closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dan Henry 1962 Racing Chronograph, mini review

Master

Dan Henry 1962 Racing Chronograph, mini review

So the Dan Henry 1962 Racing Chronograph delivered today. Obviously in the company of my Speedy Pro and Sinn 903 St it's a shitter, but let's get past that. I went for blue as I'm not keen on panda sub-dials and fancied the orange on blue to give a pop of colour.

I went with the no-date since that's not the purpose of a chrono IMHO.

On the positive, there was no Customs hassles and it was delivered in just over a week. Under a loupe, fit and finish is excellent with no flaws I could find in printing and perfect brushing, far better than the Seagull 1963 which feels like it fell out a cracker. The seconds sub-dial at six doesn't quite hit the marks but you need a loupe to see it.

Pusher action was firm and precise. On the solid case back is the number from a run of 1962 (mine is 136) and a deeply embossed Maserati race car of the era. The case back has many facets around the edge rather than recesses for pins which makes DIY battery change more awkward.

On the wrist it wears smaller then 39mm. I think that's partly due to the negligible weight but also the thin lugs and 20mm strap (one of two supplied). The strap is hopelessly short, on the last position it was drum-tight on my wrist which I don't regards as freakishly large. Also, the strap is rather thin and tapers to a dainty 16mm. I swapped to a Nato for now, while sourcing a long 20mm Rally style strap.

Legibility is fine while it's light, but the lume is nothing special. Movement is the Sony VK63 which has a somewhat smoother sweep on the chrono and is widely used by the microbrands.

All in all, at around the £230 mark I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. A bit small TBH at 39mm and the strap is a weak point.

Last edited by J J Carter; 14th September 2019 at 21:51.

I have three of Dan Henry’s watches, and none of them can be described as ‘shitters’ in any company. The watches you compare to are five to ten times the price of a typical Dan Henry, hardly a fair comparison.

Is your Seagull 1963 the 'larger' 42mm reissue?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Nice piece, I’d have one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is your Seagull 1963 the 'larger' 42mm reissue?
    Yep. Imported from Long Island Watches

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Yep. Imported from Long Island Watches
    Okay, I did wonder as the minute hand doesn't go right to the edge of the dial in the way my regular size Seagull does,, FWIW this one is a cracking bit of manual wind chronograph .
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Interesting what you say about the strap. I’ve got completely the opposite opinion. I find them too long! Mind you, I have 6.25” wrists. Cinched right up though and they’re really comfortable.

I really like the watch itself too. Again, my small wrists mean the 39mm diameter is pretty much spot-on, so that it’s a watch I can wear all day, without really noticing it.

For £200ish, I don’t think you can go wrong. 4.5/5 for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Straps were a tad long for me as well. But overall I'd give the watch 4.5/5 as well. It's a great size and not as thick as some chrono's making it more wearable with a collar.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I have exactly the model you have reviewed. For me with a 7.25” wrist the strap is fine.

For the price it’s a 8/10 for me. I really like the way it wears small and light, goes well with a smart casual shirt with cuffs

My 3rd Dan Henry, a very good micro brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Given that we've decided to build our own retirement house my dreams of owning a UG Nina are likely to remain just that for some time...

With this in mind I've ordered one of these. Can't go far wrong at the price.

Craftsman
    You really seem to like Chronographs, or is that just 1 watch box out of many?