closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Q-Timex ̶B̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶6̶.̶1̶0̶.̶1̶9̶ Sold out in 1 Hour

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I can understand people getting wound up over the availability or not of a Rolex or a Patek, but to get wound up over a bloody cheap looking Timex worth bugger all money is a bit sad to say the least.

It reminds me of the rather stroppy old ladies who almost killed other old ladies and their dear little granddaughters when there was an acute shortage of Cabbage Patch Dolls in 1983.

I can vividly remember the TV snip of a department store manager shaking his head in disbelief saying, have these people no dignity.
    Why? If people like something and there's a limited supply what's the price point or branding got to do with it?

I've owned the original vintage version and it really was a lovely thing.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 31st October 2019 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post

Can you show us an "after" photo in a few weeks' time please?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Yep. Here's one I also bought that will also fit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mens-...72.m2749.l2649

It is a flexi expandable bracelet so it will also be a mare to resize. However, youtube has some great videos on how to adjust these bracelets.
    Ha ha. What a coincidence. I bought the exact same from the same seller as soon as my Timex arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    Ha ha. What a coincidence. I bought the exact same from the same seller as soon as my Timex arrived.
    Have you fitted it yet? If so can we see a pic please?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Have you fitted it yet? If so can we see a pic please?
    still in the post; I'll post pics when it arrives and I've installed it. I'm hoping it'll work out as intended.

Master
    I got mine today. I must say it’s a very handsome beastie, sits well on the wrist, and I really like it. For me it’s a good size as well.

BUT, and it’s a big but, the movement is simply atrocious.
    I know it’s a cheap quartz, but the day/date adjustment feels so flimsy it’s almost certainly gonna break, the crown positions are an absolute lottery, and it’s impossible to get the minute hand to land where you want it to.

Ok, it’s cheap, ok it should be accurate so shouldn’t need adjusting that much, but given it’s a day-date it’ll need adjusting fairly frequently. On that basis I may well be sending it back. It’s definitely the cheapest feeling quartz movement I’ve ever encountered.

It's a shame because the case finishing is actually really good, and the aesthetics and dimensions are spot on imo. I even like the bracelet, although it's a lot harder to adjust than you'd think (maybe that will ease up over time though).
    Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 1st November 2019 at 13:08.

Grand Master
    Not sure it's been asked.......which is the better watch?.

Timex or Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Not sure it's been asked.......which is the better watch?.

Timex or Rolex.
    Has to be the Timex, it removes unwanted hair from your arms.

Can your Rolex do this...

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    BUT, and it’s a big but, the movement is simply atrocious.
    I know it’s a cheap quartz, but the day/date adjustment feels so flimsy it’s almost certainly gonna break, the crown positions are an absolute lottery, and it’s impossible to get the minute hand to land where you want it to.

Ok, it’s cheap, ok it should be accurate so shouldn’t need adjusting that much, but given it’s a day-date it’ll need adjusting fairly frequently.

I even like the bracelet, although it's a lot harder to adjust than you'd think (maybe that will ease up over time though).
    I think you should send it back, the minute hand placement is fine on mine, so it sounds as if yours does have a problem.
    The date setting seems good on mine too, and although the day is not quick set you should only ever have to alter that after a battery change, the date itself only on non 31 day months, so I see no problem there.
    There is definitely a knack required to adjust the strap, it can seem almost impossible to lock the clasp back into place, but if you wiggle it half a millimetre or so it'll press back down fairly easily. It must be something to do with the grooves between links.
    But I would have an issue with your minute hand problem, returning it could be a good idea.

Master
    Thanks, good to know. I’ll send it back and hopefully get a replacement.

If that were working better I think it’d be a keeper.

Craftsman
    Use a screwdriver to pop the bracelet insert, slide to where you want and click it. Works fine.

Day setting is a pain, but date is ok. Got mine yesterday, and the day was set to Friday, so ended up doing lot of windings, but should e need to do anymore.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    To be honest, reading some of the comments on here from people who have them, I'm beginning to think I wasn't too unlucky not getting one!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

For $95.00 U.S., I'm tempted to give this bad boy a ride!

...or I might consider THIS 40mm chrono for $159.00 U.S.:

Last edited by pacifichrono; 2nd November 2019 at 02:02.

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Got mine delivered today.

38mm doesnt strike as small. Normally don't like fake patina, but love it on this. Bracelet sized to perfect fit. May get hair pulling when putting it on, but once worn, don't see any. And the weight(lessness) is refreshing after wearing heavier watches.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Looks good! Might have to get one. (The hair looks like mine, too! )

IMG_4827.JPG

Don’t know if this will work from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

IMG_4827.JPG

Don’t know if this will work from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yep. Looks good.

Journeyman
    Really wanted to like it and off the wrist it looks great, just too small on mine - heading back

Craftsman
    Looks like the bubble's burst for eBay scalpers. There are a couple being advertised for RRP (£159)

Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Looks like the bubble's burst for eBay scalpers. There are a couple being advertised for RRP (£159)
    People were listing these for £250 to £300 at one point, feel sorry for anyone who panicked and bought at those prices. Timex don't have bubbles, just silent farts 😂

Just got one of these - I think it’s fine for the price. Yes it’s a Timex but not sure why some people are giving a watch that costs less than many half-decent straps such a hard time? (There’s an old Chinese proverb which says that a watch strap alone cannot tell the time.) Anyway, they’re all sold out again now so you can always pay over the top for one on eBay if you really want to...😜😀

I think Timex have pulled off a masterstroke with this watch. It's visually similar to a Tudor or Rolex Pepsi to attract some people and it's been hyped to death on watch fora. I don't get drawn in by the hype anymore so will be passing. I've even passed on a Tudor Pepsi, I guess it's a sign of age.

Master
    Someones got one with an oil filled mod up for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Timex...D/264521898619

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

I saw that. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I saw that. Why?
    For looks. It seems like an experimental mod.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    For looks. It seems like an experimental mod.
    Thanks, yes it does. It just seems that there's a problem in waiting come battery change time, which the seller alludes to in his listing. My inner engineer also wonders about the resistance the oil will place on the movent of the hands, I struggle to see how this won't reduce battery life and probably put a strain on the whole drive train. I must admit though, it does look very cool.
    I wonder if the builder is a member here, he must take far more than a passing interest in watches to have achieved this modification.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 7th November 2019 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Thanks, yes it does. It just seems that there's a problem in waiting come battery change time, which the seller alludes to in his listing. My inner engineer also wonders about the resistance the oil will place on the movent of the hands, I struggle to see how this won't reduce battery life and probably put a strain on the whole drive train. I must admit though, it does look very cool.
    I wonder if the builder is a member here, he must take far more than a passing interest in watches to have achieved this modification.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    I would refer to filling up a £160 Timex watch with Shell unleaded as someone with a sad disposition who deserves no better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

I like it. It's nice someone's experimented. And the seller seems very happy to provide a lot of customer after-care, which is unusual.

Blog Entries
    I like it. It's nice someone's experimented. And the seller seems very happy to provide a lot of customer after-care, which is unusual.
    Yes at only £30 for a battery change as well!

The old phrase "I should cocoa" springs to mind.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 8th November 2019 at 01:41.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    I would refer to filling up a £160 Timex watch with Shell unleaded as someone with a sad disposition who deserves no better.
    Hmmm, grammar aside, I think if you're going to be condescending about something, it's probably a good idea to know something about the topic first.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/liq...2997290-2.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/li...en-654085.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/li...ml#post4769841

Same here, I considered bidding on it. It's clear they know what they are doing. At least they know the difference between Fluorinert and unleaded petrol.

Master
    Interesting mod, and if it improves legibility and also water resistance depth, that's a good thing. However if the crown is pulled out to do the 31-1st month changes, does that potentially allow air to get in or oil to escape?

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Hmmm, grammar aside, I think if you're going to be condescending about something, it's probably a good idea to know something about the topic first.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/liq...2997290-2.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/li...en-654085.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/li...ml#post4769841

Same here, I considered bidding on it. It's clear they know what they are doing. At least they know the difference between Fluorinert and unleaded petrol.
    Thanks for the educational piece but a complete waste of time. Still, whatever floats one’s boat.

Thanks for the educational piece but a complete waste of time. Still, whatever floats one’s boat.
    Most of the needless 'added value' loaded onto the watches we buy on this forum is 'a waste of time'.

Master
    I put mine on a Timex stretch bracelet.
    I think it works really well, and it’s very comfortable on my 6 ¾” wrist

It's just a bit of fun and it really does enhance the dial in my opinion. Plus it can help with a watch's water resistance/depth ratings:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...tch-That-Could

Blog Entries
    So having finally given in and bought one of these, I'm pleasantly surprised by how nice it looks on the wrist. However (we knew there'd be a 'however') I'm not keen on the strap and the buckle type. Anyone changed them yet, and what did you use?

Master
    See two posts up...

It’s a Timex strap. I ordered a watch and scalped the bracelet from it.

(It was much cheaper when I ordered it)
    Timex Men Classic Quartz Watch with LCD Dial Digital Display and Stainless Steel Bracelet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000B545..._cXp-DbWWGSWZP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    See two posts up...

It’s a Timex strap. I ordered a watch and scalped the bracelet from it.

(It was much cheaper when I ordered it)
    Timex Men Classic Quartz Watch with LCD Dial Digital Display and Stainless Steel Bracelet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000B545..._cXp-DbWWGSWZP
    Sorry, did see that one thanks. Not a fan of stretchy bracelets though. Would prefer a bracelet with a standard kind of 3 fold clasp if possible.