closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supposing you won the lottery

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    That's not true. You can have the assistance and remain anonymous.

Even if Camelot wouldn't help your bank would be falling over itself to refer you to their high net worth team and private bank.
    You know I think your right, I’m sure I’d read that from multiple sources but I can’t find it now and Camelots website seems to support this, sorry.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Once you actually analyse it, spending £100m is all but impossible unless you either gift it or gamble it away.

You buy a £50m house in Chelsea but you haven't really spent the money because a pad in Chelsea is always going to be worth more in 5 years than it is today. The same applies to luxury pads on the coast and in the nicer countryside areas such as the Cotswolds. So you can buy property without remorse.

You could blow a fortune on a luxury yacht but they also increase in value. Buy a Ferrari and that will go up in value and so the story goes on.

Rich people make money by just being alive.

I personally would buy a temple in India and spend my time thinking nice and pleasant thoughts. Just to show I am not perfect, I would wish that the gonads of my enemies would fester, rot and then drop off.
    You should tell that to the people who bought the Chelsea mansions 5 years ago, they might disagree! Also luxury yachts do not increase in value.

10K a month is an absolute scam, surprised people actually falling for it, then again education is not the strongest blah blah blah, yada yada yada..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Buy your very own Rolex dealership, then you can have first dibs on any sports model your heart desires!

Craftsman
    Surprised nobody’s said it yet ... “I’d spend a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I would just squander”.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post

Since money breeds money, I'd expect safe returns of 3-5% on that via a spread of investments, so still going to be hard unloading £300k+ a month.
    My wife would manage that somehow :(

Craftsman
    I'd want to make it safe, but the last thing I'd be thinking about is investing it to make it grow.

It would be a very nice problem to have.

Frankly, if I won £100m thoughts of safe investment strategies would hardly be keeping me awake at night.

You could blow a fortune on a luxury yacht but they also increase in value.
    Not sure where you get that idea Mick but we look after a number of yachting clients and I’ve yet to find a yacht that wasn’t a moneypit.

Grand Master
    I would keep the very small amount needed for an amazing life and use the other 95M to better the lives of others
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Not sure where you get that idea Mick but we look after a number of yachting clients and I’ve yet to find a yacht that wasn’t a moneypit.
    Isn't the rule of thumb (for a new yacht) that annual running costs are about 10% of the yacht's cost? Higher of course for an older boat.

Master
    I’d just buy an MD530FF and waste the rest. Anything left at death can go to charity’s.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Isn't the rule of thumb (for a new yacht) that annual running costs are about 10% of the yacht's cost? Higher of course for an older boat.
    It varies and can even be higher than that. Refit work can be eye-watering. We had one yacht under management that was transported by ship from the Caribbean and when craned into the dry dock in Italy they dropped it 50mm. Repair cost exceeded €3M. Another was a “bargain” repossession which the owner paid €3M for. Superficially in good order but it had been stored in a yard for two years. The owner ended up paying in excess of €1.2M just to get it back into commission, hull cleaned and polished, teak redone and some works to get it coded for commercial charter.

Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I would keep the very small amount needed for an amazing life and use the other 95M to better the lives of others
    Thanks K, I’d love 95M and if you’d need any money later on you're most welcome to come around and take a few cm from the safe.
    Last edited by VDG; 8th September 2019 at 12:20.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    It varies and can even be higher than that. Refit work can be eye-watering. We had one yacht under management that was transported by ship from the Caribbean and when craned into the dry dock in Italy they dropped it 50mm. Repair cost exceeded €3M. Another was a “bargain” repossession which the owner paid €3M for. Superficially in good order but it had been stored in a yard for two years. The owner ended up paying in excess of €1.2M just to get it back into commission, hull cleaned and polished, teak redone and some works to get it coded for commercial charter.

Etc.
    Not to mention cost of the crew, security and fuel.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Thanks K, I’d love 95M and if you’d need any money you're most welcome to come around and take a few cm from the safe.
    You don’t need it and if you think you do then my sincere condolences
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Not to mention cost of the crew, security and fuel.
    Plus insurances, charter broker commissions, management and corporate service fees, berthing fees (some thousands of euros per night if it’s Monaco).

This one's for sale, but Tuesday's Euromillions winner (£133m predicted) won't get close to buying it.

He could charter it, and to be fair that's what millionaires do, charter.
    Billionaires commission and buy them.

My brother is a Director at Edmiston, they have lots of cheap charters....

https://www.edmiston.com/yacht-charter/yachts/kismet-2

12 guests, only a mill/week

If it flies floats or,,,, well you know the rest.
    A lottery win would buy a modest second hand 38ft loa yacht, a year or two of blue water and island hopping sailing then sell it on,
    Last edited by number2; 8th September 2019 at 13:40.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

A couple of years ago I was chatting with a marine engineer we work with at the Monaco show. He pointed out a substantial yacht equipped with all the “toys” including a helicopter and a tender hanging off the back of a size that most people would consider a perfectly adequate cabin cruiser in its own right. He knew the owners- apparently it was their “service yacht” which accompanied everywhere the real yacht that the family and their guests travel on. Another world.

