closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone with knowledge of Bordeaux?

Anyone with knowledge of Bordeaux?

I’ve got a boys trip to Bordeaux this weekend and the weather is going to be 25-30degs C. With that in mind, what is the general dress code for bars and clubs. In that heat, I’m hoping shorts/shirt and trainers are OK.

I know there’s a few student type bars around so I’m hoping for a relaxed ‘vibe’!!

Master
    If you like Steak and chips - L'Entrecote, two up from the tourist office, and just down from the Opera, it is a must - you have to queue, (cannot reserve a table), but it is worth it and they can seat plenty anyway - it's not expensive

4 cours du 30 Juillet, 33000, Bordeaux - in what's called The Golden Triangle

we lived there for a few years, in BDX not the restaurant!!

shorts and shirt - not sure about the trainers!!
    Last edited by BillN; 16th September 2019 at 17:36.

Master
    I’ve just spent a couple of nights there as my son is starting his Uni year abroad there. It’s a stunning city. Shorts and shirt would be fine, the bars and restaurants are really great and extremely busy - fantastic atmosphere. Loads of lovely places to eat. Whatever street, road or alley you go down seems to have bars and restaurants all the way down and at the end. Noticed there were loads of ‘Brit’ pubs.

I booked last minute and struggled with accommodation. The Hilton was fully booked, then a room came free and I stayed there. About a mile out the main bit and the area is under redevelopment but there seemed to be a few clubs down there. No idea what they were like.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    If you like Steak and chips - L'Entrecote, two up from the tourist office, and just down from the Opera, it is a must - you have to queue, (cannot reserve a table), but it is worth it and they can seat plenty anyway - it's not expensive

100% agree....great food great experience there’s a reason why there’s a queue full of French....

Wine museum is also excellent and some great restaurant choices along river nearby

Thanks for your replies. Really looking forward to it now and thanks for the tips.

Master
    The Trams have really buggered up parking - it was alway bad anyway - so if you have a car there are a few areas around the City were you can leave the car and catch a tram - easy to rent a Bike in the centre - it is hot today and I think it is getting a little hotter at the weekend, (I'm 60 kms from BDX today).

The Bus service is not bad but "they" always seem to be digging BDX up - have been for 30 years.
    The ring road, (the Rocade), can be a nightmare
    Last edited by BillN; 18th September 2019 at 14:10.

No car, and I think our hotel is pretty central so will probably be walking everywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    No car, and I think our hotel is pretty central so will probably be walking everywhere.
    Rent a Bike then and cycle along to River to the new bridge - it's wide & paved all the way, shops etc., in the old "hangers"

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Well you were right about the queue!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

The French and their food!!!!

Hope you got in and enjoyed the food and the experience just fantastic, we stayed at the Continental directly opposite which was fab but the downstairs corner is a Gordon Ramsey which was empty every night, can you imagine working there looking over the road and seeing the queue....

Anyone with knowledge of Bordeaux?

No food worth that queue. Imagine part of the attraction is to be seen to be there or just to say have been there.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 21st September 2019 at 19:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No food worth that queue. Imagine part of the attraction is to be seen to be there or just to say have been there.
    Generation Insta. Would love to own that place..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quite. I remember seeing similar at Ellen’s Stardust Diner in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Quite. I remember seeing similar at Ellen’s Stardust Diner in NYC.
    First McDonald's in London in 1963..

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    First McDonald's in London in 1963..

It isn't, first UK restaurant was 1974, https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/n...m/history.html.

Maybe that's Moscow?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 22nd September 2019 at 11:53.

Not about being seen far from it it mainly locals who love their steak rare and their red slightly warm

Menu is on a small card with 3 choices

You essentially all have the same salad starter with fab dressing and walnuts then onto the main course

A platter of steak and frites served thinly sliced with lashings of beurre and garlic dressing it’s out of this world

Table turn 40-60 minutes heaving every day and reasonably priced.

Can only imagine how much it takes serving approx 700-800 people a day on 4 floor levels