closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review of Rolex Submariner 16610

Review of Rolex Submariner 16610

How could you possibly write a “review” of the most iconic watch in the world, the Rolex Submariner? There must be hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of reviews of this watch already. Wouldn’t it be like beating a dead horse?

Probably. But let’s write one anyway.

LINK TO THE REVIEW

It's just a quick, simple writeup with some of my photography. Enjoy... and let me know if you find any mistakes.

Another excellent review. Thank you for posting it.

What do you plan to add next to your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird84 View Post
    Another excellent review. Thank you for posting it.

What do you plan to add next to your collection?
    Thanks man.

I have no Rolex purchases in mind at the moment. I think I'm done. But isn't that what we always say haha.

I actually ordered a Davosa GMT homage just for the kicks. The case looks a lot like 1675/16750 and I can't stomach the current prices of the real things. I want to "test" the looks with the Davosa first.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Thanks man.

I have no Rolex purchases in mind at the moment. I think I'm done. But isn't that what we always say haha.

I actually ordered a Davosa GMT homage just for the kicks. The case looks a lot like 1675/16750 and I can't stomach the current prices of the real things. I want to "test" the looks with the Davosa first.
    Haha! I think we all try and convince ourselves that.

I know what you mean. I’ll keep an eye out for future posts on your website.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thoroughly enjoyed that and the linked 16600 Seadweller review as I own both.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed that and the linked 16600 Seadweller review as I own both.
    Cheers!!!

Thanks a lot man. Appreciated.

Master
    Thanks for posting, plus the other links - really good of you to take the time, always something new to learn - the 16610 is a great watch

Master
    Nice review , then again Im a sub fan so already convinced
    Last edited by higham5; 9th September 2019 at 23:05.

Blog Entries
    Great review, and reminds me why I want one rather than a SubC.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Interesting read. Thanks! Have you thought about doing one on the 16710?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Interesting read. Thanks! Have you thought about doing one on the 16710?
    Oh I've already done a review of the 16710. Check here:

Review of Rolex GMT Master II

PS: Thanks all for the positive comments. Appreciated.

Great work as usual, maybe other watch owners local to you could lend you their watch for the day so you have access to more watches = more reviews.

This wrist shot I really like, I have a 14060 and sometimes while driving I'll look at it and think that just looks perfect, great watches..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Great work as usual, maybe other watch owners local to you could lend you their watch for the day so you have access to more watches = more reviews.
    That'd be great.

But actually I have plenty of my own ex-watches that I have photographed back in the day (like 16613 Sub, Breguet XX Chrono, Seamaster Chrono "Bond", TAG Heuer Link Calibre 36, Aquagraph, etc.) that I could review but I haven't done it yet (because of my work and family takes so much time). I'm not completely happy with some of my old photos though.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Your pic with the caption 5512-14060M shows the uncertified 5513, not the four-line 5512.

Otherwise, VG.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Your pic with the caption 5512-14060M shows the uncertified 5513, not the four-line 5512.

Otherwise, VG.
    Thanks.

Yes I know. That was the only similar photo (with others) from the book and I used it. The text "refs 5512-14060M above the pic" clarify it and that photo just represents the "era". The 1680 white version isn't from the very beginning of the date Sub production, either. I believe the red Sub was the first one?

Thanks.

Yes I know. That was the only similar photo (with others) from the book and I used it. The text "refs 5512-14060M above the pic" clarify it and that photo just represents the "era". The 1680 white version isn't from the very beginning of the date Sub production, either. I believe the red Sub was the first one?
    I think so. The Sub's my favourite Rolex, too.

Oh man, that's just amazing. Too bad these are out of my budget. Beautiful!

Do you have other Rolexes in your collection?

Oh man, that's just amazing. Too bad these are out of my budget. Beautiful!

Do you have other Rolexes in your collection?
    Thank you very much, it's a lovely piece but it hardly gets worn because of the non-quickset date. I've an OP 39 blue dial and a DayDate 36mm. Also these:

P-serial 16610 owned from new. My gateway drug to watches.

Mark I Maxi dial 5513 (1978)

Oddly, both of these have the flat S. Like a reversed Z.

That 5513... wow!!! I love that watch and I want that watch. :o

My previous K-serial was a "Flat S" too... and I had that SWISS ' MADE spacing as well. Similar dial as yours. I sold that (it was a full set) to a friend and bought this new K-serial which DOES NOT have the "Flat S". I wonder why such variation? Maybe Rolex use several different machines to print the dials... hmm.

You are too kind. I'm lucky in that I got both my vintage subs a good few years ago. I thought the prices were pretty nuts back then, but I wouldn't be able to justify buying them at today's prices.

I believe Rolex used to use various different dial suppliers. Don't know when they stopped doing that.
    Last edited by Holsterman; 10th September 2019 at 17:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    You are too kind. I'm lucky in that I got both my vintage subs a good few years ago. I thought the prices were pretty nuts back then, but I wouldn't be able to justify buying them at today's prices.

I believe Rolex used to use various different dial suppliers. Don't know when they stopped doing that.
    Case on your 5513 looks in great nick
    Treat yourself to a mk3 insert for the 1680-its such a nice dial it deserves it.

I'm curious how the 5513 wears compared to the 16610.

I had 14060 and for some strange reason it felt smaller than the cyclops version. Of course the diameter is the same but it felt "flatter" somehow. Does the domed crystal on 5513 "increase" the wrist presence?

I've never tried one on. One of my collagues owns a 1680 white which I've tried... but 5513 is my dream.

I had 14060 and for some strange reason it felt smaller than the cyclops version. Of course the diameter is the same but it felt "flatter" somehow.
    The 14060 is a touch smaller than the 16610, both width and depth-wise (fractions of a mil)... I’m not sure if that difference occurred with the plastic Submariners.

I had 14060 and for some strange reason it felt smaller than the cyclops version. Of course the diameter is the same but it felt "flatter" somehow. Does the domed crystal on 5513 "increase" the wrist presence?

I've never tried one on. One of my collagues owns a 1680 white which I've tried... but 5513 is my dream.
    Something I've never considered. If I have the time, I'll attempt comparable wrist shots tomorrow. Here's a rather shaky Friday thread wrist shot I took a while ago (6.75" wrist). It's my "coolest" sub IMO.

Last edited by Holsterman; 10th September 2019 at 23:01.

Thanks.

Interestingly enough my 16600 also feels smaller and "narrower" than my Sub.

It's thicker and higher and the dial is actually 1mm smaller than on the Sub (because of thicker crystal). The lack of cyclops increases the effect even more.

People say that the Dweller wears bigger but I disagree. Sub wears wider and flatter. Of course the Dweller feels _more substantial_ and heavier - but not bigger, literally. That's why I prefer the Sub on the wrist (although the SD is a real gem and a collector's item).

Last edited by JPE; 10th September 2019 at 23:24.

Master

The 5513(Maxi Dial) will have a bit more presence on the dial than the 14060 due to maxi plots I would think and the super dome looks amazing as you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The 5513(Maxi Dial) will have a bit more presence on the dial than the 14060 due to maxi plots I would think and the super dome looks amazing as you can see.
    I didn't want to hear that. Now I want a 5513 even more. :D

Master

Just to tempt you
    That’s my 1972 one

Thanks.

Interestingly enough my 16600 also feels smaller and "narrower" than my Sub.

It's thicker and higher and the dial is actually 1mm smaller than on the Sub (because of thicker crystal). The lack of cyclops increases the effect even more.
    Yes, I've tried on the 16600 on a few occasions over the years, and tried my hardest to love it back when it was THE one to have, but ultimately it's too thick and top-heavy for my taste, so I never actually picked one up.

Compared with the monstrous crap Rolex have churned out since then, it's actually quite dainty!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

Just to tempt you
    That’s my 1972 one
    Hood, that is an absolute stunner!

Put that away...you’re tempting me...

Craftsman
    Good review of a great watch.

HTH

My very manly 6.75" wrist -

5513 -

16610 -

OP 39 wears the same as a sub -

Weedy 36mm way too small -

Thanks for the photos. That 5513 is just phenomenal.

Thanks for the photos. That 5513 is just phenomenal.
    Thanks again. I spent many months looking for a reasonably good example, patience is key.

Craftsman
    Great review, not long since had my Swiss only A serial 1999 16610. Absolutely love it, feels more special than my SubC LV

How could you possibly write a “review” of the most iconic watch in the world, the Rolex Submariner? There must be hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of reviews of this watch already. Wouldn’t it be like beating a dead horse?

Probably. But let’s write one anyway.

LINK TO THE REVIEW

It's just a quick, simple writeup with some of my photography. Enjoy... and let me know if you find any mistakes.
    Definitely doesn't need a review but still good fun nonetheless

A quick lume shot. I could have done much better if I really put my mind to it but I guess it's ok.

Last edited by JPE; 10th October 2019 at 21:28.

Fantastic reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick lume shot. I could have done much better if I really put my mind to it but I guess it's ok.

Better?! Look great JPE!

I've seen a few pictures of people putting ghosted bezels on 5 digit Rolex's, actually looks pretty cool.

Let's share it here too.

I always thought the no-date version wore smaller and “Tools” from The Rolex Forum confirmed my thoughts. Here is the exact dimension chart of the two.

Craftsman
    JPE: I chatted about this with you on Facebook some time ago related to 16600.

I have now tried all of these and my conclusion is that here is nothing that beats 16610LN/LV with lugholes and SEL in terms of wearability. Now, I haven't measured this, but looks like the thickness over 14060m comes from the caseback bulging out a little bellow the lug level. For me this makes the watch sit perfectly on my wrist because of a high wristbone. Perhaps someone can confirm this?

14060 and 14060M
    Both of these are great, but they lack the substantial feel of the 16610 SEL bracelet. 14060m feels smaller and sits somehow lower, with the lighter bracelet it also feels lighter. This is highly subjective, but the watch seems thinner than 16710 and wears closer to 16700 than anything else.

I have worn one very briefly, so this is not the most accurate description. I would say this is similar to 14060 in terms of wrist presence, but has the acrylic and the vintage vibe and feels a little thicker and a little lighter compared to 14060 which makes it very hard to judge. I think the observed thickness might be because the bulging of the acrylic glass, but since I don't own one and can't measure one, perhaps someone can chime in. I haven't worn a maxi dial, so I can't say about the observed size of that one.

Leaving this out as it is a totally different watch in terms of wearability. I don't own one, and it is likely I will not get one at this moment, but you never know.

Conclusion
    If bracelet is big part of your submariner experience, I'd just stick with 16610 from 2001-2003. For the no date, I'd go with 14060 (or even M) or 5513 depending on your budget and how much vintage feel you want. Keep in mind that, I'm still contemplating whether to get 16600, 14060, 5513 or 116600. In the end 16610 is just too perfect and makes the decision hard.

TL:DR: 16610 ruined submariners for me.
    Last edited by ollipekka; 16th March 2020 at 08:38.

I really miss my 5513. Still pretty happy with this one, though.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    JPE: I chatted about this with you on Facebook some time ago related to 16600.

I have now tried all of these and my conclusion is that here is nothing that beats 16610LN/LV with lugholes and SEL in terms of wearability. Now, I haven't measured this, but looks like the thickness over 14060m comes from the caseback bulging out a little bellow the lug level. For me this makes the watch sit perfectly on my wrist because of a high wristbone. Perhaps someone can confirm this?

14060 and 14060M
    Both of these are great, but they lack the substantial feel of the 16610 SEL bracelet. 14060m feels smaller and sits somehow lower, with the lighter bracelet it also feels lighter. This is highly subjective, but the watch seems thinner than 16710 and wears closer to 16700 than anything else.

I have worn one very briefly, so this is not the most accurate description. I would say this is similar to 14060 in terms of wrist presence, but has the acrylic and the vintage vibe and feels a little thicker and a little lighter compared to 14060 which makes it very hard to judge. I think the observed thickness might be because the bulging of the acrylic glass, but since I don't own one and can't measure one, perhaps someone can chime in. I haven't worn a maxi dial, so I can't say about the observed size of that one.

Leaving this out as it is a totally different watch in terms of wearability. I don't own one, and it is likely I will not get one at this moment, but you never know.

Conclusion
    If bracelet is big part of your submariner experience, I'd just stick with 16610 from 2001-2003. For the no date, I'd go with 14060 (or even M) or 5513 depending on your budget and how much vintage feel you want. Keep in mind that, I'm still contemplating whether to get 16600, 14060, 5513 or 116600. In the end 16610 is just too perfect and makes the decision hard.

TL:DR: 16610 ruined submariners for me.
    Excellent observations. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pseunomis View Post
    I really miss my 5513. Still pretty happy with this one, though.
    That's a stunner! Cheers.

Journeyman
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing again.

I have a 16600 - my first and only Rolex - and love it. I only have slim wrists but it wears perfectly and the extra height is mainly in the case back, which slots into the hollow in my wrist perfectly. (I bought it over a 14060M.)

Would love a Kermit, but the prices are obviously a bit daft.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMango View Post
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing again.

I have a 16600 - my first and only Rolex - and love it. I only have slim wrists but it wears perfectly and the extra height is mainly in the case back, which slots into the hollow in my wrist perfectly. (I bought it over a 14060M.)

Would love a Kermit, but the prices are obviously a bit daft.
    Yes the Kermit prices are absolutely crazy.

Personally I never quite warmed up to them. The maxi dial is nice but the green just isn't my color. Haha.

Master
    Another great review JPE cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Another great review JPE cheers.
    Thanks man. Appreciated.

PS: Here's yet another 16610 vs 116610 video. I kinda liked this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0quLfeuVPp0

New wrist shot. I got lucky with my crappy phone camera this time. :D