closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supposing you won the lottery

Supposing you won the lottery

You've just won £100m pounds on Euromillions. How do you invest it and keep it safe? You presumably wouldn't want to keep it all in one place, so how do you safely split it up?

Unfortunately, I'm not even asking for a friend.

Blog Entries
    I am told that the lottery company can put winners in touch with financial advisors. A useful thing, I suspect.

I'd split the money up as well as as I could into multiple, relatively well-regarded banks in several countries. Well, as well-regarded as one can get today. I'd move some to Bitcoin, some to UK legal tender gold coins, not for investment but simply for (relatively) safe storage under my personal control. Try to balance my storage risk across countries and types of storage.

Then there's investment... that's another story. £100M is enough to decently balance fun/high risk/personal ambition/personal causes vs. low risk/long term growth/reasonable income.

Blog Entries
    Don't worry, buy 5 Rolex's from grey dealers and it'd all be gone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Don't worry, buy 5 Rolex's from grey dealers and it'd all be gone
    LOL

Hookers and blow would be the standard answer. Plus an mx5 and a sports rolex if you can find one.

Sure I heard somewhere they provide financial types to help advise you. My guess is it'd be split up to minimise risk. Even on fairly cautious investments I'd guess you could live comfortably on the returns.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    They will only provide support and financial assistance if you agree to go public, which brings the associated notoriety issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    They will only provide support and financial assistance if you agree to go public, which brings the associated notoriety issues.
    Really? That's a bit unfriendly.

Oh well, I am somewhat unlikely ever to need to worry about it.

Craftsman
    Boring answer would be to meet with a number of wealth managers/shared family office types with me picking one to let manage the everything and just enjoy whatever we budget to spend.

If I were to manage it myself:

Initially would be very defensive with just 30% into global equities (would go direct to one of the lost cost etf providers like vanguard). 5% gold which would be a long term hedge.

65% I'd have in 1-10 year cash accounts/bonds hopefully just paying above inflation.

As those ended I'd further invest in equities, bringing the overall total there up to around 60% by year 10.

On top of the equities (built up over the 10 years) I'd have 15% in residential rental properties, managed by a small team so wouldn't be hands on at all.

Remaining 20% to stay in bonds which would hopefully be yielding more than they are now!

If I won £100m, the first thing I would is not tell the wife.

£100 million is a nice win to have under your belt but I reckon the £10,000 a month for life would be a lot easier to manage and live with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    £100 million is a nice win to have under your belt but I reckon the £10,000 a month for life would be a lot easier to manage and live with.
    In that case the £100m win is a problem I'd like to very much have haha

Blog Entries
    Probably give most of it away in some sort of charity trust setup let’s face it how much do we really need even after taking care of kids etc?

If you had 80M left that’s £800,000 p.a. @ 1% retaining capital
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    let’s face it how much do we really need even after taking care of kids etc?
    About £500M ideally. ;-)

There's a house in Hampstead (actually the largely hidden hamlet of North End) that I've lusted over since I was a teenager. It was on the market recently at £14M and it was a good investment even at that price. It seems to me that £100M, whilst being unimaginable money as far as most people are concerned, still doesn't get you as far as you might think. I guess it depends on one's dreams and ambitions. :-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th September 2019 at 14:51.

100 Million?

Im not sure about worrying about "investing"! It would be quite hard to spend that amount at my age! Investing it would be the least of my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    100 Million?

Im not sure about worrying about "investing"! It would be quite hard to spend that amount at my age! Investing it would be the least of my thoughts!
    I think you are right.

I love investing as a hobby but as I guess most on people on here are middle aged on average it would take a hell of a lot to make a mess of 100 million as long as you kept away from yachts, gambling etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

£10k a month isn't that much money - a bit like a decent London salary after tax and if I won that amount it wouldn't be enough for me to stop working!. £100m is way more interesting.

For me I'd stick 30% in a Vanguard Lifestrategy tracker, 20% in cash, 20% in business interests, 15% family, 5% charity and 10% I'd go absolutely mental with and buy watches, trinkets, holidays etc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Anyone know what the minimum buy in is for the Carlyle Group?

Master
    I would make a lot of peoples lives a lot easier. Not massive amounts just paying mortgages off.

