closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone noticed my watch!

Someone noticed my watch!

Like most people on this forum, no one really pays any attention to the watch I'm wearing but this changed when I was on holiday in Sorrento when an American tourist went up to me and virtually grabbed my wrist and shouted "Orange Monster very cool". I could not believe it and all I could say was "you certainly know your watches". We shook hands and went our separate ways. I know this has been asked before but does anyone have any interesting stories of the watch they were wearing being noticed and commented on?

Craftsman
    At my brothers wedding one of his guests introduced himself to me by grabbing my arm and asking if it was real. The watch in question was my newly acquired 126710blnr.

Slightly surprised I said thanks, quick chat about his watch collection (Armani, Hugo boss and the likes) and i moved on to better things..... the bar.

Just once in WoS Brighton. Was talking to the manager about getting a Breitling services and he said, wow, that's a nice watch, what is it? Was wearing a Sinn U1000. Not heard of them he said..... so much for his expertise then....nice store though and very welcoming.

A couple of weeks ago the guy serving me at local petrol station commented on my humble Tissot. In fairness it was probably the Milanese strap that I’ve put on it that caught his eye.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I had a client notice my watch and loved it (was the BB58) and he was wearing a normal black bay

A few years ago I was in my friend's wedding party in a local nightclub at Helsinki.

I was probably looking "wealthy" in the black suit I was wearing. I was ordering a drink at the bar.

There was a Russian hooker who approached me, talked some shit and said "Nice Rolex".

I thanked her... and then I told her that "honey... unfortunately I don't swim in dirty waters".

Then she left me alone.

No it's not a joke... true story. The Rolex got noticed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    At my brothers wedding one of his guests introduced himself to me by grabbing my arm and asking if it was real. The watch in question was my newly acquired 126710blnr.

Slightly surprised I said thanks, quick chat about his watch collection (Armani, Hugo boss and the likes) and i moved on to better things..... the bar.
    wow, fairly judgmental there sport.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post

You didn’t even offer the poor fella a drink ?

I bought a wind chime from a stall in Santa Monica and the guy selling them commented on the wonderful design of my Dreadnought Voyager.

He'd no idea what it was, but admired it anyway.

Apparently he was a design student.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    A few years ago I was in my friend's wedding party in a local nightclub at Helsinki.

I was probably looking "wealthy" in the black suit I was wearing. I was ordering a drink at the bar.

There was a Russian hooker who approached me, talked some shit and said "Nice Rolex".

I thanked her... and then I told her that "honey... unfortunately I don't swim in dirty waters".

Then she left me alone.

My most noticed watch is my Omega Time Computer - general reaction is wtf is that? Followed by that's cool when you show them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    No because my wife was hanging around nearby. Haha.

I’m sorry but if a stranger came up to me and grabbed my arm, they would find themselves contorted into an uncomfortable position before they could remark on anything, positively or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I’m sorry but if a stranger came up to me and grabbed my arm, they would find themselves contorted into an uncomfortable position before they could remark on anything, positively or not.
    Must admit that thought crossed my mind.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My Rolex Root Beer gets noticed a lot, primarily by oriental ladies for some reason (must be a homing beacon lol). Other than that nothing much gets noticed - a few comments on Grand Seikos I have owned and my PRS 29b got comments of 'lovely vintage watch' a couple of times but that's it.

But would you buy them a drink afterwards?

Craftsman
    126710 gets noticed more than I’d like, to the point that I’m quite selective when and where I wear it.
    Last edited by Benji053; 8th September 2019 at 08:27.

Craftsman
    ^^^^^
    What is a 216710?

Was in a car showroom dropping off a colleague who was picking up a new motor. Wandering around looking at the cars in the showroom when a salesman makes a bee-line for me, I just managed to get out "just looking" when he said " I haven't seen one of them in the flesh before" pointing at the Explorer 1655. After a brief chat he asked if he could try it on, he tried it on and was delighted. Proper WIS.

Master
    The manager of Hammonds (?) Jura (?) in Leeds Victoria quarter congratulated me on my GMT Master. " That's one of my favourites, pure class". His eyes nearly popped out when I handed him my Steinhart .

Funnily enough I wore a Rolex GMT every day for about nine years, never received any comment. The first time I wore the Steinhart the Vicar at my church said " Great looking watch there Brian, think I better check the Church accounts.

It's only happened once, when I attended a meeting with a client wearing this...

