closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Camera/Camcorder advise

Master

Camera/Camcorder advise

Hi All,

My son is heading off to University next week and he is studying film and TV production. It’s always been his passion and I want to encourage him in anyway I can. He has a basic/cheap 4K camcorder that he has been using at college for the last couple of years and has been fine but need upgrading I think.

I would like to get him a going away present of a decent camera/camcorder that will do decent stills but more importantly decent 4k video. I have literally no experience in this area at all so have no idea what to look for or what constitutes ‘decent’. As with most things I know you can spend thousands, which I dont really want to do, but also as with most things there must be a balance (just no idea where it is.....). So in terms of budget no idea really.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest the best course of action would be to hold off a while until he gets helpful real-world advice from lecturers/support staff on his course as to the sort of device that would be the most useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    I'd suggest the best course of action would be to hold off a while until he gets helpful real-world advice from lecturers/support staff on his course as to the sort of device that would be the most useful.

Just what I was about to type.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Pretty much the above advice. I imagine you will find the course will have its own equipment anyway. But there has been a move to using mirrorless cameras for movie making outside of big budget productions from what I have seen.

Master
    Your all probably right, just wanted to get him an nice going away present. Christmas will have to do

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Your all probably right, just wanted to get him an nice going away present. Christmas will have to do
    Do you not have a MY19 Golf R handy?

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Do you not have a MY19 Golf R handy?

M
    I wouldn’t have any son of mine in a crap box like that!!

Black Friday

Id sit back and get feedback from him as to what his friends and lecturers are using. The "all the gear and no idea" brigade will be there of course, but that never lasts.

Black Friday is in my opinion the best time to buy anything of this nature as John Lewis price match everything and have a huge selection of equipment.

Good luck to the lad - I hope he enjoys it all.

Why not get him a really nice camera/laptop back pack, he’ll appreciate the thought and have something he will use everyday.

The advice to hold off for now is good, but if you can’t resist spending some money, then a Blackmagic camera, there are a few, is currently well thought of for video, or if you want decent stills too, a Panasonic GH5 is the one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Why not get him a really nice camera/laptop back pack, he’ll appreciate the thought and have something he will use everyday.
    I think this is a good idea! I will get him a nice bag/backpack for his college stuff and laptop etc.

Thanks all!