closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driving out of Manhattan, NYC - NOW SORTED VIA AMTRAK!

Hybrid View

Banned
    Blog Entries

Driving out of Manhattan, NYC - NOW SORTED VIA AMTRAK!

We have booked a few days in NYC before driving north to Boston, in early November. We were there in April and personally I thought the traffic, even at rush hour, was manageable. I am a confident driver, have driven plenty in the US, and we will be hiring an oversized SUV, so I am happy with the idea of a car being delivered to our hotel one morning and then proceeding to drive out of the city post rush hour. My wife, however, thinks it could be a nightmare. Any got experience of driving in NYC?
    Last edited by Skyman; 8th September 2019 at 16:34.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    We have booked a few days in NYC before driving north to Boston, in early November. We were there in April and personally I thought the traffic, even at rush hour, was manageable. I am a confident driver, have driven plenty in the US, and we will be hiring an oversized SUV, so I am happy with the idea of a car being delivered to our hotel one morning and then proceeding to drive out of the city post rush hour. My wife, however, thinks it could be a nightmare. Any got experience of driving in NYC?
    Yes but a lot of years ago if you are a confident driver in the US and importantly have a route properly mapped then why not? but unless you have stops en route why not get the train? Amtrak have some decent offers at this time.

https://www.amtrak.com/northeast-tra...savers_hpcard2
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Yes but a lot of years ago if you are a confident driver in the US and importantly have a route properly mapped then why not? but unless you have stops en route why not get the train? Amtrak have some decent offers at this time.

https://www.amtrak.com/northeast-tra...savers_hpcard2
    Many thanks. Last time we looked, the train seemed overly expensive, hence my plan. Will check out that link, and maybe just hire once in MA.

Blog Entries
    My wife took a car from Midtown to Boston once. The time meedeed to ‘escape’ from NY is nearly 1/3 of the whole trip. No time to ‘absorb’ the scènery. Since then, she takes the pre-mentioned Amtrak.

Quick look at the link: $ 55 p/person isn’t too bad

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    My wife took a car from Midtown to Boston once. The time meedeed to ‘escape’ from NY is nearly 1/3 of the whole trip. No time to ‘absorb’ the scènery. Since then, she takes the pre-mentioned Amtrak.

Quick look at the link: $ 55 p/person isn’t too bad
    Got two tickets for a very reasonable total cost of $78.👍

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Got two tickets for a very reasonable total cost of $78.
    Was that for 1st class ??

Craftsman
    I took the train from NY to Boston and I'm a confident regular driver in the USA. I did think we'd get scenic views of the Hamptons etc as we progressed up the coast but sadly not, the route didn't offer much except suburbia!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I took the train from NY to Boston and I'm a confident regular driver in the USA. I did think we'd get scenic views of the Hamptons etc as we progressed up the coast but sadly not, the route didn't offer much except suburbia!
    True. That’s the response my wife gave me a few secs ago as well: “...not a scenic trip!”

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the helpful comments. Wife is booking Amtrak as we speak. Hire SUV from Boston onwards.

What’s wrong with Greyhound?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri