closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking about a JLC Reverso

Thinking about a JLC Reverso

A Reverso has always been a watch that I have admired. However have never pulled the trigger. After watching a recent YouTube clip I think this could quite well be a unique addition to the collection. It has a classic vintage look with the addition of a dual face.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxGotedSsc

Any thoughts from members that own one?

Thanks

Craftsman

Reverso is a very beautiful watch, that you rarely wear due to its formal look.
    Here is my grande taille.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Good idea to try one on first,wrist shape as well as size important

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I haven't owned one but repaired many. They are beautiful watches and look perfect on the wrist. They rarely give problems apart from needing a service every five years or so. Several limited editions have been made, including hand painted scenes on enamel and one or two 'erotic' models.
    Apparently it was originally a 1930s Italian design, asked for by sportsmen who wanted a watch whose glass could be protected whilst playing sports. The design was shelved until the 1970s when JleC acquired it and decided to manufacture it in volume. I guess they have never looked back. There was a clock sized Reverso on the wall at JleC reception in Le Sentier, which I have asked for a dozen times, but no luck so far. Someone far more important than myself will get it probably.
    It's just a beauty, the Reverso. Timeless, practical and unique.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I have a Grande Reverso Duo Date. Lovely watch and has incidentally been served by Brendan.

Wears bigger than you expect in Grande format, very convenient GMT, looks cool in either suit or casual. Wear the white dial for business/daytime and flip to black dial for evening wear.

Very usable, seems to be robust but not great in aqualand.

Very useful tool in the grand scheme of tool watches.
    Last edited by Guycord; 9th September 2019 at 09:30.

Master
    I had the Night/Day (GMT) version on black ostrich. V.beautiful watch (the guilloche face was superb). I wish I still had it but it was different to the usual watches out there. I'd look for pre-owned as I don't think they hold their price. Blowers have a moon that seems a bit cheaper

https://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/...ultre-watches/

I wear the full calendar version and don’t see it as a watch for ‘smart’ attire only. I wear mine a lot, although the date pusher has just given up on me. I love mine and have no plans to part company with it - apart from the repair need of course.

I've been jonesing for a Reverso Classic for years, but I couldn't be doing with Richemont service hassles.

I've fancied the Reverso for many years, but somehow it just doesn't seem to look right on my wrist,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wanted one for ages, then got this Grande Reverso Duodate 986 Ltd Ed.

Love everything about it and it’s pretty versatile, but I don’t wear it anywhere near as often as it deserves. That needs to change.

Very nice indeed

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Master
    The standard night/day wear quite small despite the measurements. Mine is just about big enough not to seem too small, if that makes sense. Nowhere near as large a 40mm sub say.
    I did a post on duodate sizes if you do a search.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=reverso
    I'm still looking for a 986 duodate with the date but it does make them quite a lot more expensive.
    Last edited by DavidL; 9th September 2019 at 15:19.

Master
    I keep looking at these, but

I always ask myself, ?why would I want one? ....... I then say "to wear as a dress watch" .......... I tend to wear my Sub 90% of the time certainly during the day ......... I then think, I'd rather wear a more "vintage" dress watch .....on the odd occasion that we go out in the evening..... so I have a Longines, plus a couple of other 50's and 60's

I then come to the conclusion that I think the Reverse is too expensive and I would probably never wear it

maybe if you have just two watches - one for the day and one for the evening........ the Reverso would be a contender .......but to be honest.......the more I get into watches, and through this forum .......I'd always buy a Rolex Oyster, AirKing or Datejust..

Just my personal view ..... and of course we are all different

Anyone said Reverso?

This is my current Reverso and firm favourite.

I had the larger size before (the 976) and it didn’t quite work but this is spot on for me- I think it’s the grand taille size. My wrist size is about 7 and 3/4”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Wanted one for ages, then got this Grande Reverso Duodate 986 Ltd Ed.

Love everything about it and it’s pretty versatile, but I don’t wear it anywhere near as often as it deserves. That needs to change.

Looks fantastic Howard. If I were to get a Reverso, it would need to be one with a night and day dial - one on each side.

