closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai '8 day' movement...

Master

Panerai '8 day' movement...

Not something I would normally do but I thought it would be interesting to see just how long my PAM233 would run for - having heard reports of 10 days.

As at 3.20pm my 8 day manual wind in-house Panerai P2002 went through 10 days - and in those 10 days has lost 22 secs. It'll be interesting to see how much longer it runs and if I'm around what seconds have been lost. That 22 secs includes all states of mainspring tension, and the watch has been worn all of last week, and then spent the weekend face up. The movement is 5 or 6 years old and unserviced.

I do like an 8 day movement, no need for auto rotor weight and wear and no need to be winding every day/few days. Once a week is all that is needed, although I tend to do it more often - when the power reserve shows half.

241 hours and counting.

Might try one of the 3 day movements next - although being auto's I'll not be able to wear it through the test.

I had similar experience when I owned the 233 - just over 10 days of actual reserve.

I can't totally recall what the result was with my 190, I think around 9 and something - but of course a very different movement. I'd run the test again, but the movement for sure needs a service and I just need to sort myself out and get on with it!

Edit - with the 3 day, does it have a PR so you know it's fully winded?

Master
    I have a bit of a soft spot for a manual 8 day movement! In my 590 and 233 I do know they have lasted longer than the 8 days but never timed them fully. Not quite so much the 8 day JLC in the 190, on the couple of occasions I have checked it has just about pushed 8 days and very little more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Edit - with the 3 day, does it have a PR so you know it's fully winded?
    Hi crazyp - hope life is treating you well.

Re 3 day, I'll listen for clutch slip, although on reflection I might need to wait until I can get one out of the safe deposit as the 3 day not in there not has an iron Faraday cage so I might not be able to hear the slipping...

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    I have a bit of a soft spot for a manual 8 day movement! In my 590 and 233 I do know they have lasted longer than the 8 days but never timed them fully. Not quite so much the 8 day JLC in the 190, on the couple of occasions I have checked it has just about pushed 8 days and very little more.
    If I remember correctly, the 190 exhibited much more fluctuations if you let it run down to the 8 day mark. Not so much with the 233. That original in-house movement is rock solid - I reckon probably one of Panerai's best in-house movements, once they got over the initial teething.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Hi crazyp - hope life is treating you well.

Re 3 day, I'll listen for clutch slip, although on reflection I might need to wait until I can get one out of the safe deposit as the 3 day not in there not has an iron Faraday cage so I might not be able to hear the slipping...
    Doing well mate, we should catch up soon over a coffee :)

Lord know's about if you can hear or not. Worst case scenario is wear it for 4/5 days solid to ensure fully wound.

Master
    The power reserve passed away peacefully at 4.08 and 16 seconds this morning.

So just over 10 1/2 days power in all. Certainly keeping time until mid-night, the last time I checked it.

Solid performance. Now time to wind those mainsprings back up...

Master
    Interesting post, I must dig my 346 out of the safe and give it lash.
    We could try for an 8 day movement Olympics.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    These type of threads, alongside the ‘how accurate’ threads, always raise a question in my mind......if such issues really matter, why not switch to a good quartz watch? They do all this stuff so much better.
    I realise there’s a ‘romantic’ element to mechanical movements, but the human ingenuity behind modern, quartz technology, is equally impressive.
    I wear a mechanical watch, but don’t concern myself much with ultimate performance. It’s more than good enough in the real world. Flawed, obsolete, technology, but likeable.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th September 2019 at 09:42.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    These type of threads, alongside the ‘how accurate’ threads, always raise a question in my mind......if such issues really matter, why not switch to a good quartz watch? They do all this stuff so much better.
    I realise there’s a ‘romantic’ element to mechanical movements, but the human ingenuity behind modern, quartz technology, is equally impressive.
    I wear a mechanical watch, but don’t concern myself much with ultimate performance. It’s more than good enough in the real world. Flawed, obsolete, technology, but likeable.
    Yep that romance thing connected to marvels of engineering for me. Like watching Impossible Engineering on Discovery etc - pushing the limits. And something about the fact it's mechanical rather than electronic somehow adds to that - not that quartz is any less in that regard

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Because its fun to monitor movements and their foibles if you like that sort of thing.

I’ve got a radiomir 268 with in house 8 day movement and always found it to be very reliable and accurate.
    I wear it because it looks good, the accuracy is a bonus!

Quite interesting really because I’m sure I only get seven days out of my 590. I’ll have to test it.

I do agree that it’s a lot more convenient than the three day movement in my 425.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The panerai 8 day movement is technically a 10 day movement which they marketed as 8 day. I was told this when i went to the manufacture tour in Neufchâtel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I’ve got a radiomir 268 with in house 8 day movement and always found it to be very reliable and accurate.
    I wear it because it looks good, the accuracy is a bonus!
    Totally agree David.

I’ve a 609 with the same movement. I know it ran for more than a week but I don’t know by how much, never checked it.

When I wear mine now I still give it a wind daily- force of habit with any of my handwound watches regardless of power reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I did a comparison test once of 4 different p2000 movements in various guises and seem to remember they all hasted between 10.5 and just over 11 days

Master
    Just completed the test on my PAM389 3 day, which came out at 3 days, 8 hrs, 45 mins and 45 secs i.e. 80 hrs and 45 mins. It was still accurate 5 mins before stopping.

So 8 day movement runs for extra 30%

And 3 days runs for extra 12%

OCD behaviour now over and back to normal MO.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk