closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC 2019- picture heavy [emoji4]

SOTC 2019- picture heavy

Well, it's a rare moment when I think my collection is 'complete' enough to share a SOTC. There's always a gap that needs filling before I think the collection looks complete. While there are (of course) other watches I want to get hold of, I think I am quite satisfied with my lot at the moment.

I don't really have a theme per se- I think I'm curating more than anything, where a balanced collection is the goal. Having said that, I think something I am very drawn to in watch design is versatility, and most of the watches I have could be a 'one watch' solution should I ever get fed up and decide one watch is enough.

Here we go:

Chronographs

Rolex Daytona 116520
    For me, the Rolex Daytona was the one I lusted after 6 or so years ago when I first got interested in watches but I constantly baulked at the retail price (when they were readily available). Then they went up in price and I thought I may never end up with one if I waited to get one at retail. Finally, I bit the bullet and got this one from Andrew Cregan of this parish. Love everything about it- this is as dressy as I need and it works in a casual setting as well. I think the internet hyperbole regarding size may be somewhat off the mark as it fits me beautifully, but the legibility COULD be slightly better. Having said that, it's a design icon so wouldn't change anything anyway! This particular watch is an 'APH error dial with chromalight'... whatever the hell that means

Seiko Pogue 6139-6002
    I think this is a very cool watch. It's quite beaten up but this adds to the charm, I think. I get comments when I wear this one. It's bright and bold with an internal bezel, chronograph, day/ date and an interesting space history as well.

Omega Speedmaster ST 145022. 861 movement
    Speaking of space history, all collections need a speedy of course! I have bought and sold so many of these but one always creeps back in, so I've made my peace with it and settled on this rather lovely model from 1983. Nice patina on this one

IWC Portugieser Chronograph Edition 150 Years Ref. 3716
    I happen to really like IWC and plan on adding more to my collection. This one is the limited edition model that celebrated 150 years of the company. The main differences are the lacquered dial and in-house movement with see through caseback. Perfect watch for the office.

Sport/ Dive

Rolex Submariner 16800
    For me, this is the perfect submariner and the phrase 'tool watch' makes sense when I wear it. I like having a date, and I LOVE the open six and nine font. I also can't be doing with non quick- set dates so this 16800 is ideal. Having dipped my toe in the vintage watch world I've decided I prefer more modern stuff and this is all the vintage Rolex I will ever need.

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Dualmatic 1738170
    A recent acquisition, this one. May be ideal for a summer watch with the internal dive bezel and gmt functionality. A little bit different to the norm and a stunning watch when seen in person- these are bargains in my opinion and I'm hoping to add the bracelet and leather soon.

Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    4500V/110A-B128
    Remember I mentioned versatility? I can't stress enough how good these watches are. I gifted this to myself when I reached a career goal and I can't fathom why they aren't more popular. The bracelet (with micro adjust) and two straps are works of art, the dial is probably the nicest I've seen and the fact it's not too flashy, is handmade and is wrapped up in a Geneva seal package with 100m water resistance makes it one of my very favourites. I've owned the Aquanaut and the Royal Oak and do prefer the overseas by some distance.

Pilot

Rolex GMT 16710 Stick dial
    This is probably the watch I wear the most, usually with the Pepsi bezel and jubilee bracelet combo. I bought this watch a few years back when I got a new job with a global remit and needed to keep track of timezones as I travelled. I also take it on holiday all the time. I look at this watch and remember late nights working in the New York office, dinners in Beijing and lounging on the beach with a cocktail :) this particular model is a stick dial with 3186 movement (full set too, I'll have you know ). I've also bought all the inserts and bracelets so it's like 12 watches in one... Basically, it's perfect.

Zenith Cronometro Tipo CP 2
    Another recent one, I got this to fill the Zenith shaped hole in my collection and I'm over the moon with it. Ergonomically the best watch I've owned as the wearability completely contradicts the notional size of 43mm and 52mm lug to lug, and I really like the twin register chronograph and the fabled el primero sweep.

Sinn 104 St Sa A G
    I made a mistake selling my regular Sinn 104 a few years back so decided to right that wrong. This particular watch is a limited edition of 500 and actually has an olive green dial that is hard to photograph. It is dazzling in the light and almost black otherwise. I'm a fan of Sinn and like having the green dial in my collection. The countdown bezel is also a nice touch, and something I use quite often.

Dress

Omega Geneve
    In reality, I don't wear dress watches at all, but I received this when my dad passed away. He got it for his 21st birthday so I'm glad to keep hold of it and do think it's a beautiful looking thing. If I'm ever in a dinner jacket then I wear this, and I wore it on my wedding day, but otherwise it doesn't see much action.

Quartz

Tissot PRC 200
    After too many years of DKNY, Police and other 'fashion' brands () this was the first proper watch I bought. I agonised over spending what was a lot of money on just a watch but never looked back. I liked the aesthetics then and I like them now. Cool watch with a dynamic look. Keep meaning to get the bracelet which I think will see it get worn more often.

Tag Heuer 4000
    My dad wore this watch every day for as long as I can recall - I remember being fascinated as a kid and always pestered him to try it on! He'd swim in the sea with it, he went to Iraq with it and he'd wear it to posh dinners as well. It's got a great history, you don't see many about and it is obviously a keeper.

Citizen Nighthawk Eco-Drive BJ7000-52E
    Bought on a slightly drunken whim from Amazon I think. I like the slide rule and GMT function as well as the eco drive... a proper grab and go- I wear it when I wash the car or go to the gym, but also often set my other watches to it

Casio Calculator
    When I got married my brother bought me this as a 'joke' present because he remembered that when we were kids in the nineties I spent a lot of time leafing through the Argos catalogue and yearning for the coolest watch in there and never quite managed to convince my parents to get me one. I still think it's awesome now so the joke's on him! Never wear it though. Geek chic nowadays

So there we have it. Thought I'd end with the watch that started it all way back when! I'm not finished, of course, as I'd love to add a few others over the years. Am dreaming of a Lange datograph (ha- maybe one day!), a ressence type 3, a Blancpain Bathyscaphe chrono, a Cartier Roadster and... well, the list goes on!

'The lot':

If you got this far- well done- and thank you for reading
    Last edited by Thom4711; 14th September 2019 at 13:13.

That is a very, very fine collection. Nice and diverse, I like it! Begs the question, what next.....?

Thanks for sharing. Love the GMT, currently saving up / waiting for a miracle / market crash so I can get my hands on one. Love how versatile it is with all the bezel options

A really great thread thank you for posting it.
    You have a great and diverse collection.

Yes I think that actually is a complete collection. Unlike many SOTC posts there’s nothing that doesn’t look right and nothing obviously missing. Well done!

The VC is the standout piece for me. Stunning!

Very nice bunch👍

Master
    My eyes! Some stunners there, sir.

Craftsman
    Love the VC Overseas on the strap, that is absolutely stunning.

That’s a hell of a collection in 6 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VC overseas and the omega geneve are the stand outs to me. The VC is really growing on me. Lovely collection though

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Great collection, VC and JLC standouts for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Awesome collection, I like all of them but the Daytona stands out for me.
    I also used to lust for watches I’d looked at in the Argos catalogue too

Craftsman
    The VC on the strap looks great.

Fantastic collection, I think the Zenith and Sinn are my favourites.

Master
    Some lovely watches there.
    Speedy in particular is lovely.

Master
    Very nice Daytona and Zenith are my favourites in this collection. Particularly like that font used in Zenith hour numerals.

Applause,some great pieces there ,don’t think I can pick a winner

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Great collection. The PRC was also my first proper watch and still think it is a looker.

Master
    A really great collection.

Wow! Stunning collection and a great write-up. Not many boxes left un-ticked IMO.
    Love the patina on that Speedy

A

Craftsman
    That is a properly sorted collection, well done.

Master
    Lovely collection, like the patina on the Speedy and the Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wonderful collection, all bases most definitely covered.