Having tried a few on, they never seem to comfortably fit me sitting across the wrist, and as such I prefer the curved case shape of the Cartier Santos XL

I forgot to add that I wear it with pretty much everything and it works. It’s not ostentatious or flashy so feels great dressed up or in jeans and t-shirt.

A colleague at work has one, which he wears fairly regularly. Given his enviable collection, it speaks a lot to his liking of the watch that it gets the wrist time it does.

Master
    I watched that Bark and Jack video as well. Got me thinking. I have always liked the look of them and tried one on once, very smart. Not a watch I would buy anytime soon but I do think there might be one in my "final" collection.

Craftsman
    The classic watchface one side only.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    This is my current Reverso and firm favourite.

I had the larger size before (the 976) and it didn’t quite work but this is spot on for me- I think it’s the grand taille size. My wrist size is about 7 and 3/4”
    Beautiful watch it is now on my to get list again

Craftsman
    They are nice watches, had mine for about 10 years now. As always you need to factor in service costs. My 8 day GMT below had a recent service at JLC for £750 and contrary to what you might read about quality of servicing all went very well. It's a lot of money but not bad considering the complication and what other brands charge.

Cheers
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    They are nice watches, had mine for about 10 years now. As always you need to factor in service costs. My 8 day GMT below had a recent service at JLC for £750 and contrary to what you might read about quality of servicing all went very well. It's a lot of money but not bad considering the complication and what other brands charge.

Cheers
    Jim
    Hi are these 2 separate watches? Or swappable leather strap deployment?

Craftsman
    Mine is a little older

Craftsman
    You really need to try them on for size - very unique sizing and some of them are monsters with large lug to lug that is tricky if you don’t have flat topped wrists.
    Sizing also has changed in the last couple of years - lots of grande cased models in the same size as the 1931 tribute, older classique size was deprecated out.

I’ve got two - a classique sized latitude (one of only two of their old mid sized that comes with sub seconds):

.. and a duo which is a favourite for travelling - gt sized:

.. wouldn’t not have one. The classique size wears very well for a supposedly small watch..

al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just do it. I doubt you will regret it. They are really quite beguiling and the more time you spend with one, the more the details and proportions will grab you. I bought mine new in 1996 and it has never been serviced or polished but still looks decent and runs at +3 sec / day. Water resistance aside they are really tough, versatile watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatch1 View Post
    Hi are these 2 separate watches? Or swappable leather strap deployment?

Hi, it's the same watch showing both faces, on a bracelet and on a Camille Fournet strap.

Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    The classic watchface one side only.

Ahhhh, Jerry. After that concert we did in now looking at a reverso ultra thin.

The disease continues to spread 😋

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Here is my favourite. 18ct rose gold:

And a couple more hand painted enamel dial models with shutter dials:

Karma Sutra eek !!

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 10th September 2019 at 18:50.

I like a Reverso. One for casual, one for smart.

I have a 90's day and night. I think they are about £7.5K new, I paid about a third of that. It was a steal, but they don't hold their value from new.
    Fabulous watch. I think they're far nicer than anything else for the money (new or used) & my original opinion was "Meh." They definitely grow on you.

Some really nice watches here. I do like the duoface models, effectively two watches in one. However the RRP price and the potential loss in value is holding me back. Having said that some of the prices on chrono24 are not far off retail.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    Some really nice watches here. I do like the duoface models, effectively two watches in one. However the RRP price and the potential loss in value is holding me back. Having said that some of the prices on chrono24 are not far off retail.
    No loss if bought pre owned...at 6-7K in gold are a good value to me!!

Blog Entries
    Grande Date is superb piece. I had this for a while - check the review section for my comments.

Long gone now - but I did enjoy it. Buy second hand if you are worried about depreciation.

Martyn

Journeyman
    I have a steel GranSport with black dial. JLC make fantastic watches and a nice change from the usual choices.

Master
    Nothing hits the spot quite like a Reverso, wearing mine today

Banned
    Just finishing one now. They are gorgeous !

NOTE: No animals were harmed during the repair of this watch.

Master
    They are lovely watches, however you have to go in store and try them on to find the one that suits your wrist. I found that they wore differently to Cartiers an other watches I own, lovely movement on the clear back ones.

