closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice from the jewellers - plat ring work

Master

Advice from the jewellers - plat ring work

I know there are a few jeweller amongst us, so I’m looking for a little advice please.

My wife’s platinum engagement ring has become a little misshapen and rather thin on the underside. It a little out of balance too, so tends to spin. I don’t think it necessarily needs re-sizing.

What are my options and likely costs to have it built back up a bit to thicken the metal and get it nice and round again?

I’m a little wary of high street jewellers, and my wife is very nervous about sending the ring away. It’s not a mega-valuable ring, but obviously is important to us being an engagement ring.

Master
    Odd problem... platinum doesn't really wear away, it's never supposed to lose any of its density.
    Rings can slightly change shape over time, becoming more finger shaped really instead of perfectly round, but otherwise it should have the same build depth it had when it was manufactured.

You can't add metal to platinum, it's much better to melt it down and recast the ring if it needs a bit of tidying up, is it plain or diamond set?

Master
    Thank Kev. I wonder if it could have stretched a little then - doubtful based on what you’ve said. Certainly it looks thinner than we recall. It is diamond set and sits next to a palladium wedding ring.