closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q-Timex ̶B̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶6̶.̶1̶0̶.̶1̶9̶ Sold out in 1 Hour

Strange? They seem to be available on the Timex USA site?

Grand Master
    Considering those flipped on sc it can't be as nice once on the wrist over how it looks on your PC.

The bracelet and clasp do look a little on the flimsy side. Be interesting to hear from anyone who is delighted with it and intends keeping it. Easy to get caught up in the hype when everyone else is ordering, hence why so many appearing on SC. This also happens with some of Eddie's Sunday afternoon specials.

I got an email from Timex today to say they were available again but when I pressed the link I got the "Oops we seem to have missed something" reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I got an email from Timex today to say they were available again but when I pressed the link I got the "Oops we seem to have missed something" reply.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Me too.
    I think they're toying with us.

Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I think they're toying with us.
    They should make their popular models more available like Rolex does...🙄😊

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    They should make their popular models more available like Rolex does...
    Or Patek.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The bracelet and clasp do look a little on the flimsy side. Be interesting to hear from anyone who is delighted with it and intends keeping it. Easy to get caught up in the hype when everyone else is ordering, hence why so many appearing on SC. This also happens with some of Eddie's Sunday afternoon specials.
    It's all very slimline indeed compared to any modern diver, in fact with a smooth fixed bezel and a different dial it would make a good dress watch!
    It feels very small after wearing my Dawn Grey Turtle, but this impression lasts less than a day. For me this is normal when I'm moving up or down several millimeters in case diameter. The feeling of smallness is perhaps exaggerated by the slimness of the case also, it sits very low compared to other 38mm watches I have recently owned such as a Colt Ocean and Sarb017. As you mentioned the strap looks flimsy, but really isn't, just far slimmer than we are used too these days.
    I'll be keeping mine, probably not forever, but definitely for the foreseeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    It's all very slimline indeed compared to any modern diver, in fact with a smooth fixed bezel and a different dial it would make a good dress watch!
    It feels very small after wearing my Dawn Grey Turtle, but this impression lasts less than a day. For me this is normal when I'm moving up or down several millimeters in case diameter. The feeling of smallness is perhaps exaggerated by the slimness of the case also, it sits very low compared to other 38mm watches I have recently owned such as a Colt Ocean and Sarb017. As you mentioned the strap looks flimsy, but really isn't, just far slimmer than we are used too these days.
    I'll be keeping mine, probably not forever, but definitely for the foreseeable.
    Thanks for this and interesting to see a comparison made against the SARB017 as I am wearing an Alpinist at present. I suppose at the end of the day the Timex isn't a huge amount of money, so no real risk either way and at present the market seems very healthy for these. I suppose if these become mass produced and freely available then the market could change.

I’m sitting staring at my Timex shopping cart trying to decide what to do .

While browsing I came across the Timex Harborside ( sorry American spelling)
    has anyone seen these in person ?

Interesting @ $85. (£66)

Master
    It's all very slimline indeed compared to any modern diver,
    That's because the modern diver is a very bloated chap.

These are going to be so cheap in a few months time, I predict ebay awash with them at £90-100.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

These are going to be so cheap in a few months time, I predict ebay awash with them at £90-100.
    Would be amusing, have to wait and see!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I can understand people getting wound up over the availability or not of a Rolex or a Patek, but to get wound up over a bloody cheap looking Timex worth bugger all money is a bit sad to say the least.

It reminds me of the rather stroppy old ladies who almost killed other old ladies and their dear little granddaughters when there was an acute shortage of Cabbage Patch Dolls in 1983.

I can vividly remember the TV snip of a department store manager shaking his head in disbelief saying, have these people no dignity.

Thanks for this and interesting to see a comparison made against the SARB017 as I am wearing an Alpinist at present. I suppose at the end of the day the Timex isn't a huge amount of money, so no real risk either way and at present the market seems very healthy for these. I suppose if these become mass produced and freely available then the market could change.
    No, not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things. Prices will drop, but there isn't that far for them to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

Happy with that, if I keep and enjoy watch for a year or so and lose a pound or so a week I'll take that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I’m sitting staring at my Timex shopping cart trying to decide what to do .

While browsing I came across the Timex Harborside ( sorry American spelling)
    has anyone seen these in person ?

Interesting @ $85. (£66)
    Not one of these no, but the Allied Coastline divers are very nice at £80+.

I got mine today after ordering 2/3 weeks ago, I rang them as it was taking so Ling and they said they’d been inundated with orders when they sent the back in stock emails and the system didn’t catch up in time, therefore they were honouring the people who ordered before the website caught up.

I’m happy with it for what it is...just don’t expect it to feel like a Rolex et al...