Owl1
    I would shop at Marks and Spencer instead of Tesco .

A story that came through mega/ultra/hyper motor yacht circles a while back.....

A wealthy chap sorts out a weeks charter on a Big Big yacht, perhaps €1,000,000 for the week. Commission for the broker is 2-5%. Wealthy bloke asks who owns the boat.... "that knowledge is not made available to you, sir. To protect our owner. You do understand?" That's fine, he's paying for it through his accounts in the Cayman Islands anyhow. Who needs names.

Chap looks forward to holiday on said lump, but has a big business meeting/deal signing the week before. Amid champagne corks popping between Chairmen of the Board and majority shareholders, he drops the name of the boat charter into conversation. Shows photos on iPhone.

Majority shareholder of other side leans over and says "that's my boat, tell you what, this deal has been so good for us, why don't I let you have the week's rental for free. More Crystal please," Everyone smiles, what are the odds eh?

Intermediate/Charter broker not happy. Where's my 4% of fuck all?

Craftsman

Don’t trust banks

I’d probably stick it in a shoe box under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    I’d probably stick it in a shoe box under the bed.

Apparently thats' what 1million in £20s might look like, so you are going to need a bigger shoe box for £100,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    A story that came through mega/ultra/hyper motor yacht circles a while back.....

A wealthy chap sorts out a weeks charter on a Big Big yacht, perhaps €1,000,000 for the week. Commission for the broker is 2-5%. Wealthy bloke asks who owns the boat.... "that knowledge is not made available to you, sir. To protect our owner. You do understand?" That's fine, he's paying for it through his accounts in the Cayman Islands anyhow. Who needs names.

Chap looks forward to holiday on said lump, but has a big business meeting/deal signing the week before. Amid champagne corks popping between Chairmen of the Board and majority shareholders, he drops the name of the boat charter into conversation. Shows photos on iPhone.

Majority shareholder of other side leans over and says "that's my boat, tell you what, this deal has been so good for us, why don't I let you have the week's rental for free. More Crystal please," Everyone smiles, what are the odds eh?

Intermediate/Charter broker not happy. Where's my 4% of fuck all?
    Good story but knowing a few yacht managers/brokers as I do, there’s no way they wouldn’t get their pound of flesh.

Well if I won 100mil, I'd look after the family and friends and just enjoy life with the rest of it

Master
    £100 million, first buy a big f*** off safe and fill it with £100 notes, sort out the family and then visit my cash stash regularly, I honestly couldn’t see myself spending a pile of money like that before I pop my clogs so why pay anyone to look after it, suspect the will would need to include a lot of charity bags so they could carry away the rest after I’d entered the crem’s fire.

They say money will never bring happiness, though only the rich can say that, and I wouldn't mind trying myself. I always wondered why people went public, maybe its safer the police and such being aware but I would assume not. I would travel, and keep travelling.. a home in every port. I saw a film the oligarch asked what do I own here :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    If i won £1m then first of all I would find a better class of forum to inhabit. This one is full of undesirables.

Craftsman

Ahah

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

Apparently thats' what 1million in £20s might look like, so you are going to need a bigger shoe box for £100,000,000
    You don’t know what size shoes I take!

Master
    Once you actually analyse it, spending £100m is all but impossible unless you either gift it or gamble it away.

You buy a £50m house in Chelsea but you haven't really spent the money because a pad in Chelsea is always going to be worth more in 5 years than it is today. The same applies to luxury pads on the coast and in the nicer countryside areas such as the Cotswolds. So you can buy property without remorse.

You could blow a fortune on a luxury yacht but they also increase in value. Buy a Ferrari and that will go up in value and so the story goes on.

Rich people make money by just being alive.

I personally would buy a temple in India and spend my time thinking nice and pleasant thoughts. Just to show I am not perfect, I would wish that the gonads of my enemies would fester, rot and then drop off.
    Er,.no..when you've spent it you've spent it. This isn't Brewsters Millions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    They say money will never bring happiness, though only the rich can say that, and I wouldn't mind trying myself.
    Quite. There is a saying that is allegedly attributed to various famous people: "I have been poor and unhappy, and I have been rich and unhappy. Rich and unhappy was better".

Or as I like to put it, money doesn’t make you happy, but having choices does. The more money you have the more choices are available.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Or as I like to put it, money doesn’t make you happy, but having choices does. The more money you have the more choices are available.
    Well put.

Indeed but we make bad choices to, its a Pandora box.. Good luck on your win, of course it will be just after mine
    Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Coutts account - I am sure that they have 'advisers' to help with investments etc.

I'd sort the kids out for life, on the condition that they complete their education, and get a full time job (of their choice) before they can access the bulk of the money.

It would be quite difficult to spend £100m and have nothing to show for it (Brewster's Millions ?!) - property and rare cars, whiskies, watches etc will only ever go up in value.

Ill change the life of so many people
    Some i dont even know

Master
    I always heard this sentiment expressed as 'Life is like a s*it sandwich, the more bread you have the less s*itty is seems'.