Craftsman
    A Reverso has always been a watch that I have admired. However have never pulled the trigger. After watching a recent YouTube clip I think this could quite well be a unique addition to the collection. It has a classic vintage look with the addition of a dual face.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxGotedSsc

Any thoughts from members that own one?

Thanks
    I have one of these, the only difference is mine is the large size rather than medium shown in the video.

I previously had a classic large, single face reverso, which oddly is slightly smaller as well as proportionately quite a bit thinner. On a black alligator strap, it fell in to dress watch category imo.

I replaced it with this as it’s closer to sport watch size, particularly in thickness, which is what I was going for. As mentioned in the video, the brown fagliano strap does a great job of dressing it down and making it much more versatile. I still have a jlc black strap to dress it up too.

The deployant clasp is lovely too and has a clever quick release function which together with the quick release spring bars makes changing straps a simple joy.

Loving the duoface too. The black face on the reverse is more special than I was actually expecting. Very eye catching in the flesh.

Loving mine. I'd agree it's the coolest of the cool😀...

Last edited by D4RW1N; 29th October 2019 at 22:31.

It doesn't wear as big as it looks in the photo. I bought this because I wanted a Reverso, but I'm not a big fan of the Arabic dials. The batons on this work really well I think.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    I have one of these, the only difference is mine is the large size rather than medium shown in the video.

I previously had a classic large, single face reverso, which oddly is slightly smaller as well as proportionately quite a bit thinner. On a black alligator strap, it fell in to dress watch category imo.

I replaced it with this as it’s closer to sport watch size, particularly in thickness, which is what I was going for. As mentioned in the video, the brown fagliano strap does a great job of dressing it down and making it much more versatile. I still have a jlc black strap to dress it up too.

The deployant clasp is lovely too and has a clever quick release function which together with the quick release spring bars makes changing straps a simple joy.

Loving the duoface too. The black face on the reverse is more special than I was actually expecting. Very eye catching in the flesh.

Loving mine. I'd agree it's the coolest of the cool...

Tried the duoface and agree, the black face does look stunning. If I bought one, I’d keep it on the black face most of the time with the option of the silver dial if required. Very versatile, effectively two watches in one.

Journeyman
    Iconic watch however, the case design not a fit for all the wrists

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tried the duoface and agree, the black face does look stunning. If I bought one, I’d keep it on the black face most of the time with the option of the silver dial if required. Very versatile, effectively two watches in one.
    Was very glad to pick one of these up today passing through T3. Very timely for a trip to NYC and Boston.
    Last edited by Skyman; 5th November 2019 at 22:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Was very glad to pick one of these up today passing through T3. Very timely for a trip to NYC and Boston.
    this is beautiful...

I can't possibly imagine anyone wearing it for a game of polo and I never had any feedback from official assistance about a relume job (marketing director is a friend of mine's husband...)
    but it's an awsome watch anyway, I keep looking at it all the time while wearing it.
    Oh well, as with anyone of my watches.

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    this is beautiful...
    That looks great. Considering the same model but unsure whether to go for the medium or large. Tried on the large model which had a somewhat ‘sporty’ feel, however found it a little too thick. I wonder whether the medium version has the same thickness.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That looks great. Considering the same model but unsure whether to go for the medium or large. Tried on the large model which had a somewhat ‘sporty’ feel, however found it a little too thick. I wonder whether the medium version has the same thickness.
    Following the lead from the video review posted above, I too was leaning towards the medium. However, on the wrist (7”, and reasonably flat) that version just felt too diddy. Thickness wise, whilst somewhat unhelpfully the JLC website only provides details for the medium version (9.2mm), I would say the large is probably no more than 1-1.5mm greater than that.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I picked one up last week from an AD, I’ve had a few JLC but my first reverso

Love it, so classy and well made. The colour of the dial is something totally different too

Master
    Blog Entries
    That is brilliant and was on my list. I ended up with the blue version as I’m a sucker for blue but it’s back at the motherland having an engraving done on it. Can’t wait for it to come back. FInally a watch I can’t Sell : )

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Great to see the Reverso getting a good press.