closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Back in the club - Questar Telescope

Back in the club - Questar Telescope

Sold my earlier telescope to a fellow forum member 2 years ago to raise funds for another purchase and always knew I would need to replace my “loss” at some point.

The Questar dates it history back to the 60’s and is a grail for most astronomers. Apart from a few modern tweaks over the decades it has physically changed very little.

It is rather expensive for its 3.5” aperture but is held in high regard by all professionals and rightly so.

They normally sell mainly in the USA as this is where the company is based, so trying to find a UK based model is extremely rare. Via eBay I had a saved search without success for the past 12 months, and just by luck and on a whim searched once again just as the extremely rare 50th Anniversary model was listed (only 250 made), the all singing, bells and whistles model made in celebration of their 50 years of excellence.

After a long winded, touch and go negotiated deal, I am now the proud owner of an icon.

Back at last!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Nice little scope, I did see one of these for sale somewhere and I can’t for the life of me remember where, I think it was a local auction, I didn’t realise they were so rare.

I prefer refractors and currently have a Televuve 85 that I inherited, I used to have a Takahashi FS-102 that I regret selling as the views of planets were just amazing, I’m on the waiting list for an Astrophysics but you have to have more patience than waiting for a Daytona as it’s about 9 years.

That is a fantastic looking thing.

I was looking at Questar 3.5'' on eBay just last week having learned of Stanley Kubrick's and Arthur C. Clarke's discussion on them prior to 2001.

Brilliant news, well done

Superb quality, a classic design and so easy to set up and get going. This has clocked up a fair few more miles now, just this weekend I enjoyed a tranquil hour or so looking in detail at the glorious full moon. Hopefully we'll have a fair few more clear and mild evenings over the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Brilliant news, well done

Superb quality, a classic design and so easy to set up and get going. This has clocked up a fair few more miles now, just this weekend I enjoyed a tranquil hour or so looking in detail at the glorious full moon. Hopefully we'll have a fair few more clear and mild evenings over the next few months.

Good to see the old girl is getting a regular dusting. So happy to have another. They are just such beautiful instruments and a pleasure to use. Moon looking particularly good at the moment. Shame planets are a bit too low for me at the moment (bloody trees).

Back in the club - Questar Telescope

Quick setup for the partial eclipse today before the clouds rolled in!

Last edited by Chinnock; 10th June 2021 at 11:49.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman
    Nice pics, wished I had remembered to view it.

Master
    How many Brandon's did you get with it?

I bought a 16mm for my dob, to go Horsehead hunting.

Saw it fleetingly.

Since then I have gotten an 8mm Ethos - same field of view, at twice the magnification as the Brandon.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    How many Brandon's did you get with it?

I bought a 16mm for my dob, to go Horsehead hunting.

Saw it fleetingly.

Since then I have gotten an 8mm Ethos - same field of view, at twice the magnification as the Brandon.

Rob.
    16mm and 24mm (both marked 50th Anniversary which is a nice touch).

TBH light pollution where I live in town doesn't help me with the best of viewing, but I enjoy the time spent peeking at the stars, planets, moon etc regardless.