closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Driving out of Manhattan, NYC - NOW SORTED VIA AMTRAK!

  1. #1
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677

    Driving out of Manhattan, NYC - NOW SORTED VIA AMTRAK!

    We have booked a few days in NYC before driving north to Boston, in early November. We were there in April and personally I thought the traffic, even at rush hour, was manageable. I am a confident driver, have driven plenty in the US, and we will be hiring an oversized SUV, so I am happy with the idea of a car being delivered to our hotel one morning and then proceeding to drive out of the city post rush hour. My wife, however, thinks it could be a nightmare. Any got experience of driving in NYC?
    Last edited by Skyman; 8th September 2019 at 16:34.

  2. #2
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,256
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    We have booked a few days in NYC before driving north to Boston, in early November. We were there in April and personally I thought the traffic, even at rush hour, was manageable. I am a confident driver, have driven plenty in the US, and we will be hiring an oversized SUV, so I am happy with the idea of a car being delivered to our hotel one morning and then proceeding to drive out of the city post rush hour. My wife, however, thinks it could be a nightmare. Any got experience of driving in NYC?
    Yes but a lot of years ago if you are a confident driver in the US and importantly have a route properly mapped then why not? but unless you have stops en route why not get the train? Amtrak have some decent offers at this time.

    https://www.amtrak.com/northeast-tra...savers_hpcard2
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  3. #3
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Yes but a lot of years ago if you are a confident driver in the US and importantly have a route properly mapped then why not? but unless you have stops en route why not get the train? Amtrak have some decent offers at this time.

    https://www.amtrak.com/northeast-tra...savers_hpcard2
    Many thanks. Last time we looked, the train seemed overly expensive, hence my plan. Will check out that link, and maybe just hire once in MA.

  4. #4
    My wife took a car from Midtown to Boston once. The time meedeed to ‘escape’ from NY is nearly 1/3 of the whole trip. No time to ‘absorb’ the scènery. Since then, she takes the pre-mentioned Amtrak.

    Quick look at the link: $ 55 p/person isn’t too bad

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    328
    I took the train from NY to Boston and I'm a confident regular driver in the USA. I did think we'd get scenic views of the Hamptons etc as we progressed up the coast but sadly not, the route didn't offer much except suburbia!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I took the train from NY to Boston and I'm a confident regular driver in the USA. I did think we'd get scenic views of the Hamptons etc as we progressed up the coast but sadly not, the route didn't offer much except suburbia!
    True. That’s the response my wife gave me a few secs ago as well: “...not a scenic trip!”

  7. #7
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Thanks for the helpful comments. Wife is booking Amtrak as we speak. Hire SUV from Boston onwards.

  8. #8
    Grand Master VDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whitehole
    Posts
    18,866
    What’s wrong with Greyhound?
    If you sit by the river long enough, you'll see your brand new with tags bargepole float by right after the swine which choked on the pearls.

  9. #9
    Don't think that driving in Manhattan would be worse than any major/capital city. On the other hand, if you take the train it's an opportunity to visit Grand Central station, which is a wonderful building and worth the trip on its own.

    Cheers,

    Plug

  10. #10
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Don't think that driving in Manhattan would be worse than any major/capital city. On the other hand, if you take the train it's an opportunity to visit Grand Central station, which is a wonderful building and worth the trip on its own.

    Cheers,

    Plug
    Thanks. We saw GC in April. Truly superb. The Boston train leaves from Penn Station.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    What’s wrong with Greyhound?
    Not sure I fancy nearly eight hours on a coach. Cheap though.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the south
    Posts
    1,030
    Drove in LA. San Francisco and Las Vegas recently and was fine. Seems to be a bit more consideration especially for hire cars.

  12. #12
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Drove in LA. San Francisco and Las Vegas recently and was fine. Seems to be a bit more consideration especially for hire cars.
    Agreed. We did the same twice last year. A doddle. Just interested if NYC is any different.

  13. #13
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    My wife took a car from Midtown to Boston once. The time meedeed to ‘escape’ from NY is nearly 1/3 of the whole trip. No time to ‘absorb’ the scènery. Since then, she takes the pre-mentioned Amtrak.

    Quick look at the link: $ 55 p/person isn’t too bad
    Got two tickets for a very reasonable total cost of $78.👍

  14. #14
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    4,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Got two tickets for a very reasonable total cost of $78.
    Was that for 1st class ??

  15. #15
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,561
    Been caught in NYC rush hour a few times - no worse than any of the big cities across the world.

    Kept moving but slow until we got out of the centre.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,800
    There is no first class. You book the Acela train to Boston will take 3-1/2 to 4 hours to get to South Station in Boston. Get to Penn Station 1 hour early and pay the red cap for early seating so you get choice seats don't be cheap it will cost you if it's a full train. They have a car with food and drinks so you're good there to. There are no rental car places near South Station so best to Uber or take a cab ride to get to one.

    Boston is a walking city so don't rent a car if your staying in the city walk or take the T the T is very safe. If you're staying in the city make reservations (you will need them) for this Italian restaurant

    https://www.massiminosboston.com/

    it's in the North End but not near the hustle and bustle of Hanover Street and after go to Modern Pastry on Hanover Street I like it way better than Mikes Pastry.

    Bova's Bakery is excellent too.

  17. #17
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    6,702
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Was that for 1st class ??

  18. #18
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Was that for 1st class ??
    If that’s what they meant by booking the entire carriage, then yes.

  19. #19
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    There is no first class. You book the Acela train to Boston will take 3-1/2 to 4 hours to get to South Station in Boston. Get to Penn Station 1 hour early and pay the red cap for early seating so you get choice seats don't be cheap it will cost you if it's a full train. They have a car with food and drinks so you're good there to. There are no rental car places near South Station so best to Uber or take a cab ride to get to one.

    Boston is a walking city so don't rent a car if your staying in the city walk or take the T the T is very safe. If you're staying in the city make reservations (you will need them) for this Italian restaurant

    https://www.massiminosboston.com/

    it's in the North End but not near the hustle and bustle of Hanover Street and after go to Modern Pastry on Hanover Street I like it way better than Mikes Pastry.

    Bova's Bakery is excellent too.
    Thanks. We have been to Boston many times. Oversized SUV (Avis - never mind!) now booked for collection less than a km from SS, then a straight drive out to friends’ house near Concord. Thanks for all the help.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Thanks. We have been to Boston many times. Oversized SUV (Avis - never mind!) now booked for collection less than a km from SS, then a straight drive out to friends’ house near Concord. Thanks for all the help.
    Your best bet is to get off in Westwood at University Station right on I-95 then if you are going to Concord.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    3,149
    Blog Entries
    1
    We are doing the leisurely way next month on a Cruise Ship leave NY at 2am arrive Boston 7am

  22. #22
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    We are doing the leisurely way next month on a Cruise Ship leave NY at 2am arrive Boston 7am
    Nice alternative.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    3,829
    I see you are sorted but for future reference we drove from Manhattan (near Times Square) to Virginia Beach in a hire car and back to JFK at the end of the trip. No issues at all in NYC or anywhere else for that matter. There was a car sickness incident halfway along the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel - no stopping and another 10 miles to go on the 17 mile long bridge. Oh how we laughed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •