closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMG GT or 911 GTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    In my experience the big HP AMG's are owned by people who like noise and presence. Having driven a C63, it sounded great but the drive was fraught with the sense of disaster and a 911 GTS would eat it on a decent road with a decent driver in the seat.

Other opinions are available.
    A C63 has little in common with a GT, the GT is a floor up car, not a merc that has been to Halfords, and when it comes to shoot outs, I’d take the GT, and if I wanted to go properly fast it’s a Noble or 720s

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    A C63 has little in common with a GT, the GT is a floor up car, not a merc that has been to Halfords, and when it comes to shoot outs, I’d take the GT, and if I wanted to go properly fast it’s a Noble or 720s
    The OP has not expressed an interest in either.

Shoot outs?

The motoring press seem to generally like the GT but agree the 911 GTS is the purer sports car.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th September 2019 at 22:22.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'd generally go Porsche, but wouldn't personally choose either of these.

Journeyman
    Don't like the looks nor the interior of the GTR, looks and feels very cheap/plasticy.

Big fan of G Wagons but can't think of where/when I would use one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Neither are great cars. Try a Nissan GTR - loved mine. But what do I know? With a budget just above yours I recently bought a G Wagen.
    Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Out of budget!

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Equally surprised there’s been no mention of Aston Martin?

Journeyman
    Unfortunately the 540C is also slightly out of budget, cheapest one in the UK is 89k.

Also there are some scare stories of them not being the most reliable and unpleasant dealers on the Facebook owners group. Glad you've had a good experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    We’ve got a 540C and 991 Turbo S in the family.

As an everyday car the McLaren 540c is perfectly usable if you can live with the attention which is generally positive but significant. The only unreliability I’ve experienced is occasional but irritating gremlins in the user interface.

911 is the other way around, flawless all-round reliability, less attention but what you do get is less positive.

GT we didn’t buy because it didn’t impress on a test drive - I found the power delivery unrefined and the rear end snappy, which didn’t appeal.

911 - I think it will hold it's value better too.

Master

AMG GT or 911 GTS?

The Mercedes AMG GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lomax99; 13th September 2019 at 18:25.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When you are spending this amount, go with you heart. Not your head, nor the forum pundits here.

When you are spending this amount, go with you heart. Not your head, nor the forum pundits here.
    If the OP was in Essex/Herts I could give him a run in a GT

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If the OP was in Essex/Herts I could give him a run in a GT
    Indeed. That should persuade him. 911 my arse.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aston - meet in the middle

Master

AMG GT or 911 GTS?

There’s really only one consideration, so you might need a rethink...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ivucfogv5g

Thanks.. I will research better next time :) , I would still rather have owned a porsche than a merc, better to tell the grandkids.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    There may be loads of Mercs about but very few AMG GT’s.
    It’s far FAR rarer than a 911.
    Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I think I've seen one AMG GT in the wild. I've seen at least a couple of 911s.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    Thanks.. I will research better next time :) , I would still rather have owned a porsche than a merc, better to tell the grandkids.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Strange, I take it you don’t know much about cars, but on the off chance, which Porsche do you want to boast to your grandchildren about.

Indeed. That should persuade him. 911 my arse.
    Then take him out in Something properly fast :-)

Then take him out in Something properly fast :-)

What, like a 918, GT2 or a Carrara GT.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    What, like a 918, GT2 or a Carrara GT.
    Noble is quicker than all of those, in fact there is a video on YouTube against a careers Gt

Here it is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kB39z2QAL8Y

And that was with 100 bhp less than it now has
    Last edited by adrianw; 14th September 2019 at 18:12.

Noble is quicker than all of those, in fact there is a video on YouTube against a careers Gt

The last Carrera GT rolled off the line in 2007. So 12 years ago.

It would be interesting to see how a Noble compared with GT2 or the 918 around somewhere like the Ring.

The best AMG GT R Pro run was 7.04 - the GT2 was 6.44 - 20 seconds quicker. The 918 also beat the AMG GT R Pro.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Come on, at least compare apples with apples. It’s not quite the fair comparing a stock car with a car that has had some serious work done. I could easily come back with examples of modified B5 RS4’s that would smoke the Noble.