Afterwards we were saying our goodbyes, and he commented "I think the Silverstone is my favourite of all the watches you've worn". I was gobsmacked.

I've had my watches remarked on quite a few times. A few years ago, when wearing a black Seiko 5, someone asked if it was the new Rolex.

More recently people have complimented me on my Grand Seikos quite a few times. Used to be it was because they thought it was a Rolex but when they peered closer and I said it was just a Seiko, they lost interest. But not long ago in New York, someone knew my other GS was a Snowflake and was excited to see one out and about.

Master
    Exactly my thoughts

Master
    A barman asked me about my Farer recently, mainly because it's bright blue and therefore quite noticeable I think. And then a bloke standing next to me at a bar last year said of my Turtle; 'Nice, you don't see many of those about.' To which, confused, I had little intelligible to rejoinder with, as they are common as muck.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck6699 View Post
    Like most people on this forum, no one really pays any attention to the watch I'm wearing but this changed when I was on holiday in Sorrento when an American tourist went up to me and virtually grabbed my wrist and shouted "Orange Monster very cool". I could not believe it and all I could say was "you certainly know your watches". We shook hands and went our separate ways. I know this has been asked before but does anyone have any interesting stories of the watch they were wearing being noticed and commented on?
    Great watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My wife once stuck her fingers in my back pocket to grab some cash, not thinking of course, she was about an inch from a burst nose when I realised it was her and stopped, she’s never done it again, now she asks for the cash.

Craftsman
    Some guy in a Japan bar noticed my Paul Newman.... I let it go a bit later...wish I’d kept it now!!!!!

But seriously, only my Mark XV has ever been noticed, and that was by a chap from work who only knew the name, not the watch.

I did have an episode in Cape Verdi a few years back with a pick-pocket and a Breitling...he was not a good pickpocket as I felt him trying to unfasten the bracelet.

My vet loves my Sinn UX, he spends half of any consultation staring at my wrist.

Master
    My Sinn U1 was probably my most commented on watch, I’ve had a few ask about various Rolex normally seadweller or Daytona but the Sinn was like a magnet to fellow WIS’s

Journeyman
    My PRS 40A was noticed and commented on by a customer who then also turned out to be a forum member.

Master
    The last time someone commented on my watch was at the Gym. I was wearing my Sub, the second thing he asked was “is it real”? Ho hum......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck6699 View Post
    virtually grabbed my wrist and shouted "Orange Monster very cool"
    Surprised it was still on after that encounter see - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...iza-16610-gone
    Last edited by broxie; 8th September 2019 at 18:38.

Master
    Apart from the occasional "I haven't seen that one before, is it a new one?" from 'er indoors, my wristwatch has only been remarked upon twice that I can remember. The first time was at work in RR in Derby when a colleague asked "where did you get that?" about my 16750, assuming it was a replica. He then showed me his own fake Sub which he believed to have a Seiko movement (it probably didn't).

The second time was about ten years later at a restaurant in London's Chinatown. One of the waiters asked me if the watch I had on was an IWC. It was actually a Breitling Grand Premier. Slight irony there because my most frequently-worn watch at that time was my Mk XII, and as far as I can remember no-one has ever taken an interest in it.

Craftsman
    An orange monster in a store once recognised by the check out guy.

A mudman g shock was once commented on in Debenhams.

And finally my steinhart ocean one.. a guy at work I didn't know specifically came over to ask to try it in as he was considering one.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ironically, the only watch that's been commented on was my inconspicuous G-Shock DW-5600BB-1ER. A sales assistant in Richer Sounds mentioned that he liked the stealthy look of it!

I was once in a mini market, in a rush because I parked in the nearby gas station and the security guy was chasing me in the store flashing his bage.
    So anyway, the guy at thw till says
    Nice shark, I had one too.

I had no idea what he was talking about so I said
    What?

He repeated
    Nice shark, I had one too.

What?

The watch, the Squale!

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH! yeah! Sure! Great piece! Thanks,

Then rushed back in the car to avoid the surveilance dude.
    Otherwise I would have stayed another five minutes at the till.

Funny, so being in Italy and Italian and shark is squalo... I was really elsewhere wirh my mind.

BUBI 0_0

Oh and once an airflight attendant was mesmerised by my reverso

Ow! That's clever!

Yeah!

(She was hot but... wtf)

BUBI 0_0

True story! this happened a few weeks ago, I had cause to see a colorectal consultant and during a rather intimate examination, just as he asked me to bring my knees up to my chest, he asked if it was wearing a Speedmaster I was wearing!

After the examination I sat down (rather gingerly...) and noticed his ND Sub on his desk and so ensued the most surreal chats about watches I’ve ever had.
    Last edited by bigvic; 8th September 2019 at 21:28.

Just yesterday I was in a watch store trying on a watch. I took off my Submariner and put it down on the counter at which point the sales assistant said "great watch", promptly picked it up and put it on... I didn't say anything but thought that a little inappropriate (or am I being precious?)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post

Then she left me alone.

I wonder which Rolex were you wearing??

Master
    Blog Entries
    I hardly ever wear my Comex. However, a few weeks ago an American friend of mine asked if I could pop into Harrods and pick up a Black Bay they had got in for him. I decided to wear it for the trip.

On the way back, I was alone of the train carriage with a rather large young guy. As the train pulled in to the last stop, he got up and actually stopped to look at the watch.

'Nice watch' he said. The world fell out of my arse. We were completely alone. Here I was, lamb to the slaughter of this muscular horologically informed mugger.
    'Would you mind if I took a photo of it?' Rejoice!! A watch nerd. Turns out, really nice guy. Had a little chat on the way out of the station, shook hands and parted ways.

At Trent Bridge watching the cricket a couple of weekends back the South African fella in front of me said 'I like your Seiko' as I returned to my seat with a beer. It was actually my Smiths PRS68 - so began a fairly long conversation about various watches (we'd both owned the same Oris model in the past I think) and him trying the 68 on and examining it quite closely.

The only one of mine to attract a comment, that I recall, was a yellow dial Pogue being worn on a visit to the science museum - a teenager said something like "cool watch" whilst we stood in front of Tim Peak's Soyuz space capsule.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    The only one of mine to attract a comment, that I recall, was a yellow dial Pogue being worn on a visit to the science museum - a teenager said something like "cool watch" whilst we stood in front of Tim Peak's Soyuz space capsule.
    I get that with my pogue too from youngsters - maybe it's because mine is on a yellow strap as well.

B

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    True story! this happened a few weeks ago, I had cause to see a colorectal consultant and during a rather intimate examination, just as he asked me to bring my knees up to my chest, he asked if it was wearing a Speedmaster I was wearing!

After the examination I sat down (rather gingerly...) and noticed his ND Sub on his desk and so ensued the most surreal chats about watches I’ve ever had.
    I had a similar watch chat with a Consultant Gynaecologist once, but I was working, not a patient, I was wearing a 70s manual chrono and he had a Breitling 806. Recommended Brendon for some fettling of it a few weeks later, he was delighted. We chatted about watches for an hour and about business for about 2 minutes.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I had a guy in a restaurant shove his 2254 under my nose and announce SNAP, he was sitting on the next table. The next week on a train, a guy sitting next to me had a 2254 on as well! The next month I traded it for a PRS 2 Dreadnought, got loads of nice comments. Never seen another one on any ones wrist other than at a watch meet.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I had a similar watch chat with a Consultant Gynaecologist once, but I was working, not a patient, I was wearing a 70s manual chrono and he had a Breitling 806. Recommended Brendon for some fettling of it a few weeks later, he was delighted. We chatted about watches for an hour and about business for about 2 minutes.
    I had my Milgauss GV noticed yesterday by a patient in my clinic, a really nice fella. I'm a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon. I didn't have my hand up his ar**

Its currently on a deep green purlon (which is how I like it for the summer)

Moral of the story, we surgeons are tediously boring Rolex buyers, but occasionally we break free and buy something else.

Today I am wearing a Swatch Irony that looks like a Speedmaster, because I'm in theatre and thus it sits on the windowsill all day. The thought of leaving my Milgauss unattended on the windowsill all day is not acceptable.

Although actually inside trauma theatre is one of the most inaccessible places in the city.

Where do you work Doc?
    Cheers..
    Jase

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust (Carlisle)

hey hey, are you coming after my Rolley ?

Weirdly this happened to me recently as well for the first time. I was on the tube and noticed this guy kept checking out my watch, he then asked what brand it was and said it was beautiful. I was quite pleased!

If a watch gets noticed by non-WIS, it is usually orange, yellow, big or bling. Or any combination thereof. I wouldn’t care if anyone noticed my watch or not.