closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Running Watches

Running Watches

I run three times a week and usually strap an iPhone XS Max to my arm for running to measure pace and plug into some music. It’s acceptable, but a little bit bulky and I’m getting fed up of the Nike Run app and all its bugs.

Thinking about a GPS running watch. I previously used an Apple Watch but as above, Nike Run was dreadful and syncing music over Bluetooth to it was so slow that it was unusable.

I’ve been looking at the Garmin Fenix 6 which looks pretty good. Expensive, but it would definitely get lots of use to justify the price.

Anyone have a Garmin? What’s syncing music like? Any other options I should be considering?

I don't run at all but someone I know who is very into marathon running swears by the Garmin Forerunner 935. It's meant to be very good but I'm unsure about the music aspect.

Master
    Basic running watch ~ Garmin Forerunner 45

Best running watch ~ Garmin Forerunner 245

Depends on your budget, but if it’s just for running the 245 will do everything you need and more but the 45 is more than capable. Check out the YouTube reviews

Craftsman
    I’ve had a few running watches inc 3 Garmins, currently using a Fenix 5. Garmin are the best i’ve used Also used a Suunto and Nike Running watch in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A recent thread might have some answers

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...+running+watch

Craftsman
    I use a Garmin Vivoactive 3 music for bike and running, GPS, heart rate, music via Bluetooth to headphones great battery life. Around £200 well worth it.

I've been using my TomTom for the last 2 years I got it new but now you can pick them up cheap
    Music GPS Heart Rate plus links to your phone prefect

Running Watches

Have you thought about changing apps? I run and ride with an Apple Watch but I’m using Strava to track the gps/HR data. Used to use Runkeeper too, that wasn’t too bad

I sync’d a playlist from my phone so I can run with just the watch and ‘phones if I want

Edit - never had any issues with BT streaming either, maybe it’s the headphones and not the device?
    Last edited by goregasm; 8th September 2019 at 17:26.

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    Have you thought about changing apps? I run and ride with an Apple Watch but I’m using Strava to track the gps/HR data. Used to use Runkeeper too, that wasn’t too bad

I sync’d a playlist from my phone so I can run with just the watch and ‘phones if I want

Edit - never had any issues with BT streaming either, maybe it’s the headphones and not the device?
    The problem with the apple watch was putting music onto it. It used bluetooth to transfer the data...this took hours and was really flaky. My other issue with the apple watch was time to acquire gps, it’s general slowness and nike run having a mind of its own and stopping half way through a run. Maybe this was because it was a series 2 and they have improved now?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    The problem with the apple watch was putting music onto it. It used bluetooth to transfer the data...this took hours and was really flaky. My other issue with the apple watch was time to acquire gps, it’s general slowness and nike run having a mind of its own and stopping half way through a run. Maybe this was because it was a series 2 and they have improved now?
    Ah, could be.. I have an AW3 and it’s been faultless for me.

I think once mine (inevitably) starts failing I’ll be looking at a Garmin.

Have a scan through https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best...ng-watches-gps

This is mr running watch.

I also stick an iphone in a back pocket with Strava and BBC Sounds on it. I've never really felt the need for anything else.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    I use a Garmin Vivoactive 3 music for bike and running, GPS, heart rate, music via Bluetooth to headphones great battery life. Around £200 well worth it.
    I use the vivoactive 3 music also. It's great and you can sync just any fitness apps and also had the Garmin app.

It's àround 120-150 in price now

Journeyman
    The latest apple watch can have 4g as well (I think only with EE) which means you don't need a phone and you can still stream from spotify. I couldn't justify spending that much on something I wear 2/3 times a week for 30minutes so I'm still using my garmin vivosmart and carry my phone as well in one of those awkward pouch thingies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Surprised to learn of your issues with Apple Watch, as a series 2 owner. It’s been on my wrist all day, everyday, since August 2017 except when I go to bed as my heavy use means I have to charge it every night. I use it for running, gym and general fitness tracking. I used to use RunKeeper on the watch and phone. I’m a regular runner so plenty of use but very occasionally had any issues like app crashing on the watch. Used Nike Run Club a few times too without any problems.

Music transfer is also simple and never failed. I just create/update playlist(s) on the phone and it syncs to the watch while charging when placed near the phone overnight. Not that I need music stored on the watch (but still do for some reason) as I carry my phone anyway, despite the watch having GPS.

It acquires GPS signal within a few seconds of going outside but then again I don’t need it as I use my phone.