closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Acoustic Guitar

Master

New Acoustic Guitar

Any guitars players on here I'm looking for a bit or advice regarding a new acoustic.

I've been having a browse and not I've decided I need a new one.

I'm looking at MARTIN 000-15M ACOUSTIC. I've read a few reviews and its apparently fantastic.

It's about £ 1300 so do anyone know of anything better for the same money or have an hands on experience with this Martin.

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/martin-000...guitar-natural

Thanks

In my experience acoustic guitars are as different as the trees they are made from. Gotta play them to know what they’re like. Not one like it, even 2 of the same model can be wildly different. You need to play that exact one. YMMV
    Last edited by Groundrush; 10th September 2019 at 22:32.

Martin tend to be very bottom end heavy. I’d always want to compare with a similarly priced Taylor and a Larivee if the opportunity presented itself. I find the Taylors really open up when played for a year. I’ve had three of them and regret getting rid of as they tend to be special.

As mentioned previously, all so different, even the same models.

Personally I would set a budget and go to a really good acoustic emporium to try them all.

Also a very good way to see what size suits.

Different scale lengths sound different too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I’m probably in a minority but I’m quite a fan of synthetic guitars. I have an older Emerald - carbon fibre and very cool but plays and sounds great. Some people say they are soulless compared to an all-wood guitar. I disagree. Similarly I have a very old USA made Ovation Balladeer- spruce top but again plays wonderfully and has a sound that is crisp and tight but still characterful.

Emerald especially have really upped their marketing and are making some stunning looking instruments these days.

Have a look at some of the Furch acoustics. I have a couple that are the early branded Faith models that were made by Furch as limited editions. They are fantastic and sound incredible.

I like the 000-15m all the ones I've played have been good. It's not bottom heavy but a darker tone than any of the spruce top offerings.

Craftsman
    I am on a similar journey at the moment, looking to buy a mid sized acoustic with similar budget to the 15M.

I was in Guildford over the Bank Holiday weekend and auditioned a few in Andertons, including a couple of Martin 000's including a 15M.

As a player with limited ability and even less confidence, I find auditioning guitars in stores quite daunting. I fully agree with those above though that the only way to buy an acoustic guitar is to play the actual guitar you are going to buy. Thankfully, I was able to have the expensive acoustic area of Andertons to myself for a while during my visit.

I didn't find "the one" during this visit, but I now know a few things I don't want in my new guitar.

This included a lovely Gibson Montana L00, which looked and sounded stunning but I didn't like the lacquer on the neck. I liked the way the Martin 000-15M played, but I prefer the sound of the Martins I tried with a Spruce top. I also wasn't taken with the aesthetics of the 15M or the other lower end 000 Martins Andertons had in stock, which all had a matt finish. I found that I don't like a matt finish to the guitar body.

I tried a couple of Taylor's. All had electronics - I don't want any electronics in my acoustic.

There are other models and brands I still want to try.

The search continues...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    In my experience acoustic guitars are as different as the trees they are made from. Gotta play them to know what they’re like. Not one like it, even 2 of the same model can be wildly different. You need to play that exact one. YMMV
    This is truth.
    Had a budget of 1k for an acoustic a few years ago. played at least 20 all big well known names and hit on one i liked, a martin, a small bit over my budget but manageable.
    While the shop were getting the bits and pieces together i was noodling on other cheaper acoustics i was not really considering, and played a tanglewood that was just perfect, it played beautifully, sounded amazing, exactly what i wanted.

It was less than half the price of the martin. Still have it and it actually sounds better as the years have progressed. Has the same pickup in it as the martin, but doesnt matter as i rarely amp up.

One of my best purchases, its never disappointed me.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I’m probably in a minority but I’m quite a fan of synthetic guitars. I have an older Emerald - carbon fibre and very cool but plays and sounds great. Some people say they are soulless compared to an all-wood guitar. I disagree. Similarly I have a very old USA made Ovation Balladeer- spruce top but again plays wonderfully and has a sound that is crisp and tight but still characterful.

Emerald especially have really upped their marketing and are making some stunning looking instruments these days.
    I had an Ovation for a good while.

Pretty nice, but it kept slipping off my lap because of the bowl back.

Had to have a strap on it all the time and it ended up unloved in the corner.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052