With a win like that I'd spread some of it around friends and family. Set up trust funds for my kids so they still had to work but could do what they loved doing rather than having to work in a job they hated in order to have a good life. I'd have a house built that was completely self sufficient in energy requirements. I'd donate to a few charities and spend some on toys and travelling.
    I'd then invest the rest in diversified, low risk investments that would give me a good passive income. I'd then set up a small company that would allow me to fiddle with whatever project took my fancy and have fun with work.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    £100m invested in 1,176 savings accounts at the FSA protection limit of £85k paying on average 1.5% is still going to earn you £125k a month!

Since money breeds money, I'd expect safe returns of 3-5% on that via a spread of investments, so still going to be hard unloading £300k+ a month.
    Splitting the money up among that many accounts wouldn't protect it. The £85k protection is not per account, it's not even per bank, its per 'financial institution', which could consist of multiple banks. So halifax and bank of Scotland are linked, you could have multiple accounts across both banks and you would only be covered for 1 lot of £85k, same with HSBC & First direct, etc etc.

Brighty

I'd buy the biggest piece of unmolested land I could find, give it back to the wild and set up a charitable trust to keep it that way.
    Then I'd declare independence and live in a shack in the middle of it brandishing an old shotgun shouting "get orf moy laaand!". I'd also grow a beard down to my belt and cultivate a lazy eye. With the rest of the money, I'd buy gold, jewels and treasure, stick it all in a big trunk and bury it. Then I'd leave a series of dastardly clues, each clue more dastardly than the last, so that after my death generations of treasure hunters will have web forums discussing how to solve the riddle of the one-eyed beardy old bastards loot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I'd buy the biggest piece of unmolested land I could find, give it back to the wild and set up a charitable trust to keep it that way.
    Then I'd declare independence and live in a shack in the middle of it brandishing an old shotgun shouting "get orf moy laaand!". I'd also grow a beard down to my belt and cultivate a lazy eye. With the rest of the money, I'd buy gold, jewels and treasure, stick it all in a big trunk and bury it. Then I'd leave a series of dastardly clues, each clue more dastardly than the last, so that after my death generations of treasure hunters will have web forums discussing how to solve the riddle of the one-eyed beardy old bastards loot.
    <chuckle>

I believe a SS daytona will cost around £20m in a year or so. I'll get 5 of those

Master
    would none of us leave to eg Switzerland/Monaco? Switzerland would prob be my choice. But I'm of a certain age (60) and would just want to ride my bike in the sun. I'd make sure my wife/daughter were covered and I'd want my daughter to do what she wanted in life without worrying about money

Dastardly is such an underused word, and that is a real shame. Thank you for bringing it back to life, even if only for a brief moment.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    It would be quite difficult to spend £100m and have nothing to show for it
    £100m of fresh fruit and veg. :-)

Master
    I’d be very surprised as I do not take part in “the lottery.”

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Fantastic! My goal in life is to be a rich but not need it, one-eyed beardy old bastard.

I have always said I don't think I would give away huge sums, I would rather invest it wisely and give a constant flow of the interest /income to good causes including the fundraiser here, I like property investing so would ramp that right up.

Personal spending, What a dream it would be to go a big auction and bid on vintage Daytona's, Bakelite GMT's and just keep putting your hand up until it's yours with no worries of money at all, same with classic cars.

I would also love to set up a large nature reserve with either a river or lake as part of it and have a home within the grounds, another dream would be to fish some of the great reefs and archipelagos around the world, also go to Africa with big Canon telephotos and capture the Safari experience at its best.................... am I going on now, perhaps I need to win the jackpot first!

Master
    I've put a decent amount of thought into this. The first thing I do is take anonymity. I may not need security if I'm anonymous and sufficiently quiet about my wealth, however if I go public I'm definitely going to need it. The discretion thing shouldn't be too much of an issue. There are a lot of overly blingy, flash things that hold no appeal to me, so I won't be tipping off people that way. Most of my money would go into a series of accounts with several ultra-discreet banks. Some money would go into property - half into a rental portfolio managed professionally, and half into a property development company, albeit one with a bit of a difference. A few well-chosen charities would receive anonymous 6 figure donations.

I'd find a large-ish, unmodernised (ie, not ruined) period house and fill it with beautiful art and objects. While my preference is for the antique over the new, there are a few exceptionally talented modern artists and craftspeople who create works that I think are beautiful, and some sizable commissions would be headed their way.

I'd go to Harley Street and have full health check-up, and as I've let myself go over the last few years I'd hire a personal trainer to whip me back into shape. While in London a visit to Savile Row for some quality suits and shoes is on the to do list. I like classical music and opera, so tickets to Bayreuth and some other music festivals are a must. I like the idea of learning a musical instrument to a really high standard. I quite enjoy poker, so I'd enter some of the big EPT/WPT tournaments. After that? Enjoy my life, and hope that I can find someone special to share it with. You know, all the usual stuff.

I’m good friends with a superyacht skipper who reckons 1M/ metre if you don’t go barmy
    The one he skippers (74M)has £120M of art on board....
    It doesn’t buy you happiness, just the type of misery you’ll prefer!