closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris big crown bronze.

Craftsman

Oris big crown bronze.

Hi,
    I have an Oris Big Crown Bronze on order with Jura. It's out this month but Jura won't commit to when. Does anyone know of a more accurate release date?

I grow impatient...

TIA

Martyn

Journeyman
    Your post inspired me to have a ok at this watch. Looks stunning. Will be interesting to see how 35mm looks on the wrist. Hodinkee have quoted July 2018 for availability so hopefully your wait will be both over soon and worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaki Time View Post
    Your post inspired me to have a ok at this watch.
    Me too I think 36mm will look good. Nice to see a dress watch In bronze. Seems a bit expensive tho?
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/or...ze-introducing
    If anyone else is interested.

Journeyman
    It's available (at least to look at - and I believe prices were discussed so I presume to purchase) at the Oris pop-up shop in London, just off Oxford Street.

I took a look at it at the end of May. The guy in the shop was great and we had a good chat.

When it was first announced I was in love with it, and especially being a more classic size than the usual fare.

However, even on my relatively slim 6.5 inch wirst, it looked very effeminate. It's not so much the outright size of the case, but more so the narrow lugs and the considerable taper on the strap. I don't have the measurements but by the buckle it seemed little more than 1cm wide, if any.

Personally I'm always open to smaller sizes, but for me it was just too much. Maybe a strap change would resolve the problem (as I said, I don't have the lug width figure memorized), but for most gents it'll be a push, I'd suspect.

The 40 was surprisingly elegantly sized and took my fancy somewhat more (perhaps you can sense the trend: the pointer date wears small), but I just can't get over the plainness of the movements. It's fair-ish for the price point, but still underwhelms a little in person, especially if you're expecting something on par with, say, a SARB033/35.
    Last edited by Fisi; 8th June 2018 at 23:54.

Craftsman
    You make a good point re the strap, I think its 17mm and tapers to the buckle, I would look to put a straight strap on it anyway, there is also some conversation regarding it having an 18mm lug width so I'm just holding off.

Today I read about a 40mm Oris Big Crown Pointer Date https://www.fratellowatches.com/oris...ter-date-80th/ while during spring I read about a 36mm Oris Big Crown Pointer Date https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/or...ze-introducing

So two identically named watches except for the addition of 80th anniversary for the 40mm version. Is there anyone here who owns the 36mm version and could chime in with their take of the watch? Im considering the 40mm version very much..

So I pulled the trigger and got myself the 80th Anniversary Oris Bronze Pointer Date. I Like it a lot

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    So I pulled the trigger and got myself the 80th Anniversary Oris Bronze Pointer Date. I Like it a lot

Nice pick up. I have been looking at these. How does it wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Nice pick up. I have been looking at these. How does it wear?
    Its my xmas present, so wont wear it until then, but ask me in early Jan :)

Journeyman
    Today I read about a 40mm Oris Big Crown Pointer Date https://www.fratellowatches.com/oris...ter-date-80th/ while during spring I read about a 36mm Oris Big Crown Pointer Date https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/or...ze-introducing

So two identically named watches except for the addition of 80th anniversary for the 40mm version. Is there anyone here who owns the 36mm version and could chime in with their take of the watch? Im considering the 40mm version very much..
    I have the 36mm in stainless steel with the black dial. Although it's called black it looks more of a soft dark brown. The original strap was far too small in length and tapered to much. I fitted it with an after market strap by Di-Modell from watchbandcenter.com The new strap has a 17mm lug width but only tapers down to 16mm. I tried the 40mm on but preferred the more classic look of the 36mm on my 7" wrist. It's probably the most comfortable watch I have and I really like the size. I've ordered another strap from Vintagestraps.it so I can swap them around from time to time.
    Last edited by Robert189598; 6th December 2018 at 00:05.

Journeyman
    Photo of my 36mm on 7 " wrist.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robert189598 View Post

A very nice watch! I too like 36mm, for me the red tipped date hand and the bronze case did it. Will post some pics of how the bronze develops after Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Robert189598 View Post

Thanks for that. Looks spot on.

Journeyman
    A very nice watch! I too like 36mm, for me the red tipped date hand and the bronze case did it. Will post some pics of how the bronze develops after Christmas
    I haven't seen one in the flesh but the green 36 looks more appealing to me than the green on the 40. I quite fancy a bronze as well, but she who must be obeyed would go ballistic if I bought another watch this year, let alone the same watch in a different colour. Looking forward to your photos.
    Last edited by Robert189598; 6th December 2018 at 13:04.

Journeyman
    Entered in error. Sorry.

I got myself the 40mm and its a watch that fits my taste a lot. I love the green and as the case is going to progress to darker shades including green, its going to be better by the day. Needless to say I love the clean dial with the pointer date complication.

Furthermore, Ive added a knife to go with it and it has a horological theme on it as well!

Craftsman
    Sucker for a green watch. Looks very nice

Journeyman
    Looks fantastic. I really like the combination of the green dial and bronze case.

Patina starting to develop

Been a month now

Master
    Stunning watch, always a temptation when I see them in WoS.

Been a month now

Saw one at an AD recently, looked really nice. How has the patina developed now?

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    Saw one at an AD recently, looked really nice. How has the patina developed now?
    Havent worn it since taking that picture, so dont know atm.. however Ive had other bronze pieces before and usually bronze just darkens and become slightly spotted. Will take a pic as soon as it comes to rotation..