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Would be amusing, have to wait and see!
    Not remotely as amusing as when the Rolex bubble bursts ;-)

Blog Entries
    Not remotely as amusing as when the Rolex bubble bursts ;-)
    When do you anticipate that happening? Just so I know when to offload.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    When do you anticipate that happening? Just so I know when to offload.
    If I had that sort of crystal ball I wouldn't be buying Timex. Remember, it is the destiny of all bubbles to burst.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    If I had that sort of crystal ball I wouldn't be buying Timex. Remember, it is the destiny of all bubbles to burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I can understand people getting wound up over the availability or not of a Rolex or a Patek, but to get wound up over a bloody cheap looking Timex worth bugger all money is a bit sad to say the least.

It reminds me of the rather stroppy old ladies who almost killed other old ladies and their dear little granddaughters when there was an acute shortage of Cabbage Patch Dolls in 1983.

I can vividly remember the TV snip of a department store manager shaking his head in disbelief saying, have these people no dignity.
    Why is one understandable and the other sad? Sounds rather arrogant.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Why is one understandable and the other sad? Sounds rather arrogant.
    If you really need to ask, it ain't worth answering.

If you really need to ask, it ain't worth answering.
    Proves my point.

Master
    Proves my point.
    I suspect your mum tried to buy you a Cabbage Patch Doll and failed and thus you are still bitter about it.

Unfortunately the forum rules forbid an appropriate response.

Master
    Unfortunately the forum rules forbid an appropriate response.
    Well in that case I suppose we are both happy.

Blog Entries

Whether it’s £100 or £10k it’s still a tad annoying if you suspect a shortage of supply is because people are simply buying to flip for a profit. Not the end of the world though, there’s always another toy.

Craftsman
    There's a pretty detailed review of one of these on the Nick Shabazz channel on YouTube. You might think twice about buying one after watching it ... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB19qZ-ZgIY

His remarks about the bracelet are hilarious !

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    There's a pretty detailed review of one of these on the Nick Shabazz channel on YouTube. You might think twice about buying one after watching it ... :-)

Also, LOL at 1:57!

Honestly, his comments are in line with what I would have guessed and I could probably live with all the negatives. I rarely keep the original strap on any watch, except higher-end bracelets. That said, I think the look of the bracelet matches this very well and it's going to be hard to find a better alternative with a similar taper. I'm on a bit of a quartz binge at the moment so I'll probably get one of these, but I'll definitely wait until the initial hype dies down a bit.

As an avid g shock collector, I don’t really ‘get’ cheap quartz analogue watches. A g shock is (usually) cheap and cheerful, and for something made of plastic the attention to detail, quality and design - and ruggedness - are very good. Their quality control seems to be excellent too. But I’m always disappointed with eg Timex, Swatch, even citizen and Seiko at the ‘under £150’ price point whereas Casio produce some truly excellent, even arguably ‘classic’ watches in that price range. I know casio aren’t for everyone but even looking at the pics online, I’m certain this Timex would be a disappointing cheap bit of tat that I’d never wear beyond the first day of ‘new watch’ joy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Also, LOL at 1:57!

Honestly, his comments are in line with what I would have guessed and I could probably live with all the negatives. I rarely keep the original strap on any watch, except higher-end bracelets. That said, I think the look of the bracelet matches this very well and it's going to be hard to find a better alternative with a similar taper. I'm on a bit of a quartz binge at the moment so I'll probably get one of these, but I'll definitely wait until the initial hype dies down a bit.
    Yes, he's right on the positives, casecpolishing etc. I don't quite get what he's saying regarding the strap trapping hair. I have I'd say averagely hairy wrists and haven't noticed a problem, certainly not enough to make me yelp!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    As an avid g shock collector, I don’t really ‘get’ cheap quartz analogue watches. A g shock is (usually) cheap and cheerful, and for something made of plastic the attention to detail, quality and design - and ruggedness - are very good. Their quality control seems to be excellent too. But I’m always disappointed with eg Timex, Swatch, even citizen and Seiko at the ‘under £150’ price point whereas Casio produce some truly excellent, even arguably ‘classic’ watches in that price range. I know casio aren’t for everyone but even looking at the pics online, I’m certain this Timex would be a disappointing cheap bit of tat that I’d never wear beyond the first day of ‘new watch’ joy!

I sort of know what you mean regarding g-shocks. I also have the Gorillaz camo model which was £10 less than the Timex and on paper beats it in every measurable respect. But that's on paper, in reality watches are as much about emotion, history, and other ethereal matters. If function, price, durability etc whilst all laudable were the only measures by which we buy a watch, then yes, g-shocks would be the only watches on earth.
    I'm currently sat in a hotel bar having a beer, wearing the Timex, and it feels perfect. But if I was to walk down the hill to the beach and climb rocky outcrops, go rock pooling, swimming etc I'd want the g-shock on. All down to the day, the activity.
    Cheap tat? Nah.