Thanks everyone! It's taken a while to get here and I'm now unsure what to do. The last time I was happy with the collection the satisfaction wore off quickly and I sold half of it off!! No desire to move any of these on, though, so i'll probably just enjoy these for a while (famous last words)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    That is a very, very fine collection. Nice and diverse, I like it! Begs the question, what next.....?
    Hah, well I'm not sure. I've got my eye on several mid range watches, but I think I should perhaps hang on and go for a long term target like a Lange or a ressence.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Love the GMT, currently saving up / waiting for a miracle / market crash so I can get my hands on one. Love how versatile it is with all the bezel options
    It truly is the one watch solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Collector View Post
    Awesome collection, I like all of them but the Daytona stands out for me.
    I also used to lust for watches I’d looked at in the Argos catalogue too
    As Bill Bailey says: "the laminated book of dreams"!!

Craftsman
    Great collection, I'd honestly struggle to decide which one to put on in the morning!

Craftsman
    Excellent collection, truly some discerning and well considered choices.

Journeyman
    Great collection, the patina on the speedy is lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wow. Just lovely. My favourites are the IWC, the Sub and the VC.

Craftsman
    Stunning SOTC.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lovely collection, and many that I'd happily find a home for in my own collection. Great work

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fabulous collection and write up. As I was reading about each watch I was thinking there’s going to be a Blancpain or Lange included. That’s definitely your next addition, as you stated.

The VC and that Daytona are just amazing

The Pogue brought back fond memories of my mate who wore one in 1971 when we were at school together

Thanks for posting

Master
    Very nice Thom, what a great collection. It must be difficult deciding which one to wear as they're all so nice. Please if you ever move on that lovely JLC.....my favourite of the bunch, give me a shout
    Catch up soon mate.

Very very fine collection there Thom.
    Thanks for sharing.

Best
    Mark

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Master
    That's a really nice collection. Varied including some real classics. Thanks for sharing.

Different, interesting and varied collection there - thanks for sharing. Love the Tag story / history.

On the VC, how difficult was it to decide on blue over black, and do you think you made the right decision?

Craftsman
    Awesome SOTC. VC on the blue strap looks outstanding!

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Fabulous collection and write up. As I was reading about each watch I was thinking there’s going to be a Blancpain or Lange included. That’s definitely your next addition, as you stated.

The VC and that Daytona are just amazing

The Pogue brought back fond memories of my mate who wore one in 1971 when we were at school together

Thanks for posting
    Cheers Geoff- a Blancpain has actually hovered into view thanks to this SOTC! The Lange might be a pipe dream as they cost roughly what my first flat did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Very nice Thom, what a great collection. It must be difficult deciding which one to wear as they're all so nice. Please if you ever move on that lovely JLC.....my favourite of the bunch, give me a shout
    Catch up soon mate.
    Cheers Paul! See you soon hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    Very very fine collection there Thom.
    Thanks for sharing.

Best
    Mark

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mark, hope to catch up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely collection, and many that I'd happily find a home for in my own collection. Great work
    Humbled, Tony, thank you. I've noticed over the years that our collection philosophies and taste in watches share some similarities. Shame the photography doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Different, interesting and varied collection there - thanks for sharing. Love the Tag story / history.

On the VC, how difficult was it to decide on blue over black, and do you think you made the right decision?
    I was set on the blue from the beginning because I wanted a blue dialed watch and this is pretty much as good as I could get. But I saw the black in the AD and it is REALLY nice- the dial is like ink or something- I'd have happily bought it, but the fact I already had quite a few black dials just about made my mind up.

Master
    Nice collection. The overseas might be the next watch I buy, other than that the 16800 and the Speedy look to be particularly good examples.

Master
    A superb collection - as some others have said it really opened my eyes to the Overseas.

Pleased to see the CP-2 in there: I've also got one and wear it more than anything else at the moment.

Master
    Lovely collection there Thom wear in good health

Journeyman
    Very nice collection, I love the Vacheron Overseas. Looks great on a rubber strap.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk