closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheap Chinese Tourbillons

Master

Cheap Chinese Tourbillons

These now seem to be coming and a steady stream from successful Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns. Most using Chinese Tourbillon movements (from seagull?) Prices are now way under $1000 and while many, such as the era previously discussed, are utterly hideous, some actually look rather nice, specifically the Lenvino range and Astbury and Kent (although this is approaching serious watch money).

I realize that most here will dismiss them as tat and possibly rightly so but has anyone actually bought one and have any objective opinions about them? Do they last? Are they readily serviceable? Is that Tourbillon mesmerizing enough to warrant spending £700?

Craftsman
    I have the Sea-gull one. It sits there in the watch box as I now wear quartz. But, I wind it every now and then just to watch it in action. Not sure what I would do if there was ever a problem, though.

Master
    Parnis do a range of Tourbillon homages at less than £150. No idea of their accuracy or durability though

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Parnis do a range of Tourbillon homages at less than £150. No idea of their accuracy or durability though
    At 150 you don't get a tourbillon, but a visible balance wheel.

The Seagull tourbillons are good. Timekeeping on mine is stellar.
    No beat error and timekeeping within a couple of seconds.

They are serviceable, although I don't know about parts availability.

Master
    Yes I'm not talking about the open heart / skeleton faux Tourbillons.
    It's good to hear that a couple of people who've taken the plunge don't have bad things to say about them. I have also seen the Waldhoff Tb which is right on the ragged edge of my notion of 'good taste' but it does have a certain charm.

I like the Lenvino.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    At 150 you don't get a tourbillon, but a visible balance wheel.

The Seagull tourbillons are good. Timekeeping on mine is stellar.
    No beat error and timekeeping within a couple of seconds.

They are serviceable, although I don't know about parts availability.
    While not £150 are they not around the £5-600 price range? £1000 for an unknown kickstarter watch seems a bit excessive.

Regarding durability I would be more concerned they are like any Seagull movement, bit of a if its broke throw it away and get another one.

Would make an interesting and inexpensive introduction to the movement though.

Master
    Kopeck and Aesop also make some nice restrained tourbillons. I get a very H. Moser & Cie vibe from them which to my eyes is no bad thing.
    AliExpress seems to be the place for these at the lowest price although they are available on Amazon at almost double.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kopeck is quite nice too.
    Last edited by Caruso; 17th September 2019 at 19:58.

Craftsman
    This is the one I have. Not my YT.

That does look pretty incredible, although I prefer the Kopeck design.

Quote Originally Posted by wadebridge59 View Post
    This is the one I have. Not my YT.

That is a carrousel and not a tourbillon. In general, when the balance-wheel is off centre, it's a carrousel.

The difference between a tourbillon and a carrousel
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...d-a-carrousel/

Here’s my Kemmner tourbillon housing a Sea-gull movement. I’ve had it for about four years and the timekeeping has been perfect in that time. I’m not sure where I’d go now for servicing as Kemmner has called it a day but I’m sure someone out there will be able to handle it. Cost four years ago was about £700 which included an amazing box as well as some chocolates and some rather delicious ham!
    I did plenty of research before buying and the general consensus was that the Sea-gull couldn’t possibly be a real tourbillon at that price. Well it is and all the negative comments were just part of the snobbery that is part of this hobby and enables the Swiss makers to continue to fleece us.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Here’s my Kemmner tourbillon housing a Sea-gull movement. I’ve had it for about four years and the timekeeping has been perfect in that time. I’m not sure where I’d go now for servicing as Kemmner has called it a day but I’m sure someone out there will be able to handle it. Cost four years ago was about £700 which included an amazing box as well as some chocolates and some rather delicious ham!
    I did plenty of research before buying and the general consensus was that the Sea-gull couldn’t possibly be a real tourbillon at that price. Well it is and all the negative comments were just part of the snobbery that is part of this hobby and enables the Swiss makers to continue to fleece us.

So...what's the point of a tourbillon again?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    That is a carrousel and not a tourbillon. In general, when the balance-wheel is off centre, it's a carrousel.
    ]
    Can I say tourbillon carousel? Or is it carousel tourbillon? Sea-gull use tourbillon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    So...what's the point of a tourbillon again?
    To mesmerise you.

Craftsman
    I've been tempted by some over the years but like a lot of things, it turning into an expensive paperweight if it went awry always puts me off.

Master
    Tourbillon and carousel do the same thing via slightly different implementation (to circumvent Breguets patent) the big difference afaik is that a carousel will rotate approximately once per hour and a Tourbillon once per minute.
    All the Chinese movements ‘cages’ that I’ve seen rotate once per minute so I’m calling Tourbillon.

I found this video quite informative.
    Last edited by Caruso; 15th September 2019 at 18:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

The difference between a tourbillon and a carrousel
    Fact: It is a tourbillon, as the video of the watch very clearly shows. This is not a difficult distinction ffs. Even the link you provide completely contradicts your assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Thanks, the Kopeck is nice too.

That does look nice - be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with them. The only thing I would change is to have the brand on the dial rather than the word “Tourbillon”

Master
    Thanks, the Kopeck is nice too.

That is a very nice looking watch apart from "Tourbillon" on the dial.

I've ordered one of these, it worked out at £310 though I expect further customs charges. It will take a few weeks to arrive.

I've ordered one of these, it worked out at £310 though I expect further customs charges.
    I couldn't find that particular variant anywhere, where did you get it? I'll be very interested to hear how it is in reality compared with the photos, which look surprisingly good for what it costs.

As others have mentioned, servicing is a concern, but servicing a Swiss tourbillon would cost more than replacing one of these, making them effectively disposable! There are so many things wrong about that, but hey ho.

Look forward to seeing the photos when it arrives!

This one? https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328709...List_2155667.0

Too big for me at 42mm....

Master
    I've ordered one of these, it worked out at £310 though I expect further customs charges. It will take a few weeks to arrive.
    Surely that is a carousel?

Master
    I was going to order the silver / blue version once our house move is complete in 2 weeks time, I may put this off until yours arrives now. Would really like to know your thoughts on this in the flesh when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Look forward to seeing the photos when it arrives!
    +1 and hearing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I couldn't find that particular variant anywhere, where did you get it? I'll be very interested to hear how it is in reality compared with the photos, which look surprisingly good for what it costs.

As others have mentioned, servicing is a concern, but servicing a Swiss tourbillon would cost more than replacing one of these, making them effectively disposable! There are so many things wrong about that, but hey ho.
    I ordered it from Aliexpress. It's only during the ordering process that you pick the colour combo.

I will do a review when it arrives. Regarding the servicing, I agree at this price it is effectively disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Surely that is a carousel?
    This poor quality video may help.
    https://youtu.be/32-PgjsBMPA

To me it looks as though the mechanism is rotating itself, rather than relying on a separate power train, which would make it a tourbillon. There is a brief view through the glass caseback. Not easy to see on this video, what do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    This poor quality video may help.
    https://youtu.be/32-PgjsBMPA

To me it looks as though the mechanism is rotating itself, rather than relying on a separate power train, which would make it a tourbillon. There is a brief view through the glass caseback. Not easy to see on this video, what do you reckon?
    It's a carousel that has a separate power supply for rotation - tourbillion do not.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    It's a carousel that has a separate power supply for rotation - tourbillion do not.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Agreed, I think that’s what I wrote. Maybe my grammar is even less clear than the video :).

Master
    looking at the blurry kopeck video I seem to be able to see (when the back is shown) the stationary 'cog' that signifies a tourbillon. I could of course be wrong but that's how it looks to me.
    I found this video explaining the difference.

Either way it's a bit of haute holrology at seiko prices.

It arrived today - just under 2 weeks which is not bad and I didn't get hit with import charges.

Here's my review:
    I like it because it's quite restrained compared to many other cheap tourbillons. The case is 42mm wide excluding the crown, and 13mm thick. It's fair to say it doesn't slip discretely under the cuff, although the black dial helps minimise the visual heft. The Tourbillon aperture is 14mm so you get a good view of it. The balance wheel is in the centre of rotation, unlike the Seagull tourbillon. I think it lacks some visual impact because of that. The hands are slightly offset towards 12 o'clock but it's not too distracting. Quality of the case finish isn't brilliant and the crystal lacks AR coating. It also has a display back. The movement has some different coloured components, but is generally not decorated. Movement winding and setting feel is good but it ticks very loudly - as loud as a pocket watch. It came with 2 straps - black and brown and a deployant clasp.

I can't see it getting that much wrist time to be honest but it's an interesting curio.

I have two Chinese tourbillons. A Jintuofei (looks like Sea-Gull movement, but is not)...

And a Jiusko, which runs a Hangzhou tourbillon...

I don't wear either of them every day, but I do wear both, and both keep good daily-wear time. Right now, I'd say top of the line for Chinese (PRC) tourbillons is Peacock (Liaoning) or Beijing--but these two are still very entertaining pieces and I'm pleased with both.

Here's my videos...

Jintuofei

Jiusko

Thanks for posting the updates, good to hear your thoughts.

Master
    Thanks for the review it’s good to see that they are decent. Now do I or don’t I?

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaTime View Post
    I have two Chinese tourbillons. A Jintuofei (looks like Sea-Gull movement, but is not)...

And a Jiusko, which runs a Hangzhou tourbillon....
    I like the Jintuofei, but the Jiusko is a bit busy for my liking.