closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BBQ - advice sought

Master
    Blog Entries

BBQ - advice sought

So, finally we bought a charcoal, non-gas barbie with 2 level grills and pull back cover.

How best to prep the unit?

Been told to line the base with a bed of sand to prevent scorching of base’s metal and to put the coals on top of the bed of sand.

Thoughts and happy to be advised.

Jim

I wouldn't do anything on most BBQs I've seen.

Sand could restrict the airflow, get clogged up with ash and grease. You'd have to replace it every time you use it.

Unless I'm missing something? Who care about the bottom of the BBQ having scorch marks?

I think we need to know more? I bought a Weber 8 years ago, only prep needed was to fill it up and use it. I clean it then leave it un covered in the garden, no problems, what’s gonna scorch/ the inside of a bbq?

Sorry Jim just reread, my bbq has a grill that sits 1 inch from the bottom, this allows air flow which lets briquettes burn, if I put them on a layer of sand they’d just go out? I’m not sure what you’re thinking and maybe you miss understand what you’ve been told?

Sorry not trying to be rude I love bbq and just want to help.

Craftsman
    Wouldn’t sand just fall through the bottom vents ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers guys and thanks for the advice.

We were told sand would keep the heat projecting upwards towards the food and not the unvented bottom of unit.

Jim

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    We were told sand would keep the heat projecting upwards towards the food and not the unvented bottom of unit
    I think that's general advice for a chimanea, not a BBQ. Apparently heat rises, or at least that's what my science teacher told me in 1970.

Master
    If its got a wide full tray at the bottom to catch the grease, like an outback bbq as example, then the wide tray lined with foil and then sand is a much easier way of dealing with cleaning at the end of season. Less looks wise, but much easier & if doing something fatty dramatically reduces any chance of the fat catching.

Craftsman
    The most important thing you need to do is invite all on TZ round so we can give you a personal opinion.......

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh, alright!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    The most important thing you need to do is invite all on TZ round so we can give you a personal opinion.......

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk