closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulova Precisionist Diver

Journeyman

Bulova Precisionist Diver

Hi

I came across this watch and wondered what we know of it -okay it is quartz but seems to offer 10sec/annum accuracy?

L-K
    Last edited by Low-Key; 13th September 2019 at 20:07. Reason: Correction

Master

Bulova Precisionist Diver

The precisionist is an interesting movement. Instead of running at 32hz they run at 256hz (rough numbers) which increases accuracy. Also the second hand moves in 16 steps per second (a normal 28800 vph auto runs at 4 iirc) so it has the smoothest second hand this side of a spring drive.
    Cases and styling can be challenging but there are some nice ones if you look hard enough.

Oh biggest downside other than some of the designs is that they eat batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Low-Key View Post
    Hi

I came across this watch and wondered what we know of it -okay it is quartz but seems to offer 10sec/annum accuracy?

L-K
    Have a Bulova with the precisionist movement, and it's accurate almost to the point of being annoying! The second hand is something else though, great to see.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have a Lunar with the Precisionist and the accuracy is truly insane. Battery life is 2 years, which I find acceptable. It never needs to be adjusted between battery changes.

Master

Big thumbs up for Bulova Precisionist

My Bulova Precisionist is superb.

Bulova Precisionist styling varies hugely across the range, but some are very handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The second hand is something else though, great to see.
    ^ this. The Precisionist second hand is something special. It’s wonderfully mesmerising

Journeyman

Info appreciated

Hi

Thank you all for your thoughts/replies.

Julian 2002 - some designs eat batteries - given a divers piece so a practical watch, how much we looking at for a battery change/reseal/re-test every 2 years?

L-K

Master
    Yeah roughly 2 years or a bit under for mine.

Is the watch movement particularly large, I read somewhere that the watches are on the large size due to the size of the movement.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Bulova’s website shows watches in the Precisionist range start at 42mm diameter (9.3mm thickness) and upwards in size. There are many larger watches in the range, but I don’t know the size of the movement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is the watch movement particularly large, I read somewhere that the watches are on the large size due to the size of the movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Bulova’s website shows watches in the Precisionist range start at 42mm diameter (9.3mm thickness) and upwards in size. There are many larger watches in the range, but I don’t know the size of the movement.
    Don't take this as gospel but I seem to recall someone either here or on WUS showing a picture of the their Precisionist movement: It was tiny!

I was reminded of my rufty-looking Traser diver. It looks all macho until you open it up and find it's got a tiny little Ronda 715 inside. ;-)

I might have the wrong watch movement in mind, a while back I was interested in the Bulova 'Moon watch chronograph' but decided that it's too big, I recall someone saying that Bulova couldn't make it smaller due to the size of the movement, so perhaps I'm getting them mixed up.

Master
    I have this en route.

It is large, thick, fugly with carbon dial, red accents, gold plating, knobs and crap all over it.. on top of polished PVD. And rubber strap.

But..

It has genial double function button at 8.

And gliding hand.

We shall see how it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    I have this en route.

It is large, thick, fugly with carbon dial, red accents, gold plating, knobs and crap all over it.. on top of polished PVD. And rubber strap.

But..

It has genial double function button at 8.

And gliding hand.

We shall see how it will be.

Looks way better than most G-shocks

Blog Entries
    I might have the wrong watch movement in mind, a while back I was interested in the Bulova 'Moon watch chronograph' but decided that it's too big, I recall someone saying that Bulova couldn't make it smaller due to the size of the movement
    You could perfectly well be right. My memory of the movement being small is vague.

** edit **

Ah no, I remembered correctly.

Here is the thread on WUS that I was thinking of: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/in...t-2570858.html

From https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/in...l#post22284874 on WUS by Tom-HK:
    One of the things I had heard was that the watches needed to be big because of the size of the battery. This clearly isn't the case, as the movement is surrounded by seas of plastic. In very tiny lettering, the word 'Japan' is included on this outer part of the movement.
    Follow the link to WUS to see a strip down of the movement.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th September 2019 at 00:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    The precisionist is an interesting movement. Instead of running at 32hz they run at 256hz (rough numbers) which increases accuracy. Also the second hand moves in 16 steps per second (a normal 28800 vph auto runs at 4 iirc) so it has the smoothest second hand this side of a spring drive.
    Cases and styling can be challenging but there are some nice ones if you look hard enough.

Oh biggest downside other than some of the designs is that they eat batteries.

Just a point of information, the crystal oscillators in these run at 262khz as opposed to 32khz.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    You could perfectly well be right. My memory of the movement being small is vague.

** edit **

Ah no, I remembered correctly.

Here is the thread on WUS that I was thinking of: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/in...t-2570858.html

From https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/in...l#post22284874 on WUS by Tom-HK:

Follow the link to WUS to see a strip down of the movement.

Thank you for posting . It's the first time I have seen the movement , very interesting .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Just a point of information, the crystal oscillators in these run at 262khz as opposed to 32khz.
    Yes sorry, being a programmer 256k = 2^18 = 262,144 and my brain slipped into old habits. You are indeed correct.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Yes sorry, being a programmer 256k = 2^18 = 262,144 and my brain slipped into old habits. You are indeed correct.
    I had to look at it twice. I used to work at Marconi's in the 70s on digital test equipment and frequency counters.

I might have the wrong watch movement in mind, a while back I was interested in the Bulova 'Moon watch chronograph' but decided that it's too big, I recall someone saying that Bulova couldn't make it smaller due to the size of the movement, so perhaps I'm getting them mixed up.
    The moon watch mov:
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...WRQVicVSeiBY36

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Thanks, that's somewhat different.