timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone noticed my watch!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    what was the watch in question?

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Weirdly this happened to me recently as well for the first time. I was on the tube and noticed this guy kept checking out my watch, he then asked what brand it was and said it was beautiful. I was quite pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    what was the watch in question?
    good question (should have said) it was a Vacheron & Constantin Ref. 6456.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust (Carlisle)

hey hey, are you coming after my Rolley ?
    Damn, way out of my patch.
    How suspicious of you, I was thinking a nice coffee and chat 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, understated class.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    good question (should have said) it was a Vacheron & Constantin Ref. 6456.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Very nice, understated class.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    True story! this happened a few weeks ago, I had cause to see a colorectal consultant and during a rather intimate examination, just as he asked me to bring my knees up to my chest, he asked if it was wearing a Speedmaster I was wearing!

After the examination I sat down (rather gingerly...) and noticed his ND Sub on his desk and so ensued the most surreal chats about watches I’ve ever had.

Are you sure it was a colorectal consultation and not the vetting process to buy a SS Rolex from an AD?

Craftsman
    A young consultant at Bolton Breast Cancer Clinic spotted my PAM90 and said he had the same (as well as my Persol Glasses !)
    Nice chap who had a growing collection of watches, so we swopped tales for a while.
    Ironically I wore my Panerai as I am superstitious and had be given the good news that my wife’s treatment was successful and she was clear whilst wearing it on a previous appointment.
    At times like this you realise how totally unimportant these trinkets are when your good health is what truly brings happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Are you sure it was a colorectal consultation and not the vetting process to buy a SS Rolex from an AD?
    I wish it where just a consultation but he went full James Herriot on me!

Craftsman
    My Rolex Root Beer gets noticed a lot, primarily by oriental ladies for some reason (must be a homing beacon lol). Other than that nothing much gets noticed - a few comments on Grand Seikos I have owned and my PRS 29b got comments of 'lovely vintage watch' a couple of times but that's it.
    Oriental “ladies”. กะเทย

Regards

V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my Milgauss GV noticed yesterday by a patient in my clinic, a really nice fella. I'm a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon. I didn't have my hand up his ar**
    Well thanks for clearing that one up!

Someone noticed my watch!

At different times I've had a grocery clerk and a library patron comment "nice watch" about my PRS-82 on bracelet. Both comments surprised me, and I replied awkwardly, "Oh, thanks," without saying much else. I wish I had followed up and started a conversation.

Occasionally my kids will say, "I like that watch, dad." They say it so honestly and sweetly, but when I get excited and ask if they are interested in wearing watches, they always laugh and say no.

I started wearing a $10 Bob Marley t-shirt shirt this summer, and in just a few weeks about ten strangers, men and women, young and old, have said, "Cool shirt!" One lady even danced and sang "One Love" while I stood there. These are the most compliments I've gotten about anything I've ever worn.
    Last edited by williemays; 12th September 2019 at 03:42.

My seiko alpinist on a mesh bracelet gets me the most comments. Also, when I owned the Black bay black ETA I had someone ask me if it was a Rolex at a restaurant, when I said it was a Tudor he said that he also had a fake one ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    True story! this happened a few weeks ago, I had cause to see a colorectal consultant and during a rather intimate examination, just as he asked me to bring my knees up to my chest, he asked if it was wearing a Speedmaster I was wearing!

After the examination I sat down (rather gingerly...) and noticed his ND Sub on his desk and so ensued the most surreal chats about watches I’ve ever had.
    Going off topic, I had my prostate checked a couple of years ago. On the couch in 'the position' and waiting for the doc, I heard him say:
    "Is it hot in here? I think it is. I've got a desk clock & weather station here somewhere, hold on."

Imagining something like this

I replied :
    "If you think I'm going to stay still whilst you find that, you've another thing coming! If you want to take my temperature, a thermometer under the tongue will do."

Back on comment, a friend once commented that she really, really liked my Day and Night Reverso. It was at a dinner party, thankfully no one asked what it cost. Mates who know I collect often ask what I'm wearing, a colleague once observed that I had a different watch every time I saw him. But outside of those groups, no one has ever commented.

Plenty of people notice my Rado Diastar chronometer. I have the rare silver tungsten carbide one with the faceted crystal. It's on its original NSA strap. The whole thing, strap included is very sparkly. When I wear it I often see people looking, but they never comment, so you never know what's going through their minds.
    This one:

The conclusion to this thread is if you want to be noticed, a Rolex and Bob Marley t-shirt is the way to go

Craftsman
    Possibly my favourite Rolex comment ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Damn, way out of my patch.
    How suspicious of you, I was thinking a nice coffee and chat 
    You would be most welcome, anytime you are nearby. I am in occasionally in Cambridge, as I am (for my sins) an old Persean.
    What's your game?

You would be most welcome, anytime you are nearby. I am in occasionally in Cambridge, as I am (for my sins) an old Persean.
    What's your game?
    Thanks, that would be nice. Theatre instruments and consumable sales ( very small company, not one of the usual suspects )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If a watch gets noticed by non-WIS, it is usually orange, yellow, big or bling. Or any combination thereof. I wouldn’t care if anyone noticed my watch or not.

Ahhh..... has nobody noticed any of your 'otchy watchies then ??

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Ahhh..... has nobody noticed any of your 'otchy watchies then ??
    Quite the opposite but it is a nuisance. Mostly it is people I know peripherally. When strangers notice, it means nothing unless it is a watch I am particularly fond of or the other person knows what he is talking about.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 12th September 2019 at 13:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Quite the opposite but it is a nuisance. Mostly it is people I know peripherally. When strangers notice, it means nothing unless it is a watch I am particularly fond of or the other person knows what he is talking about.

Only joking Obv........

If I'm in bandit country in third world Britain I do find it a nuisance but then it's my fault for not being sensible.

When I was in NY last year I felt safer (because they do not know if you are carrying)

B

Craftsman
    I have had people ask me about my Sinn's U2 & U1000. The U2 is featured in a lot of media pieces as I wear it while doing venom extractions from snakes.

At least when someone recognises a Sinn you know they are a real WIS.

Wow to the Silverstone

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have only had two noticed.

Once in a dental chair about fifteen years ago while wearing a 46mm Glycine Airman, the dental nurse said "oh my god that's huge" which gave the dentist a fit of giggles and made me nervous!

The second time was about seven years ago in a meeting with a company I didn't like and their advisor who was a bit of a plank, the advisor came over to me at the end of the meeting and said "you have the same watch as me, good taste" I responded, "no I haven't, mine is a Sea Dweller" - he was wearing a Sub!

Master
    What's your game?
    Random question. Is that Peterhouse?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Only joking Obv........

If I'm in bandit country in third world Britain I do find it a nuisance but then it's my fault for not being sensible.

When I was in NY last year I felt safer (because they do not know if you are carrying)

B
    Same goes in bandit country here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Random question. Is that Peterhouse?

The Perse School.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    The Perse School.
    Yes, founded in 1615 with the 'old' Cambridge Colleges.

2 Nobel prize winners, Dave Gilmour and me.

I'm also an old Fidelian, notable Alumni John Maynard Keyes, the father of modern Economics and Jamie Murray (Andy's brother)

all of which is worthless guff in the real world.