in Seville and by Plaza De La Trinidad in Granada if that makes any difference....

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Coronation Street tour?
    Had to think about that for a minute!

Master
    The Parasol in Seville is great as is Triana Market for a wander and (several) bites to eat.

Master
    In Sevilla, I'd say, the Cathedral, the Giralda, the royal palace (all obvious I'm sure); also check out Metropol Parasol (wooden structure). I'd recommend two restaurants in particular, La Cava, superb tapas in the centre, and Vega 10, just across the river from the centre, in Triana - we'd have happily eaten there every night. Superb local food at very modest prices.

Master
    The Royal Alcázars of Seville (Palace & Gardens) were pretty special & have a Game of Thrones connection if that's your thing .

El Rinconcillo is alledgedly the oldest bar & home of Tapas, very decent indeed.

Best thing was bumbling along from place to place, couple of beers/wines in each & a few plates of something or other & it seemed impossible to exceed 20 euros each time (3 years ago).

The Alhambra Palace deserves more than an hour or two don't rush it just let people pass you, apparently there's caves where authentic flamenco is performed - this is high on my list next time we visit Granada.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post

Best thing was bumbling along from place to place, couple of beers/wines in each & a few plates of something or other & it seemed impossible to exceed 20 euros each time (3 years ago).
    I concur!
    Seville is fairly compact so you can just amble around and enjoy the feel of the place. Definitely one of my favourite cities.

Must do"s in Seville and Granada?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The Alhambra Palace deserves more than an hour or two don't rush it just let people pass you, apparently there's caves where authentic flamenco is performed - this is high on my list next time we visit Granada.
    Granada:
    The caves for flamenco are round at the back of the Alhambra, on Sacromonte. Know your etiquette if you’re going somewhere proper. Don’t clap along unless you know how to! (Which you don’t)

There is a street chokka with tapas bars, Calle Navas, of which Los Diamantes is excellent - but very Spanish. Be prepared to stand (if yr lucky), squeeze in, make yourself seen to get served, locals will hog the bar. It’s effort!

Sevilla:
    Loads of tourist stuff. Christopher Columbus’ tomb is inside the cathedral.
    Great bar near the Cathedral as you head toward Jewish quarter, La Fresquita - again very Spanish. Great tapas. Tiny, room for 10, plus same outside at most.
    There is also a restaurant directly behind the bullring, I forget the name, it’s on a corner opposite the rear entrance to the bullring. Walls covered in the heads of the fallen from the bullring (4-legged fallen only!).
    Very Spanish food. Very busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 17th September 2019 at 18:33.

Many thanks

Blog Entries
    If you have the time, a short ride away is Cordoba, where the Mezquita is fabulous. A mosque converted several times to church and back. We also enjoyed la Feria de Avril, the Sevilla fest at the end of April (may be next time). Remember the churros at night, before going back to the hotel.
    Last edited by Franco; 17th September 2019 at 18:57.

Thanks folks, great info.

I can't wait....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Master
    Have a few drinks on the terrace at the Hotel Alfonzo XIII

Plenty of good advice already,from experience it’s hard to have a bad time in these places.With lunch the Alhambra complex and gardens Is a day, lunch at the parador on the terrace imho is worth it for the view alone, food is alright too .
    Córdobas lovely.
    On the topic of caves there’s a place called Guadix under an hour from Granada, has a whole neighbourhood of cave houses and museum on the subject, there’s even a cave hotel and various very cute cave house air B and B options.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th September 2019 at 20:32.

Granada: if you have kids with you the science museum is pretty good - also short drive up the mountains you can go skiing

Craftsman
    My wife and I did Granada and Seville last spring and it was a fantastic trip.

It goes without saying that the Alhambra is an absolute must. As another poster said, take your time, don't rush. It is really beautiful.

The tradition in Granada is that a free tapas are provided with every drink. We didn't know this the first night, and ended up with a mountain of food!

Some of the nicest food we had in Granada was in La Tabernilla del Darro.