Come on, at least compare apples with apples. It’s not quite the fair comparing a stock car with a car that has had some serious work done. I could easily come back with examples of modified B5 RS4’s that would smoke the Noble.
    Please do, and the ones that catch fire don’t count

Master
    Please do, and the ones that catch fire don’t count
    Here you go. An S4 beating a Bugatti Chiron. But it’s a nonsense because the Audi has been so heavily modified.
    A standard Noble (forget the M600 because those are ridiculous money) is not going to beat a GT2 or a 918 and you know it.
    https://youtu.be/2_vxTSQhLr4

Worth seeing if you can find this on catch up TV. A good episode and the outcome was with the car I’d buy; if only I was in such a fortunate position to be able to afford either. And to this end, at this level of car buying, you’d be hard pushed to be disappointed buying either.

The problem with either a GT2 or AMG GT-R is that both are out of the OP budget.

However for £80K you can buy a 2013 Turbo S with PDK with less than 30k on the clock. Where as the cheapest AMG GT I could find on Autotrader was over £150k.

Actually the McLaren 12C looks rather good value as these can be bought for less than 80k. The problem however will be getting it serviced.

As a daily driver i think i would be tempted to spend £30k on something like a Golf R and buy something nice for the weekend. Or why not wait until next year and get a new C8 Corvette.

But personally I would simply buy a 991 C2 Porsche and use the money saved for insurance and servicing.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    An AMG GT as a daily sounds like a recipe for a bad back.

Master

AMG GT or 911 GTS?

The problem with either a GT2 or AMG GT-R is that both are out of the OP budget.

However for £80K you can buy a 2013 Turbo S with PDK with less than 30k on the clock. Where as the cheapest AMG GT I could find on Autotrader was over £150k.

Actually the McLaren 12C looks rather good value as these can be bought for less than 80k. The problem however will be getting it serviced.

As a daily driver i think i would be tempted to spend £30k on something like a Golf R and buy something nice for the weekend. Or why not wait until next year and get a new C8 Corvette.

But personally I would simply buy a 991 C2 Porsche and use the money saved for insurance and servicing.
    There are AMG GT’S on autotrader for under 150K. The cheapest one is under 60K.
    Last edited by jaytip; 15th September 2019 at 16:29.

Master
    Has the OP considered a GT4 or something like a Boxster Spyder? Probably ‘purer’ sports cars than the tubbier 911’s.

Master
    Personally if it was my 80k on an attention grabbing sports / GT car which I was planning to use as an every day driver then the list would look like.

1) Lexus LC 500
    2) Lexus LC 500h
    3) Wait for the LC F to materialise and be in budget.
    4) errr.... 911?

The important bit for me out of the requirements is ‘daily driver’. I certainly wouldn’t want the intimate relationship with the AA or green flag that some of the suggestions above would cause if I was using them every day.

The LC is not as backroad focussed but I tend not to take backroads after a tiring day at work.

If I had 80k to spend on a daily I’d probably be able to rustle up a few grand for a track day car. Stripped mk1 mx5?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post

Worth seeing if you can find this on catch up TV. A good episode and the outcome was with the car I’d buy; if only I was in such a fortunate position to be able to afford either. And to this end, at this level of car buying, you’d be hard pushed to be disappointed buying either.

[QUOTE=yumma;5200149]

https://youtu.be/u3Rw5IJJU_0

This video by Shmee was interesting, he dailies the cars and the ones I'm considering are the softer/less track focussed versions so I should be okay.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Has the OP considered a GT4 or something like a Boxster Spyder? Probably ‘purer’ sports cars than the tubbier 911’s.
    The 718 GT4 is my first choice but unlikely to get an allocation, it's very popular!

Journeyman

Don't have space for 2 cars, and I did consider a 911 turbo but 2013 is getting on a bit now, would prefer something more modern. And regarding the standard 911, I'm also thinking about that but the GTS is so much nicer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post
    The 718 GT4 is my first choice but unlikely to get an allocation, it's very popular!

I drive a 981 GTS, and used to own a 911 (997 3.8S). The Cayman is the better sports car, and unless you are some sort of total lunatic, it is way faster than you will ever need for UK roads.

Returns around 27 mpg if you are caning it, 36 mpg on a long run. Does not attract attention, sounds utterly glorious. Perfect, IMO.

Seeing as though other cars have been suggested, what about a Lotus Evora 410? I’ve driven a couple of the older Evoras and the supercharged version is the best car I’ve ever driven!