Then there are about 10 people I have come across in life that stand out as genuine decent human beings! I would give these enough to retire.

Looking at smiles has got to be a better feeling than looking a zero’s on a screen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    About £500M ideally. ;-)

There's a house in Hampstead (actually the largely hidden hamlet of North End) that I've lusted over since I was a teenager. It was on the market recently at £14M and it was a good investment even at that price. It seems to me that £100M, whilst being unimaginable money as far as most people are concerned, still doesn't get you as far as you might think. I guess it depends on one's dreams and ambitions. :-)
    Fair enough but if you were left with 80M after buying and refurbing etc still £66K pm before tax is not a bad income, you could just about pay Camden’s council tax

Another semi-boring answer.

One solution, as well as other investments would be to buy some prime commercial real estate inside a newly formed limited company. You employ a nice chap to run and manage it all for you for £60k a year and sit back and relax.

A department store and restaurant/bar or two in Knightsbridge, a hotel and shop or two in Cambridge, a few warehouses in central England and it’d be gone, but you’d have a huge yield coming in and it’s be “safe as houses.”

You’d obviously need a lovely house in each location to stay at when visiting your empire. And a helicopter to get around in.

Not that I’ve been thinking about this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    £10k a month isn't that much money - a bit like a decent London salary after tax and if I won that amount it wouldn't be enough for me to stop working!. £100m is way more interesting.

For me I'd stick 30% in a Vanguard Lifestrategy tracker, 20% in cash, 20% in business interests, 15% family, 5% charity and 10% I'd go absolutely mental with and buy watches, trinkets, holidays etc

10K a month after tax isnt "that much money"?

Id be very happy to get a fifth of that!

Maths was never my strong point! I do get a fifth of that..im quite decently paid for where I live. ive lots of friends though, who are bringing up kids, who would love to bring home 2 grand a month! Saying that...I live in the "impoverished" south Wales valleys!
    Last edited by valleywatch; 7th September 2019 at 16:14. Reason: more info!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    About £500M ideally. ;-)

I think I know the one you mean, and I similarly lusted over it...!

I’ve worked for a few lottery winners. Running a 9-figure estate is likely to be a full-time job for someone, or depending on what you buy possibly a small dedicated team. I don’t buy lottery tickets so I’ll never be a lottery winner, but if I came into a windfall of that size I’m fortunate to work with some of the best lawyers, accountants and investment people. And I might even be able to afford to pay a firm like mine! But one thing no amount of money would make me do is stop work. Having spent my working life dealing with wealthy people, the happiest are those who remain economically active and grounded.

£10k a month isn't that much money ...
    I can only assume you're joking. [Or this comment is solely made in

P.S. OK, I take that back - fair point when viewed solely in relation to a Lottery win and compared to a bulk lump sum award. For daily life for the normal punter on the street, I'm assuming no-one would make that point (well, maybe Skyman ).
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 7th September 2019 at 16:52.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I can only assume you're joking.
    There are significant regional variations though... in London it would be far less uncommon than in remote parts of Britain.

One thing I have always wondered is!

If I won and only did the usual give away to family , holidays, bigger house purchased outright no mortgage lets say spent 40 odd milion

I then put the rest of the money in a bank account, no high interest ,did no investments , basically spent only what i needed when I needed

Would I ever need to pay tax again ? As the winnings were / are Tax free

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I can only assume you're joking. [Or this comment is solely made in

P.S. OK, I take that back - fair point when viewed solely in relation to a Lottery win and compared to a bulk lump sum award. For daily life for the normal punter on the street, I'm assuming no-one would make that point (well, maybe Skyman ).
    Don't get me wrong it isn't chicken feed but it isn't life changing like £100m would be.

Master
    Once you actually analyse it, spending £100m is all but impossible unless you either gift it or gamble it away.

You buy a £50m house in Chelsea but you haven't really spent the money because a pad in Chelsea is always going to be worth more in 5 years than it is today. The same applies to luxury pads on the coast and in the nicer countryside areas such as the Cotswolds. So you can buy property without remorse.

You could blow a fortune on a luxury yacht but they also increase in value. Buy a Ferrari and that will go up in value and so the story goes on.

Rich people make money by just being alive.

