closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tablet Recommendations

Tablet Recommendations

I now have 4 apps which will no longer run on my old IPad Gen 4, due to Apple not providing updates to the IOS, hence a change is required.

So the question is should I continue with Apple (I already have 3 IPads and 2 IPhones which are now obsolete) and simply buy an Apple Air 3 or IPad Gen 7?

Or should I finally bite the bullet and move to an Android, MS, Pixel, etc device?

I will continue to use my IPhone until it dies, but will most likely move to an android phone - (very impressed with my son Oneplus 6 phone).

Thoughts please.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've used a few windows tablets but always go back to Apple. They just work.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a 10" Huawei Mediapad M5 - does everything I want and has excellent display and sound quality too.

https://www.johnlewis.com/huawei-med...phite/p3661111

(I also have a OnePlus 6T )

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a Chromebook that flips into a tablet (ie it's a touchscreen computer that you can fold back the keyboard so that it just works as a tablet) - I love it and everything works seamlessly with my Android phone....but the number of apps available for it (the Chromebook) is quite restricted. I believe this will improve (maybe it already has with more recent versions) but if something like this appeals, I would check the app availablity first)

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

New iPad is the answer. I've been back and forth with tablets and phones and always return to Apple because everything just works!

The iPad is still the market leader. Android tablet support is nowhere near as good. Apple continue to enhance the tablet experience. iOS 13 adds more new features including a permanent widget area on the home screen (if you want it).

Master
    I think budget needs to be mentioned. For the money you can get a much higher spec android tablet vs apple. I've just purchased a 10" tablet off 'the river' and it's very high spec, 8.1, lots of ram etc..... and it was c. £90.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I think budget needs to be mentioned. For the money you can get a much higher spec android tablet vs apple. I've just purchased a 10" tablet off 'the river' and it's very high spec, 8.1, lots of ram etc..... and it was c. £90.
    Spec isn’t everything. I’m sure the iPad will have a faster processor than any Android tablet at that price. Also software is significant better.

Blog Entries
    Android or maybe Chrome.

Longer lifespan, free of the Apple ecosystem, less expensive. Range of manufacturers meaning that prices are kept down and, when you do come to replacement, you are not locked into a particular manufacturer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’m sure the iPad will have a faster processor than any Android tablet at that price
    Other way round, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Other way round, surely.
    From Geekbench:

A12 Bionic
    1110 single / 2858 multi

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

Samsung Exynos 9825 @ 2.0 GHz
    767 single / 2509 multi

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 @ 1.8 GHz
    720 single / 2623 multi

https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks

Master
    My ninety quid 10" android is 1.83GHz/4 core. 2GB RAM, 16GB SD built in.

What apple product do you get for under a hundred quid?

Master
    I pad all the way for me too, they just work and Apple customer service has always been excellent ime.

I'm still using my Google pixel c 6 odd years after I bought it, when it breaks I'll see. The new samsung tab s6 looks interesting, best tech (hardware anyway) .

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by bdkelly72; 9th September 2019 at 09:53.

My ninety quid 10" android is 1.83GHz/4 core. 2GB RAM, 16GB SD built in.

What apple product do you get for under a hundred quid?
    What is the specific processor? I’m struggling to find one with those specs. The closest I found was the Mediatek MT6771 @ 2GHz in the Oppo F7. That has a Geekbench score of 295/1385. That’s a lot less than the iPad processor, going to show processor speed isn’t everything.

Also, how long will you be using it? I have iPads in the house that are in daily use that are 5 years old. Also how long will your tablet have OS updates?
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 9th September 2019 at 10:00.

Master
    How long will you be using it though? I have iPads in the house that are in daily use that are 5 years old. Also how long will your tablet have OS updates?
    Not sure... Long term support for android updates can be an issue (but isn't a lack of apple updates the reason why the OP is posting!) but I have another tablet (7") which is at least 5 years old and still going strong and still runs all the apps I use or need. At £90, if it's out of date after 5 years I'll simply buy another. ;-)

Master
    What is the specific processor? I’m struggling to find one with those specs. The closest I found was the Mediatek MT6771 @ 2GHz in the Oppo F7. That has a Geekbench score of 295/1385.
    Mediatek but it runs the apps I use just fine.

Master
    I'm not an apple expert but a google search and it looks like a 10" apple would be something like £400!!

Not sure... Long term support for android updates can be an issue (but isn't a lack of apple updates the reason why the OP is posting!) but I have another tablet (7") which is at least 5 years old and still going strong and still runs all the apps I use or need. At £90, if it's out of date after 5 years I'll simply buy another. ;-)
    The iPad Gen 4 was released in 2012. It was supported up until iOS 10 which was released in 2016. The most recent iOS 10 update was a month ago. I doubt there’s an Android device that has received an update 7 years after release.