Blog Entries
    Never considered the Jaguar Ftype ? Used by many as daily drivers ...

I recently got my hands on a 400 Sport version and it's an absolute cracker with Ian Callum design at its best, and never had so many favourable comments, even at Goodwood events, with all that exotica !!

Excellent piece of kit (and it's British !!)

https://imgur.com/a/aPcW7ov

Good luck
    Cheers, Peter
    Last edited by ingenioren; 18th September 2019 at 09:00.

Craftsman
    With 80k in my pocket, I'd have a 997 GT3 all day long. Here's a lovely example for 75k - https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-2007/10000311

10k over your budget would get you into a 991.

These will be remembered as some of the greatest engines made for road cars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    With 80k in my pocket, I'd have a 997 GT3 all day long. Here's a lovely example for 75k - https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-2007/10000311

10k over your budget would get you into a 991.

These will be remembered as some of the greatest engines made for road cars.
    Is a GT3 really a suitable car as a daily driver though?

Journeyman
    Decided to go for the AMG, just need find one I like now!

Craftsman
    What part of the country are you

A very good friend of mine is the used car manager of Mercedes Benz Loughton

Decided to go for the AMG, just need find one I like now!

Well done sir, good choice

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

If I had 80k to spend on a daily I’d probably be able to rustle up a few grand for a track day car.
    I´d spend it on...euh, three imo way more fun road cars. More fun because the two options o the OP and the forum alternatives are silly powered cars on B-roads, the fun roads.

Nothing to add for the OP. Way outside of my perceptions of needs.

Congrats with the choice OP!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I´d spend it on...euh, three imo way more fun road cars. More fun because the two options o the OP and the forum alternatives are silly powered cars on B-roads, the fun roads.

Nothing to add for the OP. Way outside of my perceptions of needs.

Congrats with the choice OP!!!
    Same old, same old. Yawn.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    The firm selling that (911 Virgin) are a really great bunch of guys too. I've had several dealings with them over the years and admire their open and honest way of doing business. Tom is the main man there. No connection to them, just like the way they talk and the quality of their stock is top notch.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Same old, same old. Yawn.
    Yeah, unlike Porschahs.

Bwahahahahaha...

Is a GT3 really a suitable car as a daily driver though?
    I'm sure some people use them that way - I wouldn't (even if I liked 911s).

It's very hard work to drive (you'll end up with a left leg like Chris Hoy's!) and certainly lacking in creature comforts, but people drive Elises every day and I can't see the Porsche being any less usable than those (except for ride quality and size - OK, the Elise is probably a better day to day car in some respects )

M

as your going AMG, they are about a good chunk under 80K

https://www.bramley.com/carsales/det...mium/13803.htm

However at that money for something that's maybe going to get you to much attention for a daily I would be looking at Morgan, Its a BMW engine so should daily well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm sure some people use them that way - I wouldn't (even if I liked 911s).

It's very hard work to drive (you'll end up with a left leg like Chris Hoy's!) and certainly lacking in creature comforts, but people drive Elises every day and I can't see the Porsche being any less usable than those (except for ride quality and size - OK, the Elise is probably a better day to day car in some respects )

M
    GT3, GT4, Boxter Spyder would all get very annoying very quickly as a daily driver. An Elise is a worse daily than those. I used various Elises as a daily driver for 3 of 4 years!*

*when I was in my early 20's. I wouldn't even think about it these days.

Journeyman
    AMG performance seats are a must but looks very good otherwise, thanks!

A Morgan would definitely get more attention, don't think I've ever seen one in the wild
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    as your going AMG, they are about a good chunk under 80K

https://www.bramley.com/carsales/det...mium/13803.htm

However at that money for something that's maybe going to get you to much attention for a daily I would be looking at Morgan, Its a BMW engine so should daily well enough.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yeah, unlike Porschahs.

Bwahahahahaha...
    Nothing to do with Porsche as such, just your misguided crusade for anything worth less than a few shillings. Sorry, paesetas.

AMG performance seats are a must but looks very good otherwise, thanks!

A Morgan would definitely get more attention, don't think I've ever seen one in the wild

I tried the sports seats and ended up going for the standard ones for every day use, the sports ones are more blingy with the shiny bits but the standards one hold better(assuming your not fat)