I personally would buy a temple in India and spend my time thinking nice and pleasant thoughts. Just to show I am not perfect, I would wish that the gonads of my enemies would fester, rot and then drop off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    One thing I have always wondered is!

If I won and only did the usual give away to family , holidays, bigger house purchased outright no mortgage lets say spent 40 odd milion

I then put the rest of the money in a bank account, no high interest ,did no investments , basically spent only what i needed when I needed

Would I ever need to pay tax again ? As the winnings were / are Tax free
    The winnings are but any dividends/ interest derived from are taxable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I think I know the one you mean, and I similarly lusted over it...!
    Well well! Small world. ;-)

I couldn’t spend that much so I would build good quality decent-size housing and let them out at social rents to people that couldn’t afford to buy. I would also like to subsidise public transport in my area so that everyone who wanted to could travel for free.

Overseas I would have projects to dig wells to provide clean water sources to those that don’t currently have access to clean water.

I would have a shower fitted in my house. Running a bath every morning is such a faff.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    I'll carry on dreaming....

Since I started playing the lottery, the first car I wanted was a DB7. We're now onto the DB11 & I still haven't had more than four numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Hookers and blow ....

Best answer so far....

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu
    Hookers and blow

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa
    Best answer so far....
    ... And waste the rest of the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Safe in the knowledge that the first £85,000 is covered by the FSCS. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Hookers and blow ....

With that sort of money you want to be a Banker or Politician

Master
    Now imagine being Raheem Sterling on £350,000 per week without all the other add ons.........

"If it flies, floats, or f*cks rent it." - Felix Dennis.

Close enough for me, Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    The winnings are but any dividends/ interest derived from are taxable

So bugger all then at current interest rates ! mind you bugger all of 50 million is still alot of money , more than my current obligation to HMRC

Master
    10-15 on house(s)
    2-5 on toys/watches/cars etc
    5 wider family (mainly buying houses)
    5 special causes / personal projects
    50 spread across shares in 5-8 FTSE 100 companies paying 5%ish divs
    20 US tech shares

Job done. Risks pretty well diversified. Plenty of cash to play with and future income. Only remaining thing is tax planning to ensure tax man does not get much with respect to inheritance tax.

Don't get me wrong it isn't chicken feed but it isn't life changing like £100m would be.
    I think that's the appeal.

Either would be nice, but 10k a month would be plenty for me to never work again and enjoy life.

I wouldn't be buying a Caribbean island, but I could holiday enough for my tastes.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be honest £100m invested badly will still make you more money than you ever need.

Even if it was a savings or bond account, you'll have £1m a year or more.

I'd get good advice from a wealth manager, but if I were on my own in making decisions I'd probably start by buying a lot of ex local authority property and pay someone to manage the portfolio.

Worked well for Robbie Fowler.

No, not like 100m, but if an additional 10k per month guaranteed every month for 30 years isn’t life changing, then you are already at the point you think you are working towards, or really need to think about priorities.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it would be lifechanging for me, the mortgage would be paid off within a year and I could go part time or maybe, move into consulting so I could work when I wanted, doing what I love more.

I'm not sure I could adjust to a jet set life in Monaco :)

I think £100m could (potentially) mess your life up and lead to lots of resentment or jealousy, but this has no downside.

I'd get a great big turnip in the country.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    You've just won £100m pounds on Euromillions. How do you invest it and keep it safe? You presumably wouldn't want to keep it all in one place, so how do you safely split it up?

Unfortunately, I'm not even asking for a friend.
    £20m for friends and family.
    £20m for good causes and spur of the moment generosity.

Usual mad stuff with the rest :-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    With a 100m you might just be able to visit some investment bankers. Borrow another 900m make some billionaire friends and all band to together to buy Rolex.

You could sort out those supply issues, bankrupt the grey market and sell thousands of watches.

Craftsman
    £100m invested in 1,176 savings accounts at the FSA protection limit of £85k paying on average 1.5% is still going to earn you £125k a month!

Since money breeds money, I'd expect safe returns of 3-5% on that via a spread of investments, so still going to be hard unloading £300k+ a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

That's not true. You can have the assistance and remain anonymous.

Even if Camelot wouldn't help your bank would be falling over itself to refer you to their high net worth team and private bank.