closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Body Cam recommendations please

Body Cam recommendations please

It's a sad state of affairs but some recent incidents have highlighted the need for a couple of bodycams at school. This over-entitled society in which we live who want the rules applied to everyone but themselves have seen fit to hit back with spurious and serious allegations, the consequences of which they simply don't care about.

Therefore, I'm investigating some fit-for-purpose bodycams that will help support our members of staff dealing with irate and sometimes out-of-control parents/visitors and hopefully stop some of the the unacceptable behaviour in the first place.

Anyone any advice, or experience good or bad please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    It's a sad state of affairs but some recent incidents have highlighted the need for a couple of bodycams at school. This over-entitled society in which we live who want the rules applied to everyone but themselves have seen fit to hit back with spurious and serious allegations, the consequences of which they simply don't care about.

Therefore, I'm investigating some fit-for-purpose bodycams that will help support our members of staff dealing with irate and sometimes out-of-control parents/visitors and hopefully stop some of the the unacceptable behaviour in the first place.

Anyone any advice, or experience good or bad please?
    I can't help with any recommendations re body camera's but as i work part time in a school i understand your problems.

One thing to consider is the location you use them in school in relation to GDPR.

We have a fabulous internal CCTV system(nearly 80 camera's,yes what is the world coming to) but GDPR did cause us to review the location of some cameras.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I can't help with any recommendations re body camera's but as i work part time in a school i understand your problems.

One thing to consider is the location you use them in school in relation to GDPR.

We have a fabulous internal CCTV system(nearly 80 camera's,yes what is the world coming to) but GDPR did cause us to review the location of some cameras.

Mark
    Interesting, what sorts of locations did you have concerns about? I'm asking because I also deal with a school's CCTV system (and sorry for the thread hijack).

One son told me that they could hack into the school CCTV system. Few years ago now so systems hopefully improved!

I have five fixed cameras outside and three inside, but they don't pick up sound as that's very problematic legally and of course they're usually pointing in the wrong direction if something kicks off.

I'd cover the outside areas if it was my choice, but with budgets they way they are we'll get to the end of the year unable to do basic repairs never mind do enhancements.

That said, body cams are a different function and I'm looking for a deterrent value as well as evidential value.

It's often estranged family members leading-off with each other in front of the kids that's the problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Interesting, what sorts of locations did you have concerns about? I'm asking because I also deal with a school's CCTV system (and sorry for the thread hijack).
    Main areas like toilets but also areas like inclusion/seclusion i.e areas where pupils are sent for being naughty etc.

As GDPR was new we took advice and kept them in these areas but with the toilets we had to adjust them so that privacy wasn't breached(it never was)but first advice we got is that they should be removed(not true and most damage we get is in the toilets)

Also we were first advised that external camera's could not view beyond the boundary line i.e. nearby roads etc...again not true.

As any new legislation it take time to adjust but it isn't that much different than Data Protection.
    Last edited by mjc1216; 13th September 2019 at 11:20.

Toilets? Maybe where a lot of wrong doing might happen but unsurprising there's an issue with that.

Better solution to have single cubicle toilets for everyone with access from a 'public' area as our local school has.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Toilets? Maybe where a lot of wrong doing might happen but unsurprising there's an issue with that.

Better solution to have single cubicle toilets for everyone with access from a 'public' area as our local school has.
    That would work but our local authority wants gender neutral toilets which would be even worse...we haven't the room so it's been ditched for now.

That would work but our local authority wants gender neutral toilets which would be even worse...we haven't the room so it's been ditched for now.
    Why worse? School I know has a bank of boys and a bank of girls toilets off a corridor. They could be assigned anyhow.

Christ on a bike, pandering to what .01 percent of the population, all sense of proportion/ common sense gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Christ on a bike, pandering to what .01 percent of the population, all sense of proportion/ common sense gone.
    He probably (hopefully!) meant unisex.

Main areas like toilets but also areas like inclusion/seclusion i.e areas where pupils are sent for being naughty etc.

As GDPR was new we took advice and kept them in these areas but with the toilets we had to adjust them so that privacy wasn't breached(it never was)but first advice we got is that they should be removed(not true and most damage we get is in the toilets)

Also we were first advised that external camera's could not view beyond the boundary line i.e. nearby roads etc...again not true.

As any new legislation it take time to adjust but it isn't that much different than Data Protection.
    The school I'm familiar with has no cameras in the bogs but they cover all other places.Those that cover non-school areas are masked so that they don't look in neighbouring windows. The quality is pretty good, the police are happy as the high resolution makes their job easier.

Master
    I've got an email from GoPro about refurbished models on their eBay store.

Sorry, can't help with any recommendations but suffice to say what a sorry state of affairs our schools are in.
    Liz, my partner, is a school office manager of nearly 20 yrs and is desperate to leave because she is worried about the increase in violent behaviour from pupils and worse still, parents.
    She's finishing in summer next year from a job she once loved.

Can fully understand. My wife also works in a high school and she also has started to hate it there. Her words, the students have no common sense or manners but their parents are 10 times worse so it’s no surprise that their children have an attitude.

Master
    I sympathise, schools are judged on parent and student voice. I’ve seen schools fail based on student views. The parents who’s kids are ..., well you can imagine. SM hate can spread quick!

However schools mop up most of social care. Staff with very little training are expected to help with all kinds of things from profound SEND needs including trauma, ptsd etc to mental health needs and extremism and knife crime. This said they need to be inclusive and nurturing spaces, building relationships and trust with parents. I don’t see how cctv can be in place whilst achieving this. Doesn’t help, I know, as the reasons why you need them are still there.

Here’s an idea, maybe the powers that be decide what schools are really for. Long gone are the days of schools main purpose bring to educate.

Shame to read this but sign of the times. My son's school in Thailand that he goes to for summer holidays (UK school in normal term) has a policy that if parents misbehave on school premises a condition of not prosecuting them is they apologies in front of everyone at assembly and in front of their own child.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Solo protect do lone worker cams / calling etc.
    GoPro for something a bit more informal.
    Or simply always having pairs of people in dicey situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your thoughts. A sad state of affairs indeed. I think we’re all getting fed up with poor parental behaviour.