closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT complications, what do I need to know?

GMT complications, what do I need to know?

I’ve got a new (to me) Sinn U2 on the way with the GMT complication, I’ve never had a watch with this before, what the deal? I understand it’s not a true GMT watch, but is it a useful thing to have?

Craftsman
    Only useful if you want to keep track of the time in a different time zone. I think that’s about it :)

That’s pretty much what I expected, but I thought the majority of GMT movements had some compromise about the way they operate?

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    That’s pretty much what I expected, but I thought the majority of GMT movements had some compromise about the way they operate?
    The only compromise might be that they stop the second hand when you want to change settings, or that the GMT is a slave hand to the hour hand. Not much else will be a compromise of anything. Certainly nothing like as compromised as a 3 hander when you want a GMT ;)

The U2 is my favourite Sinn :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I think that the date setting by moving the hour hand could be considered a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I think that the date setting by moving the hour hand could be considered a compromise.
    Omega don’t even need a GMT for that one ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    If the Sinn has a variation of the ETA 2893-2 movement, then from memory the normal crown position hand winds, pulling the crown to the 1st click adjusts the quick set the date in one direction and the GMT in one hour increments in the other, the second click hacks the movement and allows adjustment of the time. No compromise there.

I had a Speedbird-22 GMT with the 2893-2 movement and it was super quiet, smooth to wind and excellent timekeeper.

The independent hour hand is the main appeal of the GMT for me. I'd love one on my non-GMTs!

Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    If the Sinn has a variation of the ETA 2893-2 movement, then from memory the normal crown position hand winds, pulling the crown to the 1st click adjusts the quick set the date in one direction and the GMT in one hour increments in the other, the second click hacks the movement and allows adjustment of the time. No compromise therer.
    That's exactly the movement it has, great information, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The only compromise might be that they stop the second hand when you want to change settings, or that the GMT is a slave hand to the hour hand. Not much else will be a compromise of anything. Certainly nothing like as compromised as a 3 hander when you want a GMT ;)

The U2 is my favourite Sinn :)
    Thanks a lot, I’ve had a UX for ages, but this came along at the right price.