closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the Workshop; Fiat 500 project in the shop.

Blog Entries

Tales from the Workshop; Fiat 500 project in the shop.

Last Saturday, a nice red Fiat 500 entered the shop. The owner lives near the German border and he was pointed towards us by a friend who happens to be a happy customer of the shop! Always nice to get a good recommendation.

It's going to be a nice project for the Autumn and first part of the Winter, this 'crusty' Fiat 500. It has rust everywhere. Call it the 'usual places and more'. Nice thing is, that the owner has managed to collect spares over a long period of time. The stack of sheet metal parts is almost bigger than the whole car! The plan is to dismantle the car (engine, g'box and interior are already removed), have it blasted and start working from there. My guess is that a cross-shaped brace inside the car will be a 'must' before the car is off to the media blaster... After blasting, welding and painting, the car will be returned to his owner. He will tackle the rebuild himself. He's simply not a good welder.

It's going to be a little huge job. The car brings a smile on everybody's face.

Later this month, we're expecting the opposite of the little Fiat: an early Corvette!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 9th September 2019 at 20:12.

Blog Entries
    A 500L was my first car at 18, blue out and red inside. Non- syncronised gearbox (needed the “doppietta” to go down a gear) , remember the small vent below the back seat to let engine warmth inside. Great little car, lots of memories.

Master
    A friend of mine has one. Actually he bought two and the second came home in the back of a transit. Take the wheels off and the engine and just put it in!
    Do Fiat not make "heritage" bodies like BMC? Might be more cost effective in the end and may not involve that much more new metal.

Craftsman
    Camber looks off on the rear wheels 🙄

Looking forward to this project!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........