closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alligator strap when swimming?

Craftsman

Alligator strap when swimming?

One of my watches has this strap. Is it ok to swim with it or will the leather perish ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t swim in it. I would have thought it was water resistant rather than waterproof.

I doubt salt water or chlorine would be good for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    I wouldn’t swim in it. I would have thought it was water resistant rather than waterproof.

I doubt salt water or chlorine would be good for it.
    This.

I only wear rubber or resin straps when swimming.

Grand Master
    It wears quite well on an alligator without any issues,oh until it's killed to make a watch strap!,after which it becomes useless in water!!.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    It wears quite well on an alligator.
    Is the alligator only waterproof after a service and a check of all the seals?

Master

Hirsch Paul 🐊

The Hirsch Paul Alligator strap is marketed as 100% waterproof (i.e. not merely water resistant).

I always thought Paul was an usual name for an alligator, but what do I know?

Alligator hide is fairly waterproof from what I learned. But I wouldn't swim with alligator or any strap, because of stitching, padding and backing is not waterproof.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    It wears quite well on an alligator without any issues,oh until it's killed to make a watch strap!,after which it becomes useless in water!!.
    There again, Leather seems entirely waterproof and long lasting when wrapped round a cow, but mysteriously ceases to be when attached to a watch. What an odd world we live in.....

Master

Hirsch Performance range

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I wouldn't swim with alligator or any strap, because of stitching, padding and backing is not waterproof.
    From what I gather, these are all designed with waterproof materials in the Hirsch Paul and all the other straps within Hirsch’s Performance range. I’ve not yet tried one, but this thread on TZ gave some glowing reviews:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The leather straps on my harbour boots (inshore diving) have to be nigh on 20 years old, still going strong with thousands of hours of submersion, guess it's the way they are treated with oils.

I find Croc barely survives normal wear and tear. It's beautiful but not the strongest and loses its lustre pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    There again, Leather seems entirely waterproof and long lasting when wrapped round a cow, but mysteriously ceases to be when attached to a watch. What an odd world we live in.....
    Leaving aside the morality issues of using animal hide for straps, it shouldn’t be rocket science to understand that leather skin on an alive creature and one removed from that creature are two very different things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    The Hirsch Paul Alligator strap is marketed as 100% waterproof (i.e. not merely water resistant).

I always thought Paul was an usual name for an alligator, but what do I know?
    This explains why I haven’t heard from my mate, Gator Paul, for ages.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Leaving aside the morality issues of using animal hide for straps, it shouldn’t be rocket science to understand that leather skin on an alive creature and one removed from that creature are two very different things.
    Not throwing away the leather that comes from our food (beef etc.) seems perfectly fine to me.

The way alligators are bred and killed in Vietnam though seems disgusting.The morality of that situation is highly questionable.