The food in Seville was very good. Eslava was the standout tapas bar. We got a seat at the bar two nights, and made our way through the menu. Heaven!

Master
    I was in Granada in May, we booked on a couple of these free tours, really excellent English speaking guides, very informative and gives you the chance to get familiar with the city, though free, donations are welcome but there is no pressure to donate.
    https://walkingranada.com/en/#pll_switcher
    Also the Mercado San Agustin food market, just find a table and order food from any of the stall holders who bring your order to you, great way of trying a selection of ham, cheeses, shellfish and anything else you can think of!.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...Andalucia.html

Bob.

Nothing to add for Seville or Granada, but I will echo the suggestions to go and see the Mesquita in Cordoba. I liked it more than the cathderal in Seville.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    They gave me a big bowl of carnes en salsa in Cuenca tonight instead of a tapas portion,my favourite.

The coffee guide may help.

They have somehow gotten scum mixed up with cream on the breakfast choice they laughed when I showed them the translation.

enclave deathclaw

Craftsman
    Some useful info on here. We will be in the area over Christmas and we'll definitely be going to Granada for a visit.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Nope, no authentic flamenco tourist performance I am afraid. You would need to go into the interior for that.

Granada; avoid the cathedral or albaicin barrios. El realejo is the imo most pleasant barrio close to the centre.

Seville centre has gone tourist trap. Around the Plaza El Salvador week nights is still a popular student hang out. The area around (south-west) of the Plaza de España is also still nice. A must see by the way that monument. Pleasant park too.

If you are driving from Seville to Granada, stop for lunch in either Antequera (Arte de Tapas) or Archidona (Arxiduna Plaza Ochavada).

Enjoy your trip!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Granada: if you have kids with you the science museum is pretty good -
    I second that.
    Easy to get to from the by pass as well.
    When going up to the mountains, do NOT take the sign posted route but drive up past Pinos Genil, Dudar, Quentar, Tocon de Quentar, the GR3201. Slow going but stunning. Up to Quentar nice resturants too.

Eat here - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...Andalucia.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Nope, no authentic flamenco tourist performance I am afraid. You would need to go into the interior for that.

Granada; avoid the cathedral or albaicin barrios. El realejo is the imo most pleasant barrio close to the centre.

Seville centre has gone tourist trap. Around the Plaza El Salvador week nights is still a popular student hang out. The area around (south-west) of the Plaza de España is also still nice. A must see by the way that monument. Pleasant park too.

If you are driving from Seville to Granada, stop for lunch in either Antequera (Arte de Tapas) or Archidona (Arxiduna Plaza Ochavada).

Enjoy your trip!!
    Seems my information is out of date, appreciate the correction.

For those who want to check out what real Flamenco sounds like, then go here http://www.canalsur.es/radio/directo...layer_flamenco

FlamencoRadio.com plays Cante Jondo 24 hours a day. You know you're beginning to get the hang of it when you can clap in the right right places in the right rhythm!
    Last edited by Incredible Sulk; 21st September 2019 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    For those who want to check out what real Flamenco sounds like, then check out http://www.canalsur.es/radio/directo...layer_flamenco

FlamencoRadio.com plays Cante Jondo 24 hours a day. You know you're beginning to get the hang of it when you can clap in the right right places in the right rhythm!
    Appreciated

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    For those who want to check out what real Flamenco sounds like, then go here http://www.canalsur.es/radio/directo...layer_flamenco

For the aficionados; there´s an annual event in Casabermeja; that´s some 20 minutes above Málaga: http://www.casabermeja.es/7347/festival-de-cante-grande Quite worthwhile.

Over here in the valley there are two clans that occasionally perform. Especially in Rosario.
    The ´cante jondo´ is a dialect distorcion of ´cante hondo´; ´hondo´ meaning deep as in profound, heavy. It is. Pfff. Most of it is rather an acquired taste. After nearly 20 years still appreciate only the lighter end of it. Flamenco Rock is more to my liking; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znLFgtkrGzU