closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend a london watchmaker

Recommend a london watchmaker

Please can somone recommend a central London watchmaker. I need a bezel fitted on a Speedmaster, hopefully they can do it while I wait.

Cheers

Master
    ALSAL Watches, 226 Strand.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Thanks

Master
    You could just go into one of the OB with an onsite watchmaker. They have always been excellent when I've dropped in for small jobs or adjustments and may just do it for you.

I once used this guy who came highly recommended in vintage Rolex circles

https://www.russelltalerman.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    'Butchers' IMHO please avoid. Strap change on my Muhle Glashutte 'Marinus' resulted in a totally botched job on the 5 o'clock lug. I'd taken the watch to several places included WOS in Threadneedle St, with on-site trained watchmaker, but refused hands-down to try and release the 'double head' screwed lug bars.! Off to the Strand and see what Alsal could do. No problem they said, leave it with us for 2 hours, thanks I replied. When I picked the watch up, I was so happy that my watch was now sporting a lovely blocky OEM Muhle SS bracelet. Then I got home, (this was a couple of days before X-mas) and wore my new aquisition for a day or two. Then contemplating my navel I looked over the watch and discovered an apalling refurb on the 5 o'clock lug. It looked like someone had taken an angle-grinder to it. IMHO, they had trouble with releasing the 'Loc-Tite' threaded bars and scratched the lug, so, rather than leave it for me to pick up in that state they tried to 'unoticibally' return the watch to it's original finish. This was pretty unethical in my opinion, but I didn't need the hassle this would obviously bring with the to-in & fro-ing to resolve something that in reallity would need a new case-band.
    I even gave the elderly lady (mother?) who took my watch in, a bunch of flowers when I picked the watch up.
    I subsequently lost any love for the watch & sold it with this issue to the buyer who was happy, but at a loss to me of around £400 IIRC.

Had very good service from Steven Hale Watch Restoration (http://www.shwr.co.uk/). Not massively cheap but they do a good job.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I once used this guy who came highly recommended in vintage Rolex circles

https://www.russelltalerman.com/
    I have used Russell Talerman a few times, always had good service, they aren't averse to walk-in's either in my experience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    'Butchers' IMHO please avoid. Strap change on my Muhle Glashutte 'Marinus' resulted in a totally botched job on the 5 o'clock lug. I'd taken the watch to several places included WOS in Threadneedle St, with on-site trained watchmaker, but refused hands-down to try and release the 'double head' screwed lug bars.! Off to the Strand and see what Alsal could do. No problem they said, leave it with us for 2 hours, thanks I replied. When I picked the watch up, I was so happy that my watch was now sporting a lovely blocky OEM Muhle SS bracelet. Then I got home, (this was a couple of days before X-mas) and wore my new aquisition for a day or two. Then contemplating my navel I looked over the watch and discovered an apalling refurb on the 5 o'clock lug. It looked like someone had taken an angle-grinder to it. IMHO, they had trouble with releasing the 'Loc-Tite' threaded bars and scratched the lug, so, rather than leave it for me to pick up in that state they tried to 'unoticibally' return the watch to it's original finish. This was pretty unethical in my opinion, but I didn't need the hassle this would obviously bring with the to-in & fro-ing to resolve something that in reallity would need a new case-band.
    I even gave the elderly lady (mother?) who took my watch in, a bunch of flowers when I picked the watch up.
    I subsequently lost any love for the watch & sold it with this issue to the buyer who was happy, but at a loss to me of around £400 IIRC.

I have been taking my watches to ALSAL for about 10 years now and have never, ever had an issue with any of the work that has been carried out by them and would carry on recommending them to anyone.

Master
    Fair enough, & glad your experiences have been good. I, personally would never use them again from my perspective.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Tic Toc Man

Tic Toc Watch repair in 32/33 Hatton Garden are reasonably priced and experienced.
    www.tictocman.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoT View Post
    I have used Russell Talerman a few times, always had good service, they aren't averse to walk-in's either in my experience.
    Presumably as long as you aren't wearing a balaclava?

Master
    I’ve dealt with both and wouldn’t hesitate to trust Alsal or TicTocMan with the bezel change.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue75 View Post
    Tic Toc Watch repair in 32/33 Hatton Garden are reasonably priced and experienced.
    www.tictocman.com
    I second that. Have used them for various service/repair jobs over the years, very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app