closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shanghai- what to see / what to buy ?

Blog Entries

Shanghai- what to see / what to buy ?

I have a work trip to Shanghai coming up.

I’ll have an extra day at the end before my flight home.

I'm hoping to get out & explore & take some street pics.

Is there anything worth buying (i.e. a bargain compared to UK) while I’m there ?

TIA

z

I’ve only been once. I was based in the French Concession area; plenty to see at street level, older ‘east meets west’ buildings from colonial times, cafés, street food etc.

Master
    The old French concession is certainly worth a visit as is the Bund. There is an old pre-war Hotel on the Bund, sorry forgotten the name, that has an open air bar on its roof where you can get ice cold pints of draft Tsingtao and sit watching the river traffic. A few streets back from the Bund there used to be some small streets full of workers cafe's and restaurants, no one spoke English and the only way to order was to point at what someone else was eating and hope for the best.

On the Pudong side of the river the Ritz-Carlton has a bar, Fliar I think, that has great views across the City, especially at night.

Nothing worth buying in Shanghai, unless you want to search out the "replica" market which I think is still situated at the Science Museum (its underground and next to where you get off the metro).

Official branded goods are very expensive in China compared to UK, best value is the Tsingtao beer at a Seven Eleven store, cans are about 30p!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1 View Post
    Nothing worth buying in Shanghai, unless you want to search out the "replica" market which I think is still situated at the Science Museum (its underground and next to where you get off the metro).

Official branded goods are very expensive in China compared to UK, best value is the Tsingtao beer at a Seven Eleven store, cans are about 30p!
    Been a lot of years but agree with the above^ however if you do visit the “ homage” market you could get that Rolex you want without waiting in the AD queue but they keep the papers
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    The Bird / Insect market in the French Concession is pretty interesting to walk around.
    Dongtai Lu Antiques market is also great to wonder about. Although I doubt the authenticity of the "antiques"... :)
    M50 / 50 Moganshan Road art district is good if you like wandering around galleries / studios. Think more east London than the V&A.
    Huxinting Tea House looks great, but it's a very touristy area and overpriced, also be weary of pickpockets.
    If you're looking to pick up a new misses, you could head to People's Square for the Matchmaking / wife market.

Lunch / dinner at M on the Bund. Great food (classic French cuisine), and there's an amazing view over the river facing Pudong.