I've put mine on a vintage bracelet I found on a well known auction site.

It was a mare to adjust (folded links) and is a bit knocked about, but it's very comfortable and suits the vintage feel of the watch (it sort of follows the chamfer on the lugs and is nicely tapered).

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post

It was a mare to adjust (folded links) and is a bit knocked about, but it's very comfortable and suits the vintage feel of the watch (it sort of follows the chamfer on the lugs and is nicely tapered).

That does suit it perfectly, better than the original! Superb find and worth the faff adjusting it.

That does suit it perfectly, better than the original! Superb find and worth the faff adjusting it.

Yep. Here's one I also bought that will also fit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mens-...72.m2749.l2649

It is a flexi expandable bracelet so it will also be a mare to resize. However, youtube has some great videos on how to adjust these bracelets.

It is a flexi expandable bracelet so it will also be a mare to resize. However, youtube has some great videos on how to adjust these bracelets.
    That is cool thanks, think it would definitely be a hair trapper though ;-)

You could try this:

https://amzn.to/2pk2S1B
    Lolz, or just keep with the original strap.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries

That's it, I'm chucking mine in the bin. Even though I like it.

It is a flexi expandable bracelet...
    I tried an expansion band on another watch a while back and it's actually a lot better than I was expecting (with very little hair pulling), so I was thinking along these lines already. That Timex one looks excellent because, aside from being the right OEM, it seems to have an appropriate taper and it also uses the slightly more secure design, similar to the Speidel Twist-O-Flex, where you have to fold the edges over the retaining pins.

I have one I got from watch-band-center.com that has exposed pins (I forget the brand but it seems to be out of production now; I wanted to buy another because it does look really good, but it's not listed anymore). That makes it a lot easier to adjust, but it did pop off once, causing the watch to fall straight on the floor. Interestingly, the pin that failed was not one that I'd removed and reinserted to adjust the length (near the middle), it was one near the end. Fortunately, I noticed right away (it was in a train station) and it was miraculously completely unharmed by the fall. After that incident I don't think I'd ever put a watch costing more than about £200 on any expansion band, but for one like this, especially given that it's relatively small and lightweight, I would definitely give it a go.

I've actually got a Speidel one too, but I haven't tried adjusting it yet. I bought it for a specific watch I was certain it was a perfect match for, but it took so long to arrive from the states that by the time it turned up, I had totally forgotten which watch I was going to put it on!

That's a great review, had me laughing at a few points, especially when he said the further away from this Watch you are the better it is 👍

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

What watches do you have these days RobDad? I know you have given up the pursuit of buying brands like Rolex etc and now buy cheaper stuff.

There's a pretty detailed review of one of these on the Nick Shabazz channel on YouTube.
    Thanks, I enjoyed that. New York accent? And amusing cowl as noted above. Bracelet, day setting and bezel would kill it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    What watches do you have these days RobDad? I know you have given up the pursuit of buying brands like Rolex etc and now buy cheaper stuff.
    I literally have one Seiko - a samurai, an Apple Watch, and about 20 g shocks - mostly frogmen, screwback 5600’s, some of the more recent ‘classic’ reissues. I kind of weaned myself off the expensive stuff as I kept flipping them and the price became too silly for me to do that without frankly feeling guilty about wasting so much money. I’m really surprised to say that I’ve totally lost interest in owning Swiss automatics, and actually prefer more basic fare. I just can’t mentally justify spending £££ on what is - gasp - tbh a total waste of money! Doesn’t mean I don’t like looking at watches etc, I just somehow lost interest in owning them!

Grand Master
    I've got some old Rolex hands and ghost bezel from a 5513 ( none of which are for sale).But I might see how they look on a dog turd.
    Might look like a Rolex but it won't be a Rolex.

Rather like why some have been drawn to the look of this "Timex".........Perhaps!.

Craftsman
    Got mine delivered today.

38mm doesnt strike as small. Normally don't like fake patina, but love it on this. Bracelet sized to perfect fit. May get hair pulling when putting it on, but once worn, don't see any. And the weight(lessness) is refreshing after wearing heavier watches.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That's a great review, had me laughing at a few points, especially when he said the further away from this Watch you are the better it is
    Yes that was funny as ... :-)

I could listen to Nick Shabazz all day long. His main thing is knives, but most of the watch reviews he's done are worth a look.

Craftsman

That is a huge visual improvement - good find !