closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Online watch sellers - how's the pricing work

Master

Online watch sellers - how's the pricing work

ebay = you fix your own price and pay eBay a commission if it sells- is it 10%?

Watchfinders = do they own all their advertised watches and is their mark up 25% and + in some cases?

Chrono24 and the like = advertise on behalf of watch sellers, dealer and private, and take a commission of ??........ add payment security

I ask because I am after a particular watch

On ebay they seem to sell for £4k to say £4.5k

Chrono24 ...... about the same, but not for less and usually more

Watchfinders £5k plus plus

of course it depends on condition - but some dealers seem to give the watch a simple polish, say that it is inspected and serviced (?) and then charge £6k plus for a similar watch that on eBay goes for £4k to £4,5k

OK eBay is "buyer beware" and all that, but a £2k difference is worth at least consideration

It seems to me that a £4k watch once it gets into the hands of a "dealer" who sells online suddenly becomes a £6k+ watch

I know that the best place to buy is "on here" and prices are below what I have mentioned above - but there is not always the watch you want in the "SC" section

(I ask because a jeweller is selling a watch on eBay and I fancy calling him and offering 10% less that the eBay advertised price - after inspection of the watch of course - certainly worth a try)
    Last edited by BillN; 11th September 2019 at 15:11.

Craftsman
    If it were me i'd go and inspect the watch and then just ask for a 10% discount.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ch24 takes 4% off dealers and i think a bit more than that off private sellers.
    IDK what ebay commission is like these days.

eBay is 10% (up to max of £250 I think) plus around 5% for Paypal fees. eBay do often do £1 max selling fee promotions though which is great for people like me. Saved me a few hundred over the last few months.

Steve

I got a big discount from WF by calling and asking them if they could do a better price for someone buying outright rather than someone paying monthly. Remember they are offering interest free credit so that's built into the price. This was on a Bell and Ross though, if it's something more unusual you'll do better than the more mainstream stuff, especially if they've got several in stock. Well worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    WF markup is about 30% of the buy in price on popular pieces.

But can be a lot more for more for slower moving pieces.

Grand Master
    I'd be highly surprised if a watch any dealer buys in is sent for service.Its a great comforter to the potential buyer when told it has been serviced.They will say it has six months guarantee and they hope that six months passes without any comeback,the odd one that might stop and returned,the loss can be swallowed up by all the ones that didn't.
    How can a dealer possibly service every used watch he buys!.Not cost effective to do that,it's easier for Him to cross his fingers until six months passes.Ive had several watches from a dealer I know,all came with "His" service guarantee card,but when I asked for more details about what might have been done I never got anywhere!,and yet every watch I've sent away for service comes with paperwork showing work done,parts renewed.......always.

This with ref to servicing(?)in your post.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 11th September 2019 at 17:24.

Master
    Definitely worth calling Watchfinder or emailing them to negotiate particularly if you aren’t looking for a very sort after piece.

I am PXing something with them at present and one email got the equivalent of 16% off the price of the watch I was looking at and then got that up to nearly 20% off in total with further negotiation made up of their price on mine and discount on theirs.

I would have to agree with P9CLY on this , i have purchased from dealers a couple of times before and I would say its hit and miss if a watchmaker has looked over it !

Just remember OP its only worth what someone/you are/is willing to pay!

Craftsman
    I can’t see anyone has asked yet, but perhaps it would be useful to know what you’re after?

Some brands I wouldn’t touch on eBay, others I’d be more willing to take the risk.

I think there is merit in buying on eBay but for me that comes at a cost. The cost is that to feel at all prepared to do it, I want a very strong knowledge of the watches. I would be comfortable buying Omega of a certain vintage, no problem at all, for example.

I would be less willing to buy a sports Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    I can’t see anyone has asked yet, but perhaps it would be useful to know what you’re after?

Some brands I wouldn’t touch on eBay, others I’d be more willing to take the risk.

I think there is merit in buying on eBay but for me that comes at a cost. The cost is that to feel at all prepared to do it, I want a very strong knowledge of the watches. I would be comfortable buying Omega of a certain vintage, no problem at all, for example.

I would be less willing to buy a sports Rolex.
    a Rolex OP

Craftsman
    I see Rolex as being the riskiest eBay brand. I get the impression that there is a lot more skulduggery that goes on concerning Rolex sales than any other brand and so for me, that makes it a problem.

On the plus side, you’re not after a SS sports model, which are the most in demand and so the most likely, in my view, to attract fraud. Even so - the premium, for me, isn’t buying the fuzziness. It’s buying peace of mind and recourse.

Buying from a dealer means there is a lesser likelihood of it being counterfeit. There is then easier recourse should anything go wrong.

Plus, you put part of the payment on a credit card, double your protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    With ebay remember, if its too good to be true then walk away, do not get tempted.

Even when you see the watch in person and something does not seem as it should then tell the seller, thanks but no thanks.

I have used ebay for nearly 20 years and majority of the time its fine. In recent times I have bought and sold a few watches and I have had no issues but you do get alot of chancers!!!

It might be easier writing all your questions down in order of importance and then when you find what you are looking for you will come across alot more knowledgeable and competent in the eyes of the seller.

Dont necessarily look at the quantity of the feedback. Make sure the seller has accumulated the feedback over a long period of time.....eg a seller with 100 feedbacks over 5 years is far more reliable than a seller with a 150 in 6 months..... Scammers try this trick, normally buying pound items on ebay to build up a account.

No IDs then NO DEAL.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    With ebay remember, if its too good to be true then walk away, do not get tempted.

Even when you see the watch in person and something does not seem as it should then tell the seller, thanks but no thanks.

I have used ebay for nearly 20 years and majority of the time its fine. In recent times I have bought and sold a few watches and I have had no issues but you do get alot of chancers!!!

It might be easier writing all your questions down in order of importance and then when you find what you are looking for you will come across alot more knowledgeable and competent in the eyes of the seller.

Dont necessarily look at the quantity of the feedback. Make sure the seller has accumulated the feedback over a long period of time.....eg a seller with 100 feedbacks over 5 years is far more reliable than a seller with a 150 in 6 months..... Scammers try this trick, normally buying pound items on ebay to build up a account.

No IDs then NO DEAL.

The chancers. Single most irritating thing about eBay.

You have a watch up for eight grand and are abused by someone who thinks, based on nothing, that they want to pay much less. I appreciate that’s ironic but it infuriates me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    The chancers. Single most irritating thing about eBay.

You have a watch up for eight grand and are abused by someone who thinks, based on nothing, that they want to pay much less. I appreciate that’s ironic but it infuriates me.
    I totally agree with you..........recently some guy who I think is a member here....... Via ebay made me go through all the trouble of providing partial serial number........ Front and back of the card........ Extra pics of the watch, in the end he tried to chip me by nearly 20%!!!

I leave room for negotiation but by nearly 20% takes the biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    eBay is 10% (up to max of £250 I think) plus around 5% for Paypal fees. eBay do often do £1 max selling fee promotions though which is great for people like me. Saved me a few hundred over the last few months.

Steve
    I have (really) never had a GBP 1 max selling fee offer from Ebay. Are you a business seller?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    I have (really) never had a GBP 1 max selling fee offer from Ebay. Are you a business seller?
    I have had about three offers in last 6 months(private seller)...the problem being i sell about one item per year now on ebay due to all the chancers.

No, not a business seller but I have been a serial flipper in the past. Collection is much more stable now.