closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: smart watch question question

Master

smart watch question question

Never owned one or anything like it, so after some advice.
    A couple of months ago I had a tumor removed from my adrenal gland, ( well they actually removed the gland as well ), this was giving me very high heart rate and fluctuating blood pressure, all is good so far.
    What I'd like to do is somehow keep an eye on both my blood pressure and heart rate without always visiting the nurse etc. do any of these smart watches accurately monitor both of these.
    I know there's nothing more accurate than a visit to the nurse, but I'd just like to monitor it and be alerted if it's not quite right.
    Hopefully that makes sense

They almost all monitor heart rate, don't know that any look at blood pressure. Easy enough to get a home blood pressure monitor and keep an eye on it. (I got diagnosed with hypertension recently and am monitoring my blood pressure twice a day with one.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

The Apple Watch is great for monitoring heart rate. I have an app called Heartwatch installed on mine which provides tracking through the day. I can see what my average, low, peak and waking heart rates are. Since I have a series 4 I can also perform an ECG on demand. The Apple Watch is also by far the most popular smart watch.

Blood pressure is a different matter. The only smartwatch I’ve found on Google is the Omron HeartGuide. It doesn’t appear to be on sale at the moment. It has a built-in bladder which inflates to measure your blood pressure.

Master
    I do have one of the cuff type monitors that I will use for a week at a time if I think things aren't right, just wondered if the watch performed this function.
    I have an i-phone so I suppose the apple watch would fit in nicely

Master
    Not aware of a combined unit.
    Withings do a bpm that is wireless and I believe can be set to take regular readings but they are still the cuff type.

https://www.livescience.com/46818-wi...or-review.html

I had a series 1 Apple Watch and found the fitness / hrm poor, though they have improved dramatically.

If you’re interested in sports or fitness or even just 24/7 hrm I’d look to garmin.

Easy 24/7 graphing of hr on your iPhone

They are also doing some cool stuff with “stress” and have been doing sleep tracking for years and the battery will last more than a couple of days...

I use a vivosport unit on my right wrist as a hrm but it also has gps so I can track outdoor sports too.
    Have a look on dc rainmakers website for more info on all things fitness / smart watch related.

Blog Entries
    Fitbit 3 for heart rate, sleep tracking etc.
    Blood pressure needs a separate tester.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Latest apple watch will monitor HR and give alerts, it will also do an ECG(?) if you are in a covered region (medical compliance etc.)

I wear an Apple Watch s2 most days when I go to the gym. A couple of years ago I developed Atrial Flutter which means one side of your heart beats a lot faster than the other which can cause clots, strokes and all sorts of nastiness. This sent my AW into conniptions, spewing out warnings about a high heart rate while stationary and was directly responsible for a hospital visit to get things under control and subsequent doctors visits for ongoing medication until a simple operation was performed to rectify the issue. I say this with no hyperbole, the Apple watch pretty much saved my life / stopped me suffering the consequences of a stroke.
    When my current AW dies (it shows no signs of doing so yet) I will visit an apple store and buy another one immediately.

Other fitness focused smart watches are available but I'm stuck in the apple ecosystem for my personal tech so...

Blood pressure is kind of the holy grail of wearable tech, along with non intrusive blood sugar level monitoring however there is nothing yet available commercially that I know of.

If you have or suspect any sort of heart related issue - or are even of an age where such things become more likely I'd certainly consider something that monitors your heart in realtime, seconds count when having a cardiac or vascular event so grab any advantage you can.

Journeyman
    No activity tracker will do blood pressure at the moment.. however I have a blood pressure monitor from Omron that takes my heart rate at the time of my blood pressure readings.

But this is a sleeve that goes on your upper arm so is not for continued use throughout the day.

Craftsman
    https://www.withings.com/uk/en/health-monitors

Not combined but seem to be well regarded and might be useful?

Master
    Thanx for all the info etc. now sorted with a series 4 apple watch thanx to a fellow member who was upgrading.