Thomas Reid
    The iPad Gen 4 was released in 2012. It was supported up until iOS 10 which was released in 2016. The most recent iOS 10 update was a month ago. I doubt there’s an Android device that has received an update 7 years after release.
    I use (daily) a Samsung Galaxy Tab S from 2014, which, while not supported by Samsung, has been updated pretty regularly. Admittedly, it is an older (updated) version of Android and I have to build it myself. However, my version is signed by me, and stripped of the Google framework. (Of course updating and building is all automated.)

I also have a Samsung Note 2 from 2012, B&N Nook HD+ from 2012, B&N Nook HD from 2012, and a Samsung Note 8 tablet from 2013, all of which have up to date security patches (but running older versions of Android).

Best wishes,
    Bob

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    I'm still using my Google pixel c 6 odd years after I bought it, when it breaks I'll see. The new samsung tab s6 looks interesting, best tech (hardware anyway) .

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Have you got the keyboard ?
    My Pixel C got the dreaded "half screen of death" about a year ago after I dropped it but I've still got the keyboard (charges from the tablet, magnetic attachment etc).

PM me if interested.

My last IOS update was 10.3.3. Unfortunately LinkedIn, Barclays and few other Apps are no longer support. They do however work on a crappy Android tablet I have.

i did look at a Gen 6 iPad, but according to Apple it will not support IOS 13 which is due in Oct/Nov. The alternative would be a IPad Air Gen 2 or a IPad Pro, but that stupid money for what I use it for.
    Last edited by Andyg; 9th September 2019 at 11:14.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My last IOS update was 10.3.3. Unfortunately LinkedIn, Barclays and few other Apps are no longer support. They do however work on a crappy Android tablet I have.

i did look at a Gen 6 iPad, but according to Apple it will not support IOS 13 which is due in Oct/Nov. The alternative would be a IPad Air Gen 2 or a IPad Pro, but that stupid money for what I use it for.
    That's not correct. The supported iPads for iPadOS 13 are:

iPadOS 13 Compatible iPads

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro
    • 11-inch iPad Pro
    • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
    • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
    • iPad (6th generation)
    • iPad (5th generation)
    • iPad mini (5th generation)
    • iPad mini 4
    • iPad Air (3rd generation)
    • iPad Air 2

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Andy, my old pad runs 9.3.5, and I can use bank apps and LinkedIn, sounds like your problem is not the IOS?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Andy, my old pad runs 9.3.5, and I can use bank apps and LinkedIn, sounds like your problem is not the IOS?
    The LinkedIn app requires iOS 11. The Barclays app will run on iOS 9.3 or later.

The LinkedIn app requires iOS 11. The Barclays app will run on iOS 9.3 or later.
    I am getting a R030 message saying that it needs to be down loaded on to a compatible Apple or Android device.

I suppose i could delete it and try to reinstall. Don't really care about LinkedIn to be honest.

Friedrich Nietzsche

That's not correct. The supported iPads for iPadOS 13 are:

iPadOS 13 Compatible iPads

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro
    • 11-inch iPad Pro
    • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
    • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
    • iPad (6th generation)
    • iPad (5th generation)
    • iPad mini (5th generation)
    • iPad mini 4
    • iPad Air (3rd generation)
    • iPad Air 2

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/
    thanks for this. The info I looked at was wrong. However given it will not be available on my IPad nor on my IPhone 6, I think the time has come to get off Apple products and stop throwing money at them.

Its shame because every Apple device I have still works, but alas unsupported.

Friedrich Nietzsche

According to the Barclays website it should be. However google Barclays App and IOS 10.3.3. - not good!

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    According to the Barclays website it should be. However google Barclays App and IOS 10.3.3. - not good!
    I looked at the App Store and checked on the system requirements for the app.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 9th September 2019 at 22:35.

Craftsman
    iPad for me especially as you’re no longer tied into iTunes if you like your music.

Have you tried Zyprexa, Seroquel or Haldol ?

Craftsman
    I also vote iPad. Tried android tablets, including the nook HD+ and updating with custom roms, which I enjoyed but were ultimately flakey, had a couple of surface devices and a dell tablet but Windows 10 is not really a tablet OS. The iPad is a great, easy to use, well designed hardware and software tablet.

Androids seem to be the devices that you buy for your least favourite child, or if they were ginger
    Last edited by Templogin; 10th September 2019 at 22:53.

Craftsman
    Apple just revealed a new iPad that starts at just £349. Life is too short to mess around with Android.
    Last edited by Benji053; 11th September 2019 at 06:40.

Thomas Reid
    I don't have a laptop. Instead I use my Android tablet and the package/app Termux, coupled with a bluetooth keyboard. It is a terminal application which, more or less, provides a linux system on the tablet. So, I have exactly the same LateX, vim, etc. on the tablet as I have on my desktop. When at home, I generally use the tablet apps for browsing and email, but Termux to ssh into my desktop for heavy lifting.

If you do go the Android route, I highly recommend Termux.

Best wishes